TSA to Allow Pocket Knives on Airplanes

Field Notes

March 06, 2013

TSA to Allow Pocket Knives on Airplanes

By Chad Love

Small pocket knives, hockey sticks and wiffleball bats are apparently no longer threats to airline safety. They will now be allowed to be carried on to airplanes instead of being confiscated and sent to wherever it is that confiscated pen knives have been sent to for the past 12 years...

From this story on usatoday.com:
The Transportation Security Administration will allow travelers to bring small knives, golf clubs and hockey sticks into airline cabins for the first time since 2001, TSA chief John Pistole announced Tuesday. The change, intended to conform with international rules, will take effect April 25. The announcement came as Pistole spoke to a security conference in New York, and marks the first big loosening of restrictions for carry-on items since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

However, don't break out your big honkin' tactical folders just yet. There are restrictions to what you can bring aboard. According to the story, knives cannot be fixed blades, must not have a "molded grip." Blades cannot be longer than 2.36 inches or wider than half an inch. Locking blades are not permitted. And box cutters or razor blades are still verboten. In addition, you can now carry on "novelty size and toy bats less than 24 inches long and weighing less than 24 ounces," as well as pool cues, ski poles, hockey and lacrosse sticks and up to two golf clubs.

Anyone ever lose a favorite pocket knife at a TSA checkpoint? I have, and it sucked. Hopefully, these new rules can help prevent that from happening in the future.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

What designates a "molded" grip? Is that a grip that is permanently attached to the knife?

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I can dress and butcher a deer with a pocket knife that has this short blade. Why couldn't someone use one as a weapon? Of course I never considered trying to carry one on a plane since 09/11/01 either.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

They took my swiss army knife. One just like the first one in the picture.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bsheahan1229 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

My dad's friend's coworker goes to the TSA and buys back confiscated knives by the pound. He picks out all the good ones. I wonder if he needs to have friend there.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I don't really care what the TSA does, but I have been on uncountable planes in my life and have yet to ever have a need for a knife from point A to point B.

from jay wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Box cutters have blades that are an inch to an inch and half and they are banned. But we can bring our buck knives on board as long as they are shorter than 2.36 inches. I think its a bad idea. If you have to have your knives when you travel then you can always check them in. I flew a week a month for 6 years for a job and never needed a pocket knife when on the flight.

from rbrand wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

bounty 1 & jay, it's not the point A to point B or on the flight part that is the problem. It's having needing a knife at your destination and not being able to carry on a bag. So, you are stuck with the checked bag fee if you want a knife at your destination.

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

I'm kind of nervous about interpretation. I carry a case xx knife that fits the size criteria, but has 3 blades, is that acceptable (vs. scissors and tools in swiss army style)? What about knives with serrated blade and metal grip that "look scary"? Can you have in your pocket, or just in the carry on? I think it's a great move by TSA, but weary of it's implimentation.

from Chewylouie wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

My knife certainly wouldn't cut it. It is a big knife. The blade is over an inch wide and probably 3 or 4 inches long. It is a big scary "tactical" looking knife.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from bsheahan1229 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from jay wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from rbrand wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from Chewylouie wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

They took my swiss army knife. One just like the first one in the picture.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report