Behold the "Elk Amino"!

Field Notes

April 29, 2013

Behold the "Elk Amino"!

By Kristyn Brady

California car collector and diehard outdoorsman Ron Rose commissioned airbrush artist Rick Primeau to create a tribute to the hunt on his newly restored 1964 Chevy El Camino.

"People get whiplash when they see this car. The orange color is as bright as a hunting vest, the lower rocker panel has elk with a light background ghosted into it, and the hood—well the elk looks like it has ripped its way out from under the car. I worked a lot of action into the rendering," says Primeau, who opened his shop, Primo Customs, with his wife 18 years ago. His work has been featured on The Discovery Channel program "Rides" and TLC's "OverHaulin'."

"Ron's brother started the restoration and they brought me in to tackle the paint job. At first Ron just wanted something special on the tailgate, but then he saw some of the wildlife that I'd painted for other projects and suddenly we were taking it to a whole different level."

And so the Elk Amino was anointed.

"The whole job, from taking down the failing old paint, doing a bit of body work, and all the airbrushing and painting took a little more than 4 months. I'm doing another car for Ron that is painted head to toe with fish, and I have almost a year invested in the paint work alone," says Primeau. "Some people ask why I'd paint an elk on an El Camino. Because I can. My work wakes me up in the morning and keeps me dreaming at night."

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 50 weeks 4 days ago

Nice idea but he needs to work on the antlers a bit. Well, actually a lot. His perspective is messed up. He has a brow tine on the left side hooked backwards somehow. The royal points are the ones that should be bursting through the hood not the last two. Were they facing backwards too?

from Rick Primeau wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks Ontario, I will work on them, Maybe on something of yours.. I'm not a hunter nor have I even seen one in person all I can do is go off of pictures and what the customer wants, Thanks for noticing I hope you enjoyed the car for the car and like the fact that people are just as crazy about Elk and the sport..

from Blackwolf wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago

The Elk Amino looks sharp the primeau, I'd watch you put a lot of time, sweat, and tears into all of your work. It turn out great in my book I used to hunt if my legs would aloud me to. Best they do need airbrushing art works on field and stream

from Tamara Chapman wrote 50 weeks 2 days ago

You did an amazing job! I wish they would have used some of the awesome detail shots you have on facebook of his face though. The detail on this is mind- boggling!

We need to see more stories like this one, where people have taken their passions and put them on their vehicles for all to see just how much they love the outdoors.

from bshepherd96 wrote 50 weeks 2 days ago

Nice idea
bad paint job

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from TJ Verrett wrote 50 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice work Rick.
And to those who don't like obviously
you have no taste.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 49 weeks 6 days ago

Rick, it is a nice idea and you know what you're doing with your paints. Just gotta work on the perspective. Look in my profile photos and you will see something that might be helpful. That newspaper clipping of me with the big bull I took in 1971 is not only an exceptional rack, it's almost perfectly symmetrical (which is rare) and exactly the angle that will work for what you want. Now look at the other big bull almost the same size taken ten years later. That photo is shot from the side so you can see how the last two points tip backwards from the royal point. I expect the next elk-camino will be perfect. Good luck.

from tleichty1989 wrote 46 weeks 4 days ago

Not many people like el camino's anymore. Me on the other hand I have always loved them. They are the most functional of all cars. Economic and able to hall all the stuff in your trailer to the dump.

from Rick Primeau wrote 50 weeks 3 days ago