Slow-Motion Video Shows How Goshawk Catches Prey in Midair

Field Notes

April 11, 2013

Slow-Motion Video Shows How Goshawk Catches Prey in Midair

By Chad Love

This is what the end of life looks like if you're a small bird and a goshawk is after you. The BBC filmed this jaw-dropping footage to see what happens when a goshawk extends its talons in flight to snatch prey. And if you like this video, here is some amazing slow-motion footage of a goshawk navigating what seemed like impossibly narrow paths through obstacles and small openings.

While goshawks don't appear in my area often, I did once watch a falconer's goshawk take a gadwell. It was an amazing thing to behold, but I had trouble keeping up with the action because it was so blindingly fast. Sharp-shinned and Cooper's hawks, the goshawk's accipiter cousins, habitually take birds off my backyard feeder, and I am constantly amazed at how they manage to catch such small and speedy birds at such high speeds. Watching this video makes me glad I am not a sparrow.

from mkorpal wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Truly awe-inspiring. Raptors are spectacular creatures.

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 4 days ago

thats pretty cool

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 4 days ago

There are more serious injuries from goshawk attacks in the national parks every year than bear attacks. Stay the hell away from their nests! They are fearless! Had one nail our bus in Alaska.

They are also absolute wizards at picking ruff grouse from their burrows under the snow. The grouse leave a tiny breathing hole and the hawks can pick that out. They'll snatch the bird right out of the snow when it doesn't look like there is anything there. I have seen some incredible slow motion footage on TV of this. An admirable bird for sure.

from mkorpal wrote 1 year 4 days ago

Truly awe-inspiring. Raptors are spectacular creatures.

from small game sportsman wrote 1 year 4 days ago