New Bill Would Allow Crossbows During Bow Season in Wisconsin

Field Notes

May 17, 2013

New Bill Would Allow Crossbows During Bow Season in Wisconsin

By CJ Lotz

Wisconsin is moving closer to allowing hunters to use crossbows during archery deer hunting season. One of the top deer-hunting states, Wisconsin has also been one of the strictest against crossbow hunting.

The state Legislature is reviewing a bill that would create a crossbow license and allow hunters to pursue deer with the weapon. Proponents of Assembly Bill 194 say crossbows recruit new hunters and retain older hunters because they are easy to use.

The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association had opposed an earlier draft of the bill, but now supports the version that creates the separate crossbow license. The bill has strong bipartisan support and is backed by a number of wildlife and hunting groups.

Read more here.

from Bioguy01 wrote 48 weeks 23 hours ago

It's good to see Wisconsin has made progress with regard to crossbows...hopefully NY will be next!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckstopper wrote 48 weeks 13 hours ago

Why is it that every state's Bow Hunter Association is oppossed to crossbows? It would be much akin to Rifle Associations against shotguns. Each has its place, WTH.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bowhunter73 wrote 47 weeks 6 days ago

How about people stop being lazy and shoot a real bow. For kids under 18 and people over 65 its different, but I hope this doesn't pass.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from chuckles wrote 47 weeks 6 days ago

bowhunter73 all of us young, old and crippled folks really appreciate your sympathy. Do some research and figure it out.
Real bow indeed. Almost everyone I know who has to shoot a crossbow would rather be shooting a compound but can't. Who the hell are you to deny folks the opportunity to keep archery hunting?

from wisc14 wrote 47 weeks 5 days ago

the wbh is nothing but a group of huge crybabies. they want their hunt during the rut and do not want anyone or anything interfering with it. they are constantly whining about not seeing deer and feel that with crossbows being let into the archery season more deer will be harvested.
and i'm saying this as an archery hunter who has no intention of using crossbows

from mayoaaron wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago

this is such BS, able bodied hunters should not be using a crossbow, it's not even a bow, it's a gun that shoot arrows

from buckhunter wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago

I'm a little surprised by the negative reactions. I've always considered it odd how the compound guys will take any advantage they can get for improved shooting accuracy and distance between peep sights, fall away rest, 80% let-off. lighted sights, stabilizers and what not but deny added advantages for other hunters.

Many will argue compound bows are not bows...

from buckstopper wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago

A real bow is a recurve like the ones I grew up shooting like Ben Pearson. No sights, cedar shaft arrows and finger for a rest, broadheads you had to sharpen by hand and practice shooting a bale of hay in the backyard. I use a compound bow now with fiber optics, peep rear sight, string dampeners, whisker biscuit rest and 80% let off. I also keep a crossbow to invite friends and family who may not have a bow to have something to use that they can hunt me when oppourtunity arises. The "purest" bowhunting associations just want to put on airs of superiority which does nothing to promote hunting. Look ya'll hunting is becoming a lost art. People are pulled in many directions and don't have time to devote to the practice it takes to become proficient to hunt. Every state will tell you license sales are down. We need more people to purchase hunting licenses. If you tell them to be a "real" hunting you must do this must do that newcomers will not be there in the next generation. I am for anything that promotes new hunters and extends the season for everyone.

from nehunter92 wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago

I can certainly see why some “traditional” bow hunters may react adversely to crossbows. Being neither a compound nor crossbow hunter, I have no real standing to compare the relative advantages of both. I will say that while crossbows may be easier to aim, featuring rifle like sights and a traditional trigger setup, compounds have their own advantages as well, lighter draws perhaps allowing for multiple shots in some (not most) situations. At the end of the day, it’s just apples and oranges.
What I can say is this; I don’t believe that any one of us has any moral standing to which to pass judgment on the hunting methods of others. At the end of the day, we are all just harvesting Deer. Perhaps I like to use my rifle instead of my shotgun, or some scoff at the idea of inline muzzleloaders, favoring flintlocks instead. Does that mean shotgun hunting and modern muzzleloaders should be banned? Here’s the other question, does it make any difference to the deer? There are many who say that hunting itself is wrong, does that suddenly give them the right to ban it? Of course not. What would the compound guys say if long bow hunters suddenly decried modern bows? What if that one kid who killed a Deer with an atlatl suddenly demanded special privileges?
I guess what I am trying to say is that none of us has moral superiority over another. We all pursue game in our own ways, and as long as such actions are sustainable, none of us has the right to look down upon the other. Do you like the extra challenge of a longbow? Great! Are you looking to put meat on the table? Also great! In the end, it’s all just hunting. Perhaps I find it more honest to hunt one way over the other, but it’s not my place to call it “better” than another way. I’m not the big man upstairs after all.

from Dan Krohn wrote 46 weeks 4 days ago

bowhunter73, I am guessing that by your post you shoot a recurve with fingers, no sight, finger rest, cedar arrows and broadheads that have to be sharpened...the priority of any hunter should be to harvest an animal as humanely as possible...if that means more hunters will use a crossbow so be it...everyone has opinions and preferences for what they use for hunting or any other activity...should we outlaw graphite shafts on golf clubs? carts? fiberglass fishing rods and new spinning reels? no gps allowed in the woods? you can hunt by camping in a tent only? no 50k truck to haul all of your gear? just enjoy the freedoms we have!

from skyhunter44 wrote 43 weeks 2 days ago

funny how those opposed to the use of crossbows call others lazy. funny thing is many bowhunting camps that I have visited were showcases of compound shooters performing very poorly from a standpoint of accuracy both on the range and in the field. Misses in the field were common place and just laughed off. Now from a standpoint of preparedness you could call these compound shooters unprepared to make accurate shots at game animals. Would that make them lazy.

Now on the other hand isn't a weapon that can be shot accurately with less practice a good thing when you consider how few hunters put in enough practice secessions regardless of weapon choice?

I shoot a Bowtech compound bow with all the latest technological bells and whistles and would welcome the addition of crossbows in NY's archery season. I'm not a hypocrite, and I also don't think this weapon needs a separate season or license as what appears to be the case in Wisconsin. Arrows shot from the stored energy of any pair of bow limbs perform similar. In fact compound shooters can outshoot any crossbow in offhand competition.

I'm also a fan of getting anyone who struggles to shoot a hand drawn bow back in the game. Age alone cannot possibly define who those potential hunters might be.

from buckhunter wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago

Many will argue compound bows are not bows...

from buckstopper wrote 47 weeks 4 days ago