Video: Did This Guy Hit a Deer With His Truck on Purpose?

Field Notes

May 09, 2013

Video: Did This Guy Hit a Deer With His Truck on Purpose?

By CJ Lotz

Any decent hunter knows you never let good venison go to waste. If the grill of your truck happens to meet a deer in the road, once you get through cussing a blue streak, you report the accident and ask officials if you can keep the meat. But nobody TRIES to hit a deer, right? Well…

In this surveillance footage, the driver stops for a herd of whitetails, flashes his high beams, backs up, and then accelerates down the road, hitting one of the deer.

Police say the video proves he did it on purpose and the driver was slapped with a reckless driving citation. But he claims one of the deer jumped a guardrail and the collision was accidental.

Read more at WISN.

from SMC1986 wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

The question is what prompted the police to look at the footage in the first place? Most simple deer collisions don't warrant an investigation to the depth of pulling surveillance footage from a nearby building.

from buckhunter wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

If his intention was to strike the deer then why did he stop, flash his lights then proceed. Looks to me he thought they had run away but they ran into his path.

from country road wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

My take is that he's innocent---the deer did run away, and one came back, bad luck for Bambi.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

I agree, it will be a stretch to get a conviction. He was driving a nice truck with no cowcatcher on the front. He wouldn't smack up that nice rig for a puny little doe. C'mon! No one is that stupid! He flashed his lights to get the deer out of there. I'm sure he honked his horn too but it doesn't show up on silent video. The guy is already late for fishing, deer book, and he steps on it to gain lost time. Deer comes up out of the gully, over the guardrail, and into his path. Happened to me just the same way ruining a very fine 1979 Cutlass and a nice buck that had already lost his horns. The deer that guy clobbered was also clearly ruined. No one would do something like that. Certainly not a sportsman on his way to go fishing.

from fng wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

no way is this intentional. The stop and flash was to see if the deer would jump, when they ran the other way he pulled up. The media is fishing; the way they verbally describe this is like he intentionally did it! total balony.

I don't think we can claim the deer, here. Dad had to get out and finish one with a ballpeen hammer after his old Safari hit it years ago. From what he told me it was a big buck, no rack as it was in february

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

I also have a feeling the guy was not watching the road when the deer was struck. Perhaps his cell phone or looking off to his left to see where the deer were. He didn't stop very quickly.

from MattM37 wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

SMC, the news report said that workers at the place with the camera were watching as it happened and called the police.

from hokisama wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

I missed the backing up part. It's difficult because the news people cut part of the video, but I never saw the truck back up. In fact right before the cut in the video it shows the truck moving forward... I hate how the media tries to spin things. If someone were trying to hit a deer, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't stop and flash their lights.

from Nyflyangler wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

I guess how he fares depends whom he draws on the jury hearing this.

Also, if this is has happened to him before. If he has a history of claiming roadkill deer he's hit by accident I'd have to wonder.

from Joe Plonske wrote 46 weeks 4 days ago

In case you missed it the reporter said the video showed the driver backing up and then accelerating at a high speed. Why would you back up if you were not trying to hit a deer?? Clearly that doesn't make sense. I'm from this area where it happened, and you'd be surprised how many people are meat hunters and live off the venison from their kills year round. This guy is probably just another one.

from SMC1986 wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from country road wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

from fng wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

from MattM37 wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

from hokisama wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 48 weeks 5 days ago

I guess how he fares depends whom he draws on the jury hearing this.

from Joe Plonske wrote 46 weeks 4 days ago