Video: High-Tech Hog Shooters Use Drone Spotters and Night Vision Goggles

Field Notes

May 07, 2013

Video: High-Tech Hog Shooters Use Drone Spotters and Night Vision Goggles

By CJ Lotz

Two Air Force engineers in Louisiana have come up with a creative solution for the feral pig problem in the south. The engineers have built a flying robot to locate the hogs with an infrared camera. Check out the video above to see how it works.

An operator flies the plane with a joystick while the drone feeds live video to a screen on the ground. Once the drone spots a pig, a shooter with a night vision scope on the ground shoots it.

from weswes088 wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

Give it strafing abilities and that'll definitely solve the hog problem.

from RJ Arena wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

I guess I am a little paranoid, but when I see this I think,"who is watching them?" I find this a very cool application of technology, even with my Big Brotheritis!

from raildr wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

long video of, NOTHING?

from mexhunter wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

When are we going to draw the line between hunting and killing? I think this goes a little too far.

from HogBlog wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

Mexhunter, this isn't "hunting". It's eradication. It's not intended to be sporting, just effective.

Unfortunately, videos like this do tend to generate ill-will in people who don't know the difference.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 49 weeks 18 hours ago

You guys need to watch this thing. It has nothing to do with pig killing. Not as far as I can see. Just someone with his little girl playing with a very expensive toy. Those were not air force vehicles either. Lotz, do you have clue what your supposed to be doing? Next!

from OldPhart wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

This has got to be the most totally worthless video ever published by Field & Stream . . . by a huge margin! Who is editing this stuff?????

from James Gripp wrote 48 weeks 4 days ago

Who are these guys? Would love their contact info? Awesome stuff.

from raildr wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

long video of, NOTHING?

from mexhunter wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

from weswes088 wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

Give it strafing abilities and that'll definitely solve the hog problem.

from RJ Arena wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

from HogBlog wrote 49 weeks 1 day ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 49 weeks 18 hours ago

from OldPhart wrote 48 weeks 6 days ago

from James Gripp wrote 48 weeks 4 days ago

Who are these guys? Would love their contact info? Awesome stuff.