Angler Going for World Record: Most Fish Caught in 24 Hours

Field Notes

June 24, 2013

Angler Going for World Record: Most Fish Caught in 24 Hours

By Ben Romans

Beginning at 7 a.m. on July 5, Johnny Wilkins of La Grange, Ill., will ply the waters of the Lake View Nature Center in Oak Brook Terrace in an attempt to break the world record for most fish caught by a single angler in a 24-hour period.

According to a Chicago Tribune article, Wilkins, who founded the Chicago School of Fishing and has a list of angling accolades to his credit, says he will fish from shore, using outdated equipment to promote the sport of fishing and benefit two charities: the Ronald McDonald House and Wounded Warrior Project.

“Fishing shouldn’t be something that is done far away, it should be something people do because it is inexpensive and close to home - not just on vacation. . . My fishing tackle will be very similar to that used by our first president George Washington in the colonies over 250 years ago,” he said.

Wilkins said “most people get hung up on electronics, the boat and piles of lures and they never learn the skills or equipment to catch many fish locally.”

The current world record for most fish caught in 24 hours is 2,649, a feat set by Jeff Kolodzinski of Minnesota in 2011. That means Wilkins will need to catch nearly two fish every minute.

from stick500 wrote 42 weeks 4 days ago

Get a tiny jig, a tiny plastic grub or twister tail, knock down the barb, find a big lake filled with bluegills, and just keep moving around the edge. That's about the best way to rack up numbers like that. I caught at least 2 per minute that way in Michigan one summer but I only lasted about 2 hours.
BTW this guy also has a podcast and I like the way he promotes catching rough fish 'cause they're close to cities and plentiful.

from Blue Ox wrote 42 weeks 4 days ago

I wish this guy luck with his goal...nuthin' else to do in this god forsaken state..

from KeyWestFishingC... wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

Wow, over 2000 fish? Someone sure must have been tired after all of that fishing and catching. I hope he gets the record.

from the Preacher wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

That would be an incredible world record. I am curious as to how he got the press before actually doing the deed. I "attempt" that all the time. And for his gear, yes sounds like cane pole with worms for bluegill. which would still be an incredible feat. That many fish by hook and line in any format is incredible.

Very hopeful for you. will be watching and listening for updates. is there a live blog?

If he gets even half way there I will be very impressed.

great summer goal dude.
hope it doesnt rain... (unless you are hoping for rainy forecasts). Dont drive home afterwards!

from stick500 wrote 42 weeks 4 days ago

from Blue Ox wrote 42 weeks 4 days ago

from KeyWestFishingC... wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

from the Preacher wrote 42 weeks 3 days ago

If he gets even half way there I will be very impressed.

great summer goal dude.