Man Kills Rabid Bobcat with 4 Shots from 2 Guns

Field Notes

June 24, 2013

Man Kills Rabid Bobcat with 4 Shots from 2 Guns

By Ben Romans

A Massachusetts man was attacked by an injured, rabid bobcat, and it took four shots from two different firearms to kill the animal.

In an interview with WHDH, Michael Vortuba of Holden, Mass., says he arrived home from work last week and saw something small scurry across his yard, and when he went to investigate, he realized it was an angry bobcat.

“The animal came out of the space between the carport and the house. At that point I heard it growling. I didn’t see quite what the animal was so I took a couple steps away from the truck and away from the carport and I saw that it was a bobcat. I also saw that it had porcupine quills in its face. I didn’t know what to think,” he said.

When the bobcat approached Votruba, he drew a pistol, but tripped walking backwards, giving the bobcat a chance to jump on his legs and chest. When he was able to right himself, Votruba shot the cat, but it didn’t die, so he ran to the house and got a .22 rifle and shot it three more times before it finally died.

Votruba escaped with some torn clothes only—he didn't end up with any scratches or wounds. The bobcat tested positive for rabies, according to WHDH.

from RockySquirrel wrote 42 weeks 6 days ago

Screw the scratches and bites and the bad advice. Rabies can be spread by a flea from a just killed host. Get the freakin shots.

from Steward wrote 42 weeks 6 days ago

Wait...his pistol wasn't sufficient, so he grabbed a .22 rifle? The pistol had to be at least .22, and probably larger. Did he just need a better ability to aim? I've heard testimony that the stress and adrenaline of situations can cause a person to make strange choices. I'm wondering if that happened here (NOTE: no idea how I would have responded).

from airbornedoc wrote 42 weeks 6 days ago

I'm glad he's ok so I can crack a joke.....Maybe his boss is the sheriff and only let's him carry one bullet in his pistol Or maybe he wanted some standoff distance--which actually was some level-headed thinking.

from Longrifle wrote 42 weeks 5 days ago

Wasn't someone else attacked by a rabid bobcat this winter in Mass or maybe NH? With the value of a bobcat pelt it is difficult to imagine there would be many running around.

Oh, wait. Didn't Mass ban leg hold traps? See how that is working out for you. Hope the next victim is not a toddler.

from TinEagle wrote 42 weeks 2 days ago

There were so many anti-gun posts in the Boston Globe and Herald on-line articles over this incident that it was almost comical. The guy just saved himself and they felt bad for the poor kitty. Guess when it doesn't fit your agenda ...

from pwrplnt75 wrote 40 weeks 3 days ago

I know MA hs some of the nations WORST gun laws. This is a great reason why people should be able to carry what there commfortable with!! Not what the Government is comfortable with him owning!!!!!!! And I think I would get a set of shots to be on the safe side. You don't wanna wait with something like rabbies!

from RockySquirrel wrote 42 weeks 6 days ago