Instinctive Shooting: Tim Wells Takes Flying Doves With a Bow

Field Notes

July 05, 2013

Instinctive Shooting: Tim Wells Takes Flying Doves With a Bow

By Ben Romans

Archer Tim Wells is no stranger to tough archery shots. For year’s he’s traveled, hunted and filmed for his outdoor program, Relentless Pursuit. But his recent clip is especially remarkable.

While on a dove hunt, he traded his shotgun for his bow, and manages to pluck several passing birds from the sky with arrows. It’s impressive, and worth a watch.

And if you think that’s amazing, there’s another clip posted on his YouTube channel of him taking the same shots on flying geese.

from SMC1986 wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

Those are some amazing shots. You have to be sponsored to do that for long though. Considering you're losing $30 worth of arrow and heads every shot.

from buckhunter wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

Shooting doves out of the sky is great. The only problem is Tim Wells has the same philosophy with big game. "Let it fly, maybe it'll die" is not how you bow hunt.

from FOX wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

That has to be one of if not the most impressive things I've seen done with the bow. This is also clear evidence i need to practice more.

from Gary Devine wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

Great archery shooting!
I seen guys that can't hit a game bird with a shotgun blast.

from Mike1984 wrote 40 weeks 4 days ago

Is there any meat on doves?

from Dcast wrote 40 weeks 2 days ago

I've watched this guy a lot on TV and he's an amazing shot with his bows, blowgun, and spear! Yeah occasionally he has mistakes but we all do. He is amazing with long and recurve bows and just as good a shot if not better than Tred Barta, Fred Eichler, and Byron Ferguson(he's exhibition shooter so he's in a different category). I have not seen him take any reckless shots but I have been proven wrong many times before. Regardless he is amazing with a bow and I look up to him and those mentioned above with their skill with a stickbow and his general primitive hunting.

from wisc14 wrote 40 weeks 2 days ago

obviously he doesn't pay for his arrows...

from FirstBubba wrote 40 weeks 1 day ago

How in the world did AmerInds survive with no sights on their bows?

At about 9 years old, I went to an archery range in San Antonio, Texas. They had a deer target running on a rail around the "infield". My brother-in-law was amazed as I lobbed arrow after arrow into the running target, right into the kill zone!
The bow was a public range cheapie that probably came from Montgomery Wards or some such. The arrows were those $1-a-dozen cedar shafts available at any Five &Dime in those days. (1960) There was no trick. I was just truly shooting "instinct"! I hadn't been "taught" differently.
I bought my first "compound about 1977. The store owner had a fit until I put "pins" on it. I couldn't hit anything consistently. I finally just quit bow hunting. I started again about 2005. Still couldn't hit anything. I finally gave the compound away and went back to "recurve" without sights.Even with bad shoulders and over 60, I do quite well.
Instinct is better than sight pins for me.
Draw and release works better for me than draw, hold and release.
You just gotta learn to "trust" your "gut"!

from INCOMING wrote 40 weeks 14 hours ago

Looks like a cattle ranchers worst nightmare to me. Good shooting though Tim.

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Instinctive shooting is always impressive, and has been demonstrated in many formats. And it can also be done, and should be applied to shotgun shooting. Key is the hard focus on the target, and no conscious thought on aiming.

from goldhunter wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

That is very impressive. I was hunting at a very small marsh and saw a guy trying to shoot ducks with a bow. he wasn't very impressive missing everyone... on the water.

from buckhunter wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

from SMC1986 wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

from FOX wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

from Gary Devine wrote 40 weeks 5 days ago

Great archery shooting!
I seen guys that can't hit a game bird with a shotgun blast.

from Mike1984 wrote 40 weeks 4 days ago

Is there any meat on doves?

from Dcast wrote 40 weeks 2 days ago

from wisc14 wrote 40 weeks 2 days ago

obviously he doesn't pay for his arrows...

from FirstBubba wrote 40 weeks 1 day ago

How in the world did AmerInds survive with no sights on their bows?

Instinct is better than sight pins for me.
Draw and release works better for me than draw, hold and release.
You just gotta learn to "trust" your "gut"!

from INCOMING wrote 40 weeks 14 hours ago

Looks like a cattle ranchers worst nightmare to me. Good shooting though Tim.

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago