New Android App Pinpoints Homes and Businesses of Gun Owners

Field Notes

July 12, 2013

New Android App Pinpoints Homes and Businesses of Gun Owners

By Ben Romans

A new Android app released on Google Play’s online store allows users to add detailed locations of possible gun owners or gun-owning businesses to a map database, and is already drawing a lot of fire.

Once sites are geolocated, they can be shared with the world. Why? To supposedly let users of the app locate “risks” in their neighborhood—risks the app’s creator says could include homes and businesses of suspected unsafe gun owners, unsafe public lands, or where rights to own or use a particular firearm don’t exist.

The Gun Geo Marker App made its debut on July 7. As of this morning, the app has been downloaded more than 2,000 times, though most users are rating it one out of five stars. A headline across the app’s download page says “Geolocate Dangerous Guns and Owners with the Gun Geo Marker,” with the following description:

Geolocation means marking dangerous sites on the App's map so that you and others can be aware of the risks in your neighborhood.

The Gun Geo Marker operates very simply, letting parents and community members mark, or geolocate, sites associated with potentially unsafe guns and gun owners. These locations are typically the homes or businesses of suspected unsafe gun owners, but might also be public lands or other locations where guns are not handled safely, or situations where proper rights to own or use any particular type of firearm may not exist.

Electronically marking these locations can help others in the area learn about their geography of risk from gun accidents or violence. No matter what your safety concern with firearms might be, you should feel free to use this tool to provide the most accurate information you can such that others can make their own safety decisions.

The comment field on the same page is already being bombarded by negative reviews. Some say the app is an invasion of privacy, others say it’s making it easy for criminals to find potentially unarmed homes and businesses, or homes from which firearms could be stolen.

Compounding the issue is the fact that there is no way for anyone to check the veracity of any entries. In an interview with Fox News, Brett Stalbaum, developer of the app, said he remains unconcerned.

“The gun rights community has been busy making personal threats (we remain unconcerned), as well as spamming the Gun Geo Marker database with false markers,” he told FoxNews.com. “Though these fake markers are not useful for identifying dangerous guns and owners, they are certainly representative of the highly paranoid reaction we have come to expect from any attempt to improve gun safety in the United States. This kind of reaction—automatically lining up on the wrong side of reasonable measures to improve the safe use and ownership of guns—aids and abets the crisis of child shooting deaths,” he said.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has released a new “where to shoot” app that helps sportsman locate the nearest shooting range. Available for free for android or Apple smartphones, the app also includes video tips, news, and firearms safety information. Android phone users can download the app at www.wheretoshoot.org/android and iPhone and iPad users can go to www.wheretoshoot.org/iOS.

from rock rat wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

Bloomberg's house had to be the first place marked.

from Ol Krusty wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

As a gun owner,I'm sick of being labeled in the same categories as convicted criminals or viewed as a possible loose cannon. Is there some kind of profiling charge that we as gun owners could file against this anti gun agenda? I'm sick of their BS, and its time to start fighting back legally.

from HogBlog wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

This is a pretty irresponsible product, especially if there's no audit trail to identify who is placing markers. But then, what's new in the world of "what I can do is more important than what I should do"? Crap like this just keeps popping up, and it's not likely to go away.

I'd say gun owners should download the hell out of it and put up as many fake markers as you can. It's the only way to fight something like this. Make it more irrelevant than it already is.

Of course that's easy for me to say. Out here you don't need GeoMarker to tell you where the guns are. If there's a house, it's safe to assume that there's a gun. Period.

Of course, the minute this app gets used to target homes for burglaries, I'd argue that there's a case there (not to mention the irony of the app being used to arm criminals). But the legal system is pretty short on logic and common sense, so it's a long shot.

from labrador12 wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

One of the many reasons I spend so much time in SE Ak is the fact that everyone owns guns and hunts in that neck of the woods. Some one should just start marking huge swaths of rural America as places where people own guns. Maybe someday the ignorant that like to vacation in "God's Country" will recognize that the people that live there are gun owners. Gun owners who are much safer to be around than the people who share their urban hometowns with them. I wonder if cities like Chicago are marked as "safe".

from labrador12 wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from chuckles wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

It might be useful as an "anti-gun idiot repellent" if they are using it to avoid areas where there are guns.

from Jpvoodoo wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

We should create a database of all anti gun people's homes, where they work and where their children got to school. This way we would know who who needs the help of gun owners.

from OMuilleoir wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

Absolutely ridiculous.

How is the ACLU not throwing a fit over a firearm privacy issue? They seem to throw a fit for every other bs issue in the country.

from Mike1984 wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

This all would improve if you kicked out the current leadership of the NRA. Making guns safe for criminals and sales to criminals quick and easy isn't the way to go here.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from Mike1984 wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

And as for home protection, a big dog is far safer, and quicker to react then having to unlock a gun.
They may need to create a "big dog" database as well.

The NRA's blocking of smart guns also, not a smart position.
If I can own a smart phone, I should be able to buy a smart gun in the USA.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Gary Devine wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

Maybe New York gun owners should use a rented mail box at a United Parcel Service Store or a post office box address instead of their personal home address for their gun location?
Then they could place your rented box location on their "Gestapo" type map.

from ffsnuffy wrote 39 weeks 4 days ago

this is wrong. Why is it that the law abiding gun owners have to give up their privacy? It should be the other way around. Why not an app that not only show registered sex offenders, but one that can show where convicted felons live. I would feel safer knowing where these criminals live. I feel all law abiding legal gun owners have the right to privacy, and protection from people knowing that they own fire arms. In fact, recently in Northampton County, PA a Deputy Sheriff lost his job because he gave out someones concealed carry information. I hope that someone can take action against apps like these that invade the privacy of the lawful.

from TopperFanLuke wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

This is great, I'll sign myself up and list every gun in the house, no need for someone else to speculate on what I have. I'm by no means ashamed of what I own. I gurantee one thing, the houses labeled on this app won't be broken into by any criminals who have access to an android, and once the crime rate/burglaries sky rocket in the areas where homes are labeled as "gun free zones" the app will disappear in about a week.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

It's obviously a scam. Make up your own database and share it with the world. So what? I'm sure there will be gun owners downloading the app and inputting addresses of PETA members, etc. Kinda like a bunch of kids calling each other names on the playground. This whole idea is so stupid it's ridiculous. Why bother getting upset about it?

from Steward wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

It's a stupid idea and will do nothing to help, "gun safety". On the flip, thanks for posting the, "where to shoot" info.

from Island_Time wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

Only issue I have with this is now these homes are targeted by criminals breaking and entering for guns. I could care less that the community knows I have guns. I open carry in my neighborhood. The best point made was this will do nothing for "gun safety" and hurts legal gun owners > criminal gun owners. Sounds a lot like our federal gov.

from wisc14 wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

why need an app for this?
safe zones: almost any small town, public hunting land, etc.

dangerous zones: slums of chicago, compton, etc.

from LostLure wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

Molon Labe! Guarantee they wont make it more than two steps inside my house

from coachsjike wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

what a bunch of bull$hit not to mention an infringement on my privacy rights! who developed this app should be publicly hung

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

Again, why get upset about something that is so hopelessly flawed and stupid that it will always be useless? It was intended to piss off gun owners and that is all. So why give the antis the satisfaction of upsetting us? I'll get upset if there's something to get upset about. Not going to let them jerk my chain over nonsense.

from agsfield wrote 39 weeks 18 hours ago

I checked it out on google play and it seems the app isn't real.

Anyway, if it ever is published, the simplest thing would be for gun owners to enter every address in their neighborhood making the data worthless.

from Red Angus wrote 38 weeks 1 hour ago

If anything is a violation of privacy and the second amendment, this is it. One might ask, Who is going to use this app? Parents? Teachers? Kids wanting a free-fire zine to play in? Not hardly. It would be used by burglars and thieves. By people who want to know where they can go to steal where they know they aren't in danger of someone fighting back.

from Ol Krusty wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from rock rat wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

Bloomberg's house had to be the first place marked.

from HogBlog wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from ffsnuffy wrote 39 weeks 4 days ago

from chuckles wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

from labrador12 wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from labrador12 wrote 39 weeks 6 days ago

from Jpvoodoo wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

from OMuilleoir wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

Absolutely ridiculous.

from Gary Devine wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

Then they could place your rented box location on their "Gestapo" type map.

from TopperFanLuke wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

from Steward wrote 39 weeks 3 days ago

from Island_Time wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

from wisc14 wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

why need an app for this?
safe zones: almost any small town, public hunting land, etc.

dangerous zones: slums of chicago, compton, etc.

from LostLure wrote 39 weeks 2 days ago

Molon Labe! Guarantee they wont make it more than two steps inside my house

from coachsjike wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 39 weeks 1 day ago

from agsfield wrote 39 weeks 18 hours ago

I checked it out on google play and it seems the app isn't real.

from Red Angus wrote 38 weeks 1 hour ago

from Mike1984 wrote 39 weeks 5 days ago

They may need to create a "big dog" database as well.

The NRA's blocking of smart guns also, not a smart position.
If I can own a smart phone, I should be able to buy a smart gun in the USA.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report