Survivorman Les Stroud: A Comic Book Hero?

Field Notes

July 11, 2013

Survivorman Les Stroud: A Comic Book Hero?

By Ben Romans

For several years, outdoor survival expert Les Stroud has been a one-man camera crew who filmed his multi-day jaunts into remote areas of the world. I’ve tuned in from time to time. The episodes are occasionally entertaining, and I often learn a thing or two.

But would I go so far as to say Stroud’s skills make him a real-life superhero? Certainly not. However, the folks at Bluewater Productions disagree. So much so they’re willing to pit Stroud’s MacGyver-esque skills against wrongdoers in a new comic book series.

In a press release, Bluewater said the first edition will follow Stroud in pursuit of an artifact and in the chase, he gets lost at sea, roughs it through the English countryside, and "shows an endless supply of rugged determination in his quest."

“So much of being Survivorman has turned out to be surreal and so very exciting for my life. The most exhilarating and fun result yet is being turned into a comic book super hero!!! I absolutely love it!” said Les Stroud.

Truth be told, celebrity personalities have loaned their names and identities to comic book and graphic novel writers for years, and Bluewater has a long list of other notable names lending their characters to ink. Vincent Price is probably one of the most recognized. I’m just not sure making fire by rubbing two sticks together or collecting edible plants is going to be enough to make Stroud into a modern day Indiana Jones. What do you think?

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 40 weeks 2 days ago

Bear Grylls is former British Special Forces, shouldn't that make HIM top choice for "Superhero survival". Of course eating bugs in a magazine probably wouldn't fly quite as well as Superman.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from MattM37 wrote 40 weeks 1 day ago

If he's in a comic book, I guess he wouldn't be a "real-life superhero."

from Matthew Matzek wrote 40 weeks 6 hours ago

Les is the man. "Bear" Grylls's show is merely a staging of events to show what survival is supposed to look like. Les is actually survivng. And lugging around gear to film himself. I have been a fan for years and will probably buy some comic books with him as the hero

from MattM37 wrote 39 weeks 4 days ago

"Les or Bear?" has replaced "Ginger or Mary Ann?" as the standard conversational argument. I vote Les. (And Mary Ann.)

from melcher06 wrote 37 weeks 3 days ago

Not a comic book fan but Les is the man. Unlike that British hack. People are attracted to the wreckless stunts of Grylls. But a true survivor wouldn't put themselves in such dangerous situations, unless they had camera crew to bail them out!

from Matthew Matzek wrote 40 weeks 6 hours ago

from MattM37 wrote 40 weeks 1 day ago

If he's in a comic book, I guess he wouldn't be a "real-life superhero."

from MattM37 wrote 39 weeks 4 days ago