Montana Man 'Panhandling' to Buy Other Hunters Wolf Tags

Field Notes

August 12, 2013

Montana Man 'Panhandling' to Buy Other Hunters Wolf Tags

By Ben Romans

A Montana man with a cardboard sign in hand is turning heads at the end of an interstate ramp. Using a panhandler’s approach, the man hopes to raise money to incentivize hunters to take to the woods in search of wolves this fall.

According to Missoula’s NBC station, KECI, Jason Maxwell and his girlfriend say they’ll sporadically collect donations until the wolf hunting season begins in September, at which point they’ll enter everyone that’s “liked” their Facebook page into a drawing and reward the winners by reimbursing them for buying a Montana wolf hunting tag.

“We figure we would give hunters an incentive to get back out there and chase an animal that’s not going to fill your freezer,” said Jason Maxwell, who created a cardboard sign that reads “I have a job, but I am taking donations to buy hunters wolf tags.”

Maxwell says he knows opinions about wolves and wolf hunting are mixed, but that doesn’t seem to deter him. So far, he’s collected about $200 for his cause.

Photo from Facebook.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 35 weeks 12 hours ago

What a scam! Running a lottery without a license is an offense. They'll shut him down. I'm sorry but I really only see an "incentive" for this guy to use a hot environmental issue to make himself some money. Calling it "donations" isn't going to wash. Or it shouldn't. I have more respect for homeless bums who are upfront with their panhandling.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Wolf Tracker wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

@ Honker: OK, the guy and his lady spend many hours raising $200 to spend on tags, and you claim they're running a "Scam"?
There are a lot of really dumb people in this world....
...and I have some very bad news for you.

Wolftracker.ca applauds your efforts, Maxwell and the Missus!

from Jason Maxwell wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

Ontario Honker if I am running a scam why would I have put $150.00 of my own money towards buying hunters tags? We will be setting up a website so you can see what we bring in and where the money goes. I assure you Ontario Honker, you will never see a dime of this money spent on us. Not everyone thinks as crooked as you. Wolf Tracker, thank you for the support we really appreciate it.

from ORbowhunter wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

Jason- Keep up the good work! Wolves are a major problem for all species of game animal and will only become a bigger problem unless there is "competent" game management by the states various fish & game departments. States should not be afraid of the vocal minority when dealing with the issue of wolves, but rather manage them like they do any other species of wild game.
Honker- PETA, the Sierra Club, our current presidential administration, tree huggers, wolf worshipers, and Nancy Pelosi thank you for your above posted comment.

from Nyflyangler wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

I agree with Ontario Honker.

This is a great way to see the Montana wolf tags go into the hands of PETA activists who will make sure they're never used.

from Nyflyangler wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

I agree with Ontario Honker.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jason Maxwell wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

Nyflyangler for that very reason Montana does not put a cap on the number of tags sold. For example last year they sold 18,889 wolf tags. We do not run things like Michigan where there is a 1200 tag limit, first come first serve. We have been at this for awhile and have figured out that if there is a cap on tags Animal Rights Activist tend to get 50 percent of them.

from Wolf Tracker wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

There are a lot of really dumb people in this world....
...and I have some very bad news for you.

Wolftracker.ca applauds your efforts, Maxwell and the Missus!

from Jason Maxwell wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

from ORbowhunter wrote 34 weeks 6 days ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

I agree with Ontario Honker.

from Jason Maxwell wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

I agree with Ontario Honker.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report