Forest Service: Bowhunter Started California's Rim Fire

Field Notes

September 06, 2013

Forest Service: Bowhunter Started California's Rim Fire

By Ben Romans

Yesterday, the U.S. Forest Service announced they’re searching for a bowhunter responsible for starting an illegal campfire that eventually engulfed 371 square miles of forest in and around Yosemite National Park in one of California’s largest wildfires ever, the Rim Fire.

This report from ABC news said the agency is withholding the bowhunter’s name and any details on how the fire escaped the hunter’s control while they complete their investigation.

California deer and bear archery seasons were open when the fire started on August 17th, but a ban on campfires outside developed camping areas was in place the week prior because of the increasing danger.

The article also states that so far, the Rim Fire has burned 111 structures, including 11 homes, and is now 80% contained. Coincidentally, California’s largest fire—one that burned 430 square miles, 2,200 homes and caused 15 deaths—flared in 2003 and was also started by a deer hunter who became lost and lit a signal fire to attract rescuers.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

Anyone who would build a fire in that country at that time of year is an idiot. I wouldn't even build one in a designated camping area. Gawd, it gets dry down there. And the winds can be horrendous. I hope they nail this idiot to the wall!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

from pcspecht wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

The thing is it could have been anyone for any number of reasons. I know it dosen't change the facts or the tragedy of it, and if it was due to irresponsibility or on purpose then by all means find him and charge him.
On the other hand, I was Just wondering when the "anti-everything fringe California government ultra left don't breath the air we think it will cause cancer no guns no hunting we know better whats best for you take the blue pill chill out and let us handle everything" control freaks, will latch on to this and try and outlaw bows, bow hunting, fire, means to make fire, hunting in general, intuited state run training courses on woodcraft and safety in the woods (2 day course $3500 not including tax up front non- refundable would be my guess) or any number of equally repressive and depressive laws or dictums.
Its just a matter of time I'm thinking. ....... Just saying.

from Safado wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

I live in California and as much as I would like to disagree with pcspecht; I was saddened when I heard this was caused by a hunter. Because he should have known better! One guy caused a tremendous amount of damage to nature, structures and animal life. God only knows how many creatures perished as a result of his careless actions. Thank God noone died and it did not get to the Sequoias or redwoods. It is sobering that possibly the two greatest forest fires in California were caused by huinters.

from Bioguy01 wrote 32 weeks 1 hour ago

Not to downplay the idiocy of the guy who lit the fire, but who is really at fault here? Is it the guy who sparked the fire, or the government agency that has suppressed fire for so long in a system that evolved with frequent fire, thereby allowing the fuel load to build up to unsafe levels. Any other person could have sparked that fire and it would have done the same...a hot exhaust pipe, somebody throwing a cigarette out a window, lightning, etc. So who is really at fault? The guy that lit the fire, or the people who have suppressed fire in a system that evolved with fire? I vote for the latter.

from pcspecht wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

Its just a matter of time I'm thinking. ....... Just saying.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago