New Jersey Allowing Air Guns For Small Game Hunting

Field Notes

September 24, 2013

New Jersey Allowing Air Guns For Small Game Hunting

By Ben Romans

Beginning on September 28, hunters in New Jersey ages 10 and older will be allowed to use air guns to target rabbits and squirrels.

In this article posted on LehighValleyLive.com, The New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife (DFW) noted modern air guns are quieter and lighter than shotguns, but can be equally effective when it comes to dispatching rabbits, hares and gray squirrels when the state's small-game hunting season opens this coming Saturday.

"Squirrels are probably our most abundant yet underutilized small game species," said DFW spokesman Larry Hajna. "Squirrel hunting with shotguns doesn't draw the interest of rifle or air gun hunting, which adds a level of marksmanship to the sport. We expect that this season will not only be popular with youth hunters but adults as well."

The DFW defines an air rifle as a firearm, meaning someone needs a firearm's purchaser's ID to buy one. Legal guns must have a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second and calibers between .177 and .22.

from stick500 wrote 29 weeks 4 days ago

When I was a teen in the '70s I plinked lots of squirrels and rabbits with my Sheridan pellet gun in Iowa. Never considered that it might be an illegal gun to use for hunting small game, but I bet it wasn't at the time or perhaps even today in that state.

from RJ Arena wrote 29 weeks 3 days ago

Me too, I did not know it was against the law and I grew up in N.J., but then pretty much everything is illegal the the former garden state. Better not let your kid be seen shooting those squirrels, he/she may get suspended from school!

from FISHEROFLIFE wrote 28 weeks 3 days ago

I didn't know you couldn't carry one I carry one to my creek to keep racoons from coming up to my meat bait for fishing.

from stick500 wrote 29 weeks 4 days ago