Two New Executive Gun Control Actions

Field Notes

September 05, 2013

Two New Executive Gun Control Actions

By Ben Romans

Last Thursday the Obama administration announced two additional executive actions intended to curb gun violence, in addition to the 23 recommended by Vice President earlier this year.

According to a White House press release, one action would require individuals associated with trusts or corporations acquiring what the government deems “the most dangerous weapons” like short-barreled shotguns and machine guns, to undergo background checks. At present, individuals receiving weapons registered to a trust or corporation do not have to undergo background checks.

The second proposal recommends denying requests from private entities to bring "military-grade" firearms back into the United States. Presently, private parties can import military-grade firearms sold to U.S. allies back into the U.S. without approval. According to the release, since 2005, nearly 250,000 military-grade weapons have been reimported into the U.S. by private parties.

from MICHMAN wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Scary terms: "Executive Actions" and "Military-Grade Firearms."

Executive Actions tells me that the President wants to ignore the balances of power and Act on His Own terms and implement His own beliefs and prejudices! This to me is a scary proposition! I would hope that we would continue electing Presidents rather that Dictators!

The term Military-Grade firearms is a term designated to provoke fear. It is also a non-definitive term which can be applied to a wide assortment of firearms. Another "military-grade assault" on my freedoms if you ask me!

from Mark-1 wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

JMO, but these latest executive orders are *much-to-do-about-nothing*. They really don't change past policy to any degree. e.g. Mauser and Enfields aren't covered by re-importing regs, but Springfields are under GCA. ...Last is a real DUH.

from coachsjike wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

baffles me that when this president does not get what he wants through public opinion, senate, or congress, he acts on his own because in his mind he is right and everyone else is wrong.

from rock rat wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

M1s from Korea

from Colorado Guy wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

I truly believe the the order on "military grade weapons" is specifically targeted at eliminating the Civilian Marksmanship Program which uses large numbers of weapons like the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine in their training programs. The last thing Obama wants is the continued training of civilians with arms. He does not want a free proud society he wants sheep that can be controlled and exploited. The sad part is that many people today have no problem being just that as long as they are allowed their creature comforts and an illusion of security.

from raider04 wrote 31 weeks 4 days ago

I say we all panic and buy every AR and box of ammo on the market. Honestly, we are our own worst enemies. Calm down, this guy is powerless.

from siberd wrote 31 weeks 4 days ago

if you guy`s really believe what you`r saying i feel sorry for you i`m over 70 & heard that malarky all my life i have both rifles & pistols and i don`t worry about it my record is clean, if your`s is to you more than likely will have no problem our polititions and law system needs to take care of the criminals and then they wouldn`t need laws against guns

-2 Good Comment? | | Report

from MICHMAN wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago

Scary terms: "Executive Actions" and "Military-Grade Firearms."

from coachsjike wrote 31 weeks 5 days ago