PETA Selling 'Hunter Watching' Surveillance Drones

Field Notes

October 28, 2013

PETA Selling 'Hunter Watching' Surveillance Drones

By Ben Romans

Last Monday PETA announced it will begin selling surveillance drones called “air angels” through its website for $325 to anyone that wants to monitor the activities of hunters.

According to Mashable.com, the animal-rights advocates made the announcement to coincide with the opening of Massachusetts’s whitetail archery season and posted the following note on its website:

Using your hobby drone, you can collect instant to-your-phone video footage of hunters engaging in illegal activity, such as drinking while in possession of a firearm, injuring animals and failing to pursue them, and illegally using spotlights, feed lures, and other nasty but common hunting tricks. Your amateur footage can be used to alert game wardens and other authorities to who is doing what to animals.

However, the article said Dennis Boomer Hayden, president of the Massachusetts Bowhunters Association, was quick to remind potential buyers the state has laws against the harassment of hunters engaged in the lawful taking of fish or wildlife.

“Hunters already have a police force that watch us, they're called game wardens,” Hayden told Mashable. “Obviously, they more than protect the wildlife in Massachusetts. They would arrest a hunter if they were doing something wrong.”

from asrenstrom wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

The biggest thing that stands out to me is how crappy the equipment must be that PETA is trying to dump on it's members, unless they are really taking the main blow of the cost on their own (unlikely). I don't know how much time any of you have really spent investigating the electronics mentioned in the story, but a decent R/C plane will go for a few hundred dollars while a nice camera wil also pull a couple of bills from the wallet as well.

Now combine a micro-sized version of a high-end camera (with decent zoom and picture quality, good enough to consuct surveillance from a very high vantage point up to a couple hundred feet) built into a plane with good enough range to survey hunters from long distances... $325 isn't gonna cut it here, sorry PETA hopefuls.

Anything getting close enough to hunters and property with this low end equipment to do any actual surveillance is almost certainly going to fall into the "harassment of hunters" category, and possibly trespassing (not sure on air space trespassing I guess, so call me out on that if you will). The castle doctrine might send a few rounds from the ol' 12GA into the air if I were to come across any of these "air angels." Well worth the black powder...

from Kris24 wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

PETA = Poorly Educated and Too Anal

from MR AWESOME wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

One word buckshot=problem solved

from Mike Diehl wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Ya know, what could be a better waste of a Petard's time and money than to buy something like that? Fools and their money.

from stephenmurray wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Ridiculous. As a Mass resident, better not see any of those fly over my land.

from FOX wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

I can foresee a lot of hunting accidents regarding low flying drones in the near future.

from mcsexy3 wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Better not see any of those while I'm in the woods. That's the quickest, and biggest waste of $325 dollars I've ever even heard of! Stupidity. And I like how they assume all hunters are always doing something wrong to get caught.

from MaxPower wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Wow, just $325 for a drone. If I could buy one without supporting these tools I would, if only just to terrorize neighbor kids and the local cat population.

from Suzanne Carlson wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

This is such a clever idea! Hunters are constantly claiming how much they "love" nature and how diligent they are, so you'd think they'd welcome the scrutiny. If you're not doing something to be ashamed of, why worry?

-10 Good Comment? | | Report
from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Hey Suzanne,

I have just decided that since I worry about you doing illegal things in your own home (evidence? Who needs that?), I am going to set up a series of cameras around your house and yard. I will monitor every action you undertake from now on, and report anything I find suspicious (or personally distasteful) to any authority I want without any oversight or legal authority. In fact, I think I’ll set up a website where I can show all of my friends what you are doing at any time. I’ll even put cameras in your car so I can keep constant surveillance on you. I will follow your car everywhere, so that I can report anything I decide I don’t like. I don’t need government oversight or authority to do this, it what I want to do. I might even sell some camera’s to my friends so that they can see what you are doing to, as well as check out your neighbors. I don’t care if I interfere with your daily life or activities, or if my drones and spy cameras happen to break any laws. I don’t need your say so either, for I have decided that this is necessary, and that’s all the justification I need.

If you're not doing something to be ashamed of, why worry?

from LucyP wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

The difference is that these drones would be monitoring hunters on public land. It's not a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, like a home.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from kansasjeff wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

I think these surveillance drones are a wonderful idea. I would love to buy as many of them as I can. The only thing is I would like to use them to monitor the registered vehicles of PETA and their staffers to ensure that they are no longer improperly disposing of the carcasses of the animals that PETA culls in their shelters and in some instances in the vehicles themselves. I know it must be difficult for them to keep track of it all. Seeing as how they kill on average over 90% of the animals they “rescue” each year.

from rock rat wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Susan and Lucy why even bother registering and commenting on a hunting web site? You are never going to find one dirt clod of common ground, are you here just to disrupt? Why not head over to Care2 where you can find kindred spirits eh?

from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Lucy P

I saw nothing in either the Mashable article or on PETA’s website that specified that these drones would only be used on Public Land. Unless PETA simply intends to amuse itself, it’s going have a hard time watching any hunters sticking only to public land, as most land is privately owned, and about 90% of hunting takes place on private land. Furthermore, use of these drones could easily be interpreted as hunter harassment, which is demonstrably illegal in pretty much every state, UNLIKE many of the activities PETA claims to be attempting to stop with these drones (for instance, use of dogs is 100% legal for fall turkey hunting in many states, as is).

I also take it you didn’t read my entire comment; else wise you would have noticed my example of putting your car under surveillance. Under your logic, I should be able to watch you in your car or while you are anywhere in non-private property. Just because police don’t need a warrant to search you on public property does not mean that private citizens can stalk and harass one another. In most jurisdictions, you actually have SOME reasonable expectations of privacy in public, just not quite the same level as in your own home or place of business.

from FashionFan wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

I think it's clear how the people who are attacking People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals truly feel about the "nature" that they supposedly "appreciate." They see animals as games, trophies, and flesh, not as sentient beings with their own lives, families, communities, desires, and will to live. I agree with PETA: if hunters are engaging in illegal activity, they should be held accountable. What's so wrong with that?

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from Gunner Bragg wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Without thermal imaging they are going to have a hard time finding me. Ghillie suit, Go!!! Also,

from Gary Devine wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Most states have hunter harassment and stalking laws on their legal law books.

Make sure you drone operating PETA Lovers save an extra thousand dollars for the Honorable Judge.
He will make you pay for fines, penalties, safe neighborhood compensation, violent crimes compensation and court cost.

Beware Peta! Most hunters will Prosecute!

from Gary Devine wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

By the way PETA, being convicted of “stalking” charge carry’s a third degree felony on your criminal record.

from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

FashionFan

Yes, PETA is clearly much more in tune with nature and cares deeply about conservation, that must be why there are sending mechanical drones to harass and spy on the one group of people actually doing most of the work and footing the bill for conservation, rather than regurgitating empty platitudes about romanticized views on nature and wallowing in emotionally driven arguments without rationale or logical consistency.

The problem is that these drones are not about stopping poaching or conserving animal’s species, they are about harassing hunters. There lies the quantifiable problem, hunter harassment is ILLEGAL. If anyone needs to be held accountable, it’s PETA for routinely encouraging illegal activity and actually killing more animals than all of us hunters put together. What is the survival rate in their shelters, ten percent?

On the topic of how animals view other animals. Ask yourself, how do you think a coyote or a wolf “sees” a deer? How does a hawk “view” a rabbit? How does a bear “envision” a fish? The answer, is what they are naturally inclined to see these animals as, prey. They see their prey animals as a food source on which they depend. We humans work the same way, and before you give me any BS how we don’t “need” to kill animals, let me tell you that your very existence is dependent on the death of animals. Did you write your comment using a piece of electronic media? Materials for that device had to be mined, habitat was destroyed, and animals were killed. Eat food recently? It likely came from a farm. Habitat was lost, animals uprooted, and hunters (gasp) were called in to kill animals threatening the crop. Live in a house? Same thing. You kill nearly as many animals as I do every day simply by living.

from shazam wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

These sound great. I plan to use mine for scouting for moose.
;-)

from makersman wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

sounds like a lot of these idiots will be out $325 when these things get shot down

from DroneShield wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Anybody willing to test out our small device that listens for drones and will alert you if one comes near? Please email info@droneshield.org

from Flintlock wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Apparently the folks over at PETA haven't seen the "it flies, it dies" bumper stickers....

from Johnny9Eyes wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

No one should ever stand by while their rights are violated, or be silent when people try to limit our rights, however civility must be maintained.

The chances of PETA catching someone in violation of a game law is what, 0.0001%? So what is the real mission? What do they really need to continue the PR assault on hunting? One encounter on film where PETA is 100% legal in there actions and someone shoots down the drone, or assaults someone. That video would be edited and online making the hunters look like a bunch of inbreds in 1 hour. So keep it cool out there, and remember the famous words on Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge "Don't give the pr*ck the satisfaction."

from Shannon Harris wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

If one was following me on my property.....would end up being ethically harvested and recovered.

from Martin Morrison wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

shoot down the drones,what a target

from suzyb wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Simply put: No hunting =over population of animals
Over population = diminished food sources for all (humans alike)

Hunters and the Wildlife commissions keep the balance.

Balance is the key word.

from liteningjack wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Hey nehunter,
Go for it with the Suzanne and Lucy show, We may have a reality show pilot right there...I hear Mexico is particularly interested in new sitcoms...

from johnmn wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

I thought this was a joke, but it appears to be very real.

To asrenstrom- This appears to be a Parrot AR Drone that PETA is re-selling with a set of winged-bunny stickers.

To shazam- I totally agree! It could also be a useful tool for searching for downed whitetails... I've heard their much easier to spot from the air, and you can cover an awful lot of ground.

To PETA- I have nothing to be ashamed of, and so I'm not concered about what you may see. But I am a little concerned about the annoyance of a drone in the field. (Do they sound like giant mosquitos to anyone else?) As many folks have pointed out, hunting is a legal activity and hunter harrassment is not.

And finally to Johnny9eyes- Well said! I totally agree!!

from coachsjike wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

for all you peta lovers out there:
for us hunters, we spend enough time in the outdoors that we consider it our second home. its a place where we raise our sons and daughters to be ethical hunters and conservationists of the land. its what our forefathers did and its what we will continue to do. if one of those things EVER HAPPENED TO FLY BY, I WOULD DRILL THAT THING WITH EVERY OUNCE OF AMMO I WOULD HAVE ON ME. so go bother someone else cause no of us here give a $hit!

from Steve Macdonald wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

I do find this quite interesting. It seems like a lot of hunters would like to put off that there isn't a fair bit of illegal hunting, and issues with people over-harvesting and other illegal activities. I do however know people from both parties, fully respectful hunters that would allow a doe to live to look after her fawns, and others that would take a doe and her fawns without a second thought. Now don't get me wrong, these drones are a complete matter of abuse of privacy. However, when deemed necessary by government privacy is not an issue, normally in the case when the law is being broken, or has a high chance of being broken.. A good example is that when you are in any major city. You can be monitored at any time by using the street cameras, store surveillance that is automatically uploaded, and Wifi video cameras. They could track you from your house to your job, what you buy at the store, if you picked you nose. If the government could have people watching you at any time, why are these any different?

from Zac Kiffmeyer wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

yea at :51 that fuckers getting shot down

from Zac Kiffmeyer wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

yea at :51 that fuckers getting shot down

from johnmn wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Steve Mac- This is different because while the government is charged with enforcing laws, PETA isn't. And I'm perfectly okay knowing that a conservation officer may be watching me in the field, because I have nothing to hide, and I trust that he or she will not impede me in lawfully taking an animal. I don't have the same trust in the PETA folks.

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Do they sell to hunters to scout large properties to see where the deer are at, would like one in thermal.

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

What do they even do if on sees a hunter, dive bomb us or do they send out a platoon and picket the property. Don't they have anything better to do, they kill 6-8 million cats and dogs each year. Do they feed there families with them or are the just running little hitler concentration.

from Sureshot516 wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

Wonder how PETA would feel if this became the new scouting tool :)

from Maxx.Wright wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

If I see one of these I am going to bag it along with the rest of my catch. Fish hooks, scatter shot, rock... whatever that sucker is coming down...

Is nothing sacred anymore?

from Woods Walker wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

These would be great for scouting state/federal wildlife areas and forests for the nefarious marijuanna grows that are destroying animal habitats by illegal drug operations. The PETA folks could actually do something worthwhile for a change...

from Sean Kobler wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

I'm 21, have been in the woods since I was old enough to walk , grew up on a farm and have owned dogs my entire life. I hunt alot of animals any wheres from rabbits with my beagles to whitetails yet if all hunters wanted to do was kill why did I spend most of my childhood wanting to be a VET who saves animals? These drones are an annoyance, they seem very loud and is illegally harassing hunters. Honestly yes sometimes animals are wounded but the majority of hunters will do everything they can to either prevent this from happening or pursue the injured animal out of compassion for the animal. Just because a small portion of hunters take part in illegal actions does not mean that we all do or that we don't care for the animals we hunt. Some people speed while driving and case accidents but does that mean everyone does? Some of you PETA supports said that if your committing illegal actions that you should be held accountable so does that mean we should put GPSes in your cars so that everyone knows how fast you go and cameras so that we can call the cops when you do something we don't like? Enforcing wildlife management laws should be left to the Game Wardens and it is the responsibility of legal hunters to aid them. I for one love hunting, it is point blank the best way to connect to the wildlife, any harvest is an accomplishment and when it comes to me, it pains me to see any animal in pain and so I never take questionable shots and I always take my game down as fast and effectively as possible.

from Sean Kobler wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

just wanted to educate some of you with a little history, facts and science...

first off...science...humans are natural born hunters, cave men did not survive by being vegetarians, our teeth are built with canines in the front for griping meet and our molars are not flat, they have points for chewing not grinding. If we were meant to let all animals live and eat only vegetables we would not have canines and our molars would be flat so that we could grind our food, much like a cow, goat, deer, moose.

secondly...historical facts!..."Roosevelt used his authority to protect wildlife and public lands by creating the U.S. Forest Service and establishing 51 Federal Bird Reservations, 4 National Game Preserves, 150 National Forests, 5 National Parks, and enabling the 1906 American Antiquities Act which he used to proclaim 18 National Monuments. During his presidency,Theodore Roosevelt protected approximately 230,000,000 acres of public land." ...Teddy Roosevelt was a Notorious hunter yet its because of him that we have so many preserves/state land? hmmmm...don't those protect animals?

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

There is a clip of a PETA drone being shot down on the web. Here is the link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=video%20of%20peta%20drone%20bein...

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

Last post was pic link won't let me post you tube link.
Pull up YouTube and type in "hunter shoots down multirotor"

from ozarkghost wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

The SHARK video has been out for some time. If you look at it closely, it seems that the operator lost control of it at the last moment before landing and it crashed because of operator error. More over the damage to the drone shown does not indicate gun fire as the cause of the damage, i.e. holes or evidence of ricochet. If it was brought down by a shotgun blast it would be self evident in the damage done and probably would not have made it back to the launch site. JMO

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

I generally carry a couple of 12 gauge 00 in case we happen onto a coyote.
The chance to "make a drone my own" would be hard to pass up.
I hunt on private property, only with permission, I am certain the owners wouldn't grant drone permission, nor have I ever given my consent to be filmed.
Besides... a small one would look great next to the shoulder mount on the wall (batteries not included).

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

I generally carry a couple of 12 gauge 00 in case we happen onto a coyote.
The chance to "make a drone my own" would be hard to pass up.

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

Why this site "double posts" I have no idea, my apologies.

from wittsec wrote 23 weeks 5 days ago

You know PETA may be on to something here. Could this device also be used to track game and raise the limit of animals harvested? Thanks PETA for making the hunting season more successful.

from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Hey Suzanne,

If you're not doing something to be ashamed of, why worry?

from kansasjeff wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

FashionFan

from asrenstrom wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from rock rat wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Kris24 wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

PETA = Poorly Educated and Too Anal

from FOX wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from MaxPower wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from makersman wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Johnny9Eyes wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Shannon Harris wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from johnmn wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

I thought this was a joke, but it appears to be very real.

And finally to Johnny9eyes- Well said! I totally agree!!

from coachsjike wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

for all you peta lovers out there:

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Sean Kobler wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

from MR AWESOME wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

One word buckshot=problem solved

from Mike Diehl wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from stephenmurray wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

Ridiculous. As a Mass resident, better not see any of those fly over my land.

from mcsexy3 wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

from nehunter92 wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Lucy P

from Gunner Bragg wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Gary Devine wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Most states have hunter harassment and stalking laws on their legal law books.

Beware Peta! Most hunters will Prosecute!

from Gary Devine wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from shazam wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

These sound great. I plan to use mine for scouting for moose.
;-)

from DroneShield wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Flintlock wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Martin Morrison wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

shoot down the drones,what a target

from suzyb wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Simply put: No hunting =over population of animals
Over population = diminished food sources for all (humans alike)

Hunters and the Wildlife commissions keep the balance.

Balance is the key word.

from liteningjack wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

Hey nehunter,

from Steve Macdonald wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Zac Kiffmeyer wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

yea at :51 that fuckers getting shot down

from Zac Kiffmeyer wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

yea at :51 that fuckers getting shot down

from johnmn wrote 24 weeks 4 days ago

from Sureshot516 wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

Wonder how PETA would feel if this became the new scouting tool :)

from Maxx.Wright wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

Is nothing sacred anymore?

from Woods Walker wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

from Sean Kobler wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

just wanted to educate some of you with a little history, facts and science...

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

Last post was pic link won't let me post you tube link.
Pull up YouTube and type in "hunter shoots down multirotor"

from ozarkghost wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

I generally carry a couple of 12 gauge 00 in case we happen onto a coyote.
The chance to "make a drone my own" would be hard to pass up.

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

I generally carry a couple of 12 gauge 00 in case we happen onto a coyote.
The chance to "make a drone my own" would be hard to pass up.

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 6 hours ago

Why this site "double posts" I have no idea, my apologies.

from wittsec wrote 23 weeks 5 days ago