Is This Your Jeep?

Field Notes

October 16, 2013

Is This Your Jeep?

By Steven Hill

In the market for a hunting buggy, a project vehicle, or (perish the thought) a character-building experience for your teenage daughter? Then the Enid, Okla., Craigslist has got a deal for you: A 1997 Jeep Cherokee that comes with crank mirrors, a pinhole radiator leak and the best used-car ad ever written.

from BigJim wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

It must have been good b/c the post has been "flagged for removal". Can you give us a run down of the details?

BTW, a tablespoon of black pepper will fix that radiator leak.

from RockySquirrel wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

From a very happy Jeep owner. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!! Best vehicle I ever owned. Just won’t quit. I should hit 200K this year with no regrets.

More than a few of those requirements apply to me, except stupid Sh!ft and temping fate stuff. I am too old for that.

from jhjimbo wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

I'am on my second Jeep G.C. It does it all, nothing else like it.

from Redford wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

I just got a 4 door JKU and I gotta say it's impressive. We've always loved jeeps though, wranglers and cherokee's. Easy to work on and a very capable, daily-driver vehicle.

from Threedraw3 wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago

O hey Cletuss!!!!! That thing looks like a uh one of dem hotrods

from Factory wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Jeeps bring back great memories!! Bought my first Jeep Grand Wagoneer in 1985...a used '78, Tan with Woody panels. Promptly did a 2" body/2" suspension lift and hucked 33's on it. Drank gas like a speedboat...felt like 2 gals to the mile...but who cared - gas was cheap, even on a paper route and lawnmowing budget. Men (and boys like me who wanted to be manly) drove bad-azz trucks with big tires and gun racks (mounted in the rear on the side glass for the Wagoneer). Which by-the-way had shotguns in them. AND went to high-school in the Jeep with me. And nobody thought anything about it, because nobody was F'ed in the head enough to think about shooting another person (Space Invaders, maybe...or Asteroids...but not people - we just had fights, and then were friends again.) The bigger concern was that we'd get caught taking a few doves off the telephone lines on the way home from soccer practice with the 'snake-charmer' 410 kept on the bottom rack (it held 4 shells in the buttstock). That truck went thru awful hell with me... One time I drove that Jeep into the Atlantic chasing Fall bluefish runs on the Outer Banks(look for the birds, drive like hell to the spot, start throwing Hopkins). Except a rogue wave caught me offguard...good thing ANOTHER JEEP was nearby and snatched me out before it got really ugly. Rolled it muddin', crashed thru a small forest of christmas trees, and folded the front right wheel drift-driving on snow covered streets. Yeah, the Quadra-trak never worked quite right after that one... I spent waaayyy too much on repairs and trick stuff from JC Whitney and didn't think twice. Then I guess I grew a va-jay-jay and and got an economy car. Had it a couple years, and decided that some other Fairy could have the sensible mileage, for delivering pixie dust or whatever it is that Fairies do....found a burgundy '85 Jeep Grand Cherokee with BIGGER woodgrain panels, low miles, already lifted, 6 KC lights (4 up, 2 down), glass-packs, a home-made 2x10 pvc rod-rack u-bolted to the front bumper, AND it came with a car-top carrier from Sears and a bitchin' Alpine tape player where the face-plate removed!! That shi* was cool, and yeah, the exhaust note when you stomped it made the panties drop - some of you know what I'm talkn'bout. 3 more Jeeps after that, lots more awesome memories.
But whatz up with these new "i wanna be an Acura MDX or Range Rover" quasi-Jeeps?????????? No soul. Good truck underneath, maybe, but no Soul. You better not spill your dip-cup in that thing.
Dammit all...as soon as I get done with this rant, I'm hitting Craigslist...I always wanted one of the old Wagoneers that was WHITE with the enormous panels, and guess what...Tesla stock will pay for it!!! HAH!!! Irony at it's finest!!!!!!!!

from buckskinner96 wrote 22 weeks 12 hours ago

I own a jeep cheerokee as well. Have been able to go through everything i have put it through

from Factory wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from buckskinner96 wrote 22 weeks 12 hours ago

from BigJim wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

BTW, a tablespoon of black pepper will fix that radiator leak.

from RockySquirrel wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

from jhjimbo wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

I'am on my second Jeep G.C. It does it all, nothing else like it.

from Redford wrote 25 weeks 5 days ago