Monster Bear: Pennsylvania Hunter Takes 772-Pound Bruin

Field Notes

December 02, 2013

Monster Bear: Pennsylvania Hunter Takes 772-Pound Bruin

By Ben Romans

After decades of hunting bears with no success, a hunter in northeastern Pennsylvania harvested his first Keystone State bruin. What's even better is that the bear just happened to be the biggest taken in the state so far this season, weighing in at 772 pounds.

Hunter Daniel Beavers told ABC affiliate WNEP he was hunting in Lackawanna County last week, but almost talked himself out of going.

“I wasn’t even going to go hunting. First drive of the morning he just came right out to me and I shot him,” Beavers said.

Beavers said he’s going to have the bear skull measured to see if it beats any records.

from rockylizard wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

Wonder if he ate it?

from Michael G Dropps wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

Congrats! After all those years it paid off well!

from derik wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

I would hope he ate it or at least shared the meat with those in the hunt. Bear meat is quite delicious when prepared correctly.

from djb_6791 wrote 19 weeks 3 days ago

Gross. I hope he didn't eat it! I hope he mounts the skull, makes a giant rug, cooks a beef steak and makes sweet love to his woman on that rug while the home still smells of delicious food.....not scavenger flesh!!!!

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from djb_6791 wrote 19 weeks 3 days ago

from TinEagle wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

That's a heck of a big bear to haul out of the woods. Nicely done!

from USMC0351 wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

Wish they had a better picture, that's a monster.

from Gary Devine wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

Pennsylvania and New Jersey has harvest a few monster bears in the last two years. A New Jersey Fish and Game employee in the black bear division said “there are more monster bears still out there“.

New Jersey bear season starts this Monday.
I'll be bear hunting from sun up to sun down.
Good Luck Everybody!

www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2011/12/two-record-black-bears-taken...

from littlewop51 wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

djb_6791 your and idiot

from Gary Devine wrote 19 weeks 1 day ago

A New York bowhunter harvest a 604 pound black bear last month. Check out the photo in the link below.
The bears in the northeast must be on steroids.

www.sc-democrat.com/sports/2013November/26/sports.htm

from PAShooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

The "monster" black bear are usually located near housing developments that feed these "pets". Hunters set up on the usual routes that these bear travel to their food source. As far as steroids, this may be true due to eating steroid raised foods that are "cast off" by these development residents. However, I've known bears to get quite large by eating doughnuts and pizza, similar to some people I know.

from PAShooter wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from rockylizard wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

Wonder if he ate it?

from Michael G Dropps wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

Congrats! After all those years it paid off well!

from derik wrote 19 weeks 4 days ago

from djb_6791 wrote 19 weeks 3 days ago

from TinEagle wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

That's a heck of a big bear to haul out of the woods. Nicely done!

from USMC0351 wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

Wish they had a better picture, that's a monster.

from Gary Devine wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

New Jersey bear season starts this Monday.
I'll be bear hunting from sun up to sun down.
Good Luck Everybody!

www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2011/12/two-record-black-bears-taken...

from littlewop51 wrote 19 weeks 2 days ago

djb_6791 your and idiot

from Gary Devine wrote 19 weeks 1 day ago

The bears in the northeast must be on steroids.

www.sc-democrat.com/sports/2013November/26/sports.htm