Video: Hunters Save Buck from Coyotes

Field Notes

December 09, 2013

Video: Hunters Save Buck from Coyotes

By Ben Romans

Three mountain lion hunters near Spokane, Washington recently rescued a whitetail buck from becoming a coyote meal by untangling it from another deer’s antlers.

A short video posted online shows a whitetail buck struggling to free itself from the rack of its dead, partially eaten adversary while coyotes watch from a distance. The hunters briefly discuss the scene before trying to help the obviously distressed deer and are eventually able to wrangle it free.

from Michelle Spencer wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

I think hunting is ok, I grew up on deer meat. You only hunt what you will eat. Will these hunters eat the mountain lion that they plan to kill? I seriously doubt it. You never ever kill something you don't plan to eat.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kyle Wyss wrote 18 weeks 17 hours ago

nice job guys

from CUBSSOUVENIRMAN wrote 18 weeks 16 hours ago

Great job guys, that took a lot of guts, but the first thing I would have done was shoot the three coyotes!

from Donna Hunter wrote 18 weeks 15 hours ago

I say thank you and job well done, I would have taken the coyote, and as far as the comment about the mountain lion, many lion hunters eat the cat meat they say it is delicious. im just proud to see that there are some good folks out there who didn't just ignore the situation, which would have resulted in 2 lost bucks to coyotes, and again I say thank you.

from rockylizard wrote 18 weeks 15 hours ago

Thanks for saving the buck.

I loved how it gave the little jump kick after it started to run off...like "YEAH! I'm free! " I also like how the buck pretty much stopped struggling when they grabbed its antlers, it's almost like it knew they were trying to help it.

The guy in camo is one ballzy bro.

(I only kill what I eat also, except in self-defense--I've lost 4 sheep to coyotes this year, so coyotes are shoot-on-sight at my place. That being said, that is a decision between every hunter and the Creator. I don't judge people for earning extra money by trapping or whatever. That's their business. My business is what I choose to hunt. Just my opinion.)

from Mike Cook wrote 17 weeks 6 days ago

Michelle I would say if you were looking a mountain lion in the face. You would pray for someone to come shoot it before it eats you!!

from Brad Holmes wrote 17 weeks 6 days ago

Michelle Spencer it shows that you are not a hunter. Hunting license and tags in Washington State can be bought grouped. The most common is deer, elk, bear and cougar. Cougar meat is a sweet tasting meat.

from CUBSSOUVENIRMAN wrote 18 weeks 16 hours ago

from Kyle Wyss wrote 18 weeks 17 hours ago

nice job guys

from Donna Hunter wrote 18 weeks 15 hours ago

from rockylizard wrote 18 weeks 15 hours ago

Thanks for saving the buck.

The guy in camo is one ballzy bro.

from Mike Cook wrote 17 weeks 6 days ago