U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Releases $18 Billion Plan to Squash Asian Carp Threat

Field Notes

January 09, 2014

By Ben Romans

On Monday, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released an outline of options to stop Asian carp from migrating into the Great Lakes and threatening the region’s $7 billion sport fishing industry.

However, according to the Chicago Tribune, the Corps two-year study might be too little too late, after a string of recent DNA findings along various shorelines hint Asian carp may have already infiltrated operational barriers and made their way into the Great Lakes.

“Any kind of engineering structure has a point of weakness,” said Dave Wethington, the study’s chief author. “If there were a series of storms that totally swamp the system, you could still get transfer of species, even with a physical barrier.”

Of the eight options presented, the most expensive was an $18 billion plan to permanently separate Lake Michigan from the Chicago River and its connected waterways—a task that would take up to 25 years with no guarantee the fish wouldn’t work their way into the Great Lakes during that time. A less expensive, $68 million a year option is to net and poison carp while maintaining the electronic barrier in the Sanitary and Ship Canal north of Lockport, but it also isn’t receiving much fanfare from legislators.

“I’ve seen too many of these long-term Corps projects languish for years and fall victim to congressional inaction,” said U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, the Illinois Democrat and assistant Senate majority leader. “We can't gamble with the threat of Asian carp ... or risk severe flood damage to the Chicago metropolitan area by pursuing a risky plan at the expense of our current efforts.”

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 16 hours ago

Is that a real picture? Wow. Have they tried a $dollar bounty? I doubt that it would solve all the problems but I think it would slow down the problem.

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 16 hours ago

from Georgeteyler1408 wrote 14 weeks 15 hours ago

From what I have seen. The carp are such an invasive species that even if less than 50 are already in the lake it's to late. They spawn so often and with so many eggs that the lakes will be ruined in 5 years.

from buckhunter wrote 14 weeks 10 hours ago

Asian carp have been in the Great Lakes for years.

from blueticker wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago

Better idea....Give $1 billion in 12 ga shells to rednecks who promise to shoot every shell at Asian carp next summer. Trust me, you won't believe how many will be eliminated, and it is about as much fun as you'll ever have with your clothes on. A jonboat & shotgun are all that's required, cold beer is a good option too.

from drawer.bli wrote 11 weeks 5 days ago

Scary, the Asian Carp will devastate the lakes in a matter of months if they are in there. I say more people should fish for them. They actually are pretty good table fare! They're also pretty fun to shoot with a bow.

from gtabassin wrote 10 weeks 3 days ago

I don't think itl be easy

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 16 hours ago

from wittsec wrote 14 weeks 16 hours ago

from Georgeteyler1408 wrote 14 weeks 15 hours ago

from buckhunter wrote 14 weeks 10 hours ago

Asian carp have been in the Great Lakes for years.

from blueticker wrote 11 weeks 6 days ago