Food Fight Friday: Leftovers Edition

Field Notes

February 14, 2014

Food Fight Friday: Leftovers Edition

By David Draper

It’s no secret that I’m a fan of leftovers. In several past Wild Chef posts I’ve touted the value of them. I especially appreciate it when last night’s dinner becomes today’s lunch in a whole new form. This week’s Food Fight honors upcycling wild ingredients into dishes that could easily find a home on a diner’s lunch menu. And don’t forget, we would love to feature your fish or wild game dish here, so snap a photo, write up a short description and send them to fswildchef@gmail.com.

SMC1986’s Backstrap Quesadillas

When it comes to using up leftovers, you can almost never go wrong wrapping a bunch of ingredients in a tortilla. The floury rounds are practically made for such a thing and
SMC1986 did his up right. “So what do you do with leftover grilled backstrap, leftover stir fry vegetables, and leftover tortillas from Mexican night? You make backstrap quesadillas, of course.”

David’s Moose French Dip

When I was a kid, we didn’t eat out all that much, so when we did it was a special occasion. I celebrated by ordering the exact meal every time—a French dip and fries—from the time I was probably 5 until I was a teenager. I’m not sure why, but the hearty sandwich dipped in au jus still represents something special, even if it’s made at home using trimmings off a moose roast from the night before.

from wittsec wrote 8 weeks 5 days ago

Going to have to go with the French Dip. One of the wonderful things about eating game meat is being able to taste it. All that cheese in the quesadilla hides what I like most about eating game meat, especially backstrap.

from jdwood wrote 8 weeks 5 days ago

I love a good french dip, and being able to make one at home with leftover moose just sounds overly delicious. Going to have to whip something like this up one of these days.

from MaxPower wrote 8 weeks 5 days ago

Both look pretty tempting, but I can't say no to backstrap. I just can't believe there could be any leftover.

from SMC1986 wrote 8 weeks 4 days ago

Damn David. That moose dip looks great. Any tips on keeping roasts moist like that? I've made venison roasts in the crock pot and they never turn out as well as I would hope. Also what did you slice that with to get it so thin?

from Double D wrote 8 weeks 2 days ago

I braise all my venison roasts in a Dutch oven with a cup or so of stock. Low (225), slow (4-5 hours) and moist - much like a Crock Pot does. For the sandwich, I also soaked the moose (sliced with a very sharp knife) in the au jus (1 cup stock, 2 tbs. leftover gravy, Worcestershire) as it heated up.

from wittsec wrote 8 weeks 5 days ago