A Fishing Outfit for Tough Economic Times

FlyTalk

July 30, 2009

A Fishing Outfit for Tough Economic Times

By Tim Romano

Every once and a while the guys over at Moldychum.com have a blog post so brilliant I have to steal it and post for the Flytalk nation to read. Granted they found this great idea over at instructables.com first on how to build this little pocket rod and reel out of everyday items you could find in your garage. If you've got a pen, some washers, wire, bolts, nuts, a nail, glue, old car antenna, fishing line, swivel, and a hook you're in business. Follow this...

LINK for instructions on how to build it. If anyone actually completes this this tiny masterpiece, fishes it and catches something you have to let us know. We'll post your creation for the world to see.

TR

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Creative.....I may have to find some bored time to tinker with this idea. Do they include instructions for a paperclip rod holder? lol

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Now I know what to do with that old whip antenna I used for a presentation pointer. Telescopic antennas break too easily. Might try a sewing bobbin instead of washers for the reel. Bobby pins for the guides. Excuse to cut a hole in the ice and try it this winter.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Not sure what to think of that other than he(she) must have a lot of time to kill.

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

sounds like a great way to kill time, now only if we could do that with guns...

from blake425 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

the person who made this mudt be unemployed.haha

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Good luck reeling in a 4lb bass with that thing !!!!!!!

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Great way to kill some time, that would make a great gag gift. I am gonna look around in my workshop and find the parts to put one of those together.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I thought the hard times fishing pole was some found line, a stick, and a paperclip hook.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

might try this one day to kill time.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

So, tell me TR, this "Rube Goldberg fishing outfit"...if I actually take the time to build it, fish it, "catch something" with it...does "it" have to be a fish? If you guys want to google "Rube~Goldberg.com" you will find that there have been alot of "unique" inventions through the years...follow the links.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I think that it is neat and might be good to put in an emergency bag that could work but I would not see myself using it if I was out of the emergency situation. Why use something like that if/when you got rods/reels that work ten times as well. I will admit, it would be cool to catch a fish on it but seems more like a novelty than anything.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I'm sorry!T.R I think a little spool of line and a couple of nimphs works as a pocket fishing tools. By the way I don't consider myself as a hand-crafter.

from chadian wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. chad lavin studio. www.lavinstudio.com

from blake425 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

the person who made this mudt be unemployed.haha

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

sounds like a great way to kill time, now only if we could do that with guns...

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Good luck reeling in a 4lb bass with that thing !!!!!!!

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

might try this one day to kill time.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago