Stuff That Works: Use Toe Warmers To Heat Up Your Hands

FlyTalk

April 14, 2010

Stuff That Works: Use Toe Warmers To Heat Up Your Hands

By Tim Romano

I know it's getting a bit warm for this recommendation, but if you live in a mountain climate like I do you, still have a month or so of cold mornings and evenings out on the water.

If you've never used a pair of hand warmers I highly suggest it. Although the technology is quite old, the heat produced by the iron, salt, wood, and charcoal mixture when its exposed to air still amazes me. I like the HotHands-2 brand, which seem to last longer and stay warmer than others I've tried.

I gave up using gloves when fishing in the cold years ago. I don't even bring them any more. I grew tired of taking mittens on and off, or accidently getting them wet when landing a fish. Plus it's worse for the fish when you touch them with anything other than wet skin. I simply make sure my jacket has two open waist-high pockets, throw a pair of hand warmers in, and when my digits can't take the cold any more, take a break and shove my hands in for a spell. Voila! They're like new.

My lastest trick is to use HotHands' Toasti Toes foot warmers for my hands. They're not as large as the hand warmers, but they have an adhesive backing you can use to stick them to the insides of your pockets, which guarantees they won't fall out when you're reaching down to unhook a fish.

TR

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 5 days ago

Some foot warmers also last longer and are warmer.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 4 days ago

Nice, I just recently got into using hand warmers since I've come to the realization that the pins and needles feel later was not that cool.

from MLH wrote 4 years 4 days ago

I've been using the stick on toe warmers in hunting mittens for years. When fishing just have to remember to keep them dry or the reaction stops. They also don't work well in confined areas (like insulated/rubber boots and closed vinyl pockets) because they need oxygen to work.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 4 days ago

Now is the time to buy them. They go on sale in the spring and they'll last until next winter. I purchased about $20 worth last spring and they lasted the boys and I all bow season(4 months).

I think they work best in a hand muff strapped around the waist.

I've never had any luck stuffing one in my boot but I've never made a good effort.

from bigjake wrote 4 years 4 days ago

As an industrial freezer warehouse employee,I use disposable heaters on a daily basis(its -36Celsius day in day out where I work).I personally only use the hand variety because the average foot warmer only goes to 100 degrees while most hand warmers average at 130.Also foot warmers usually conk out in under 6 hours while hand warmers last 8 to 10 hours.I stuff one in the toe of each boot to keep the steel plates in my boots from freezing.My top pick for brands is the GRABBER Warmers, they are the size of a teabag,and give a strong long lasting heat,plus they only cost around a buck a piece.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 days ago

The "body" size in a camo hand muff is perfect on stand. I've used them when the temps were in the twenties and when you need to shoot, your hands stay warm plenty long enough without bulky gloves in the way.

from joaxe wrote 4 years 3 days ago

Hand warmers also work great for hunting.

Place one over each kidney (or use a "kidney belt") and one on the top of the chest to keep your "core" body temperature elevated. The adhesive ones are great!

BTW...those "Toasti-Toes" warmers are junk (they don't get hot enough). HeatMax "Hothands", Heat Factory or Grabber are better choices! Check Walmart during season.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 3 days ago

Now that I'm a bit older, these fishing aids make more sense! Great tip on things that work!

from bigjake wrote 4 years 4 days ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 5 days ago

Some foot warmers also last longer and are warmer.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 4 days ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 4 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 4 days ago

I think they work best in a hand muff strapped around the waist.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 days ago

from joaxe wrote 4 years 3 days ago

Hand warmers also work great for hunting.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 3 days ago