Cermele: Abandoned Boats and Restoration Shortcomings

The Lateral Line

May 21, 2010

Cermele: Abandoned Boats and Restoration Shortcomings

By Joe Cermele

One website I'm always sure to look at on a weekly basis is Yousuckatcraigslist.com. This site compiles the most insanely ridiculous Craig's List posts sent in by viewers and comments on them. If you've spent any time on Craig's List, you know people try to sell, trade, or barter some really off-the-wall stuff. Take, for example, this post I recently read on yousuckatcraigslist.

Unique Sand Box for kids
We have a really unique sandbox for the kids to play in – Free...

We cut a 16 foot ski boat in half longways. That left the top of the boat, with the steering wheel to fill with sand. It’s gone through the grandkids and has just been getting dirty and filling with weeds. Free to the first person who comes to get it. We’re moving and it must be out of here by April 30.

They forgot to add that tetanus shots are required. Clearly this is a poor attempt to con some sucker into getting rid of the old boat, but it got me thinking about the days long before I or any of my buddies could afford a boat. We always had radar spinning for those old abandoned boats out in the woods, or the one on someone's lawn with the "free" sign. I bet you know what I'm talking about. We'd spend a few days trying to convince ourselves we could restore them, but alas, it never happened.

Just the other day I found a new weed-covered boat on a trailer near a pond by my house. I had to laugh because 10 years ago, I'd have been thinking of a way to get it out of there. Has anyone ever actually grabbed the junker on the lawn or woods and restored it? If nothing else, I'm sure I'm not the only one that could find a free boat or two this weekend if I were so inclined. - JC

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Give me that boat and $20,000, and I could build you a nice little vessel worth about $10,000! LMAO

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Amen Sea Dog! A friend of mine once spent an entire summer fall and winter working on an old Trojan Inboard Wooden 24 footer. When he was done he had spent enough in time and money to buy a new 19 foot center console fiberglass boat built locally and put one of the Johnson 88 HP outborads on it!

As luck would have it he got most of his money back by sellin the boat to a collector who scrapped it for parts to fix his... insanity goes in fits and spurts I guess...

from gman3186 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

i got a few jon boats out of peoples yards and fixed the the holes and fished out of them for a few years then either sold them or gave them away. i got a 14 foot jon boat a few weeks ago for free someone ripped the plug out but im just gonna fiberglass it over and use it in a local farm pond

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Fixin up a "gone`r" is how i aquired my first boat. The previous owner sold it so cheap as he did cos it had a hole in the bottom. He claimed the boat had just sprouted that hole in situ and had gotten a brand new boat from the manufacturer already so he practically gave it away at 350 bucks back then (boat cost like 2500 new). I had offcourse a better understanding of glassfibre than him, and he was a real honyak, and saw he had just hit an uderwater reef that had gouged a 2 inch half inch wide gash in the bottom and after i bought it i didnt even have a boattrailer so i just got out the gaffa tape and put the boat on the water and rowed that sucker home. Next i spent like 50 bucks on materials and in an old disused freezerrom and with a borrowed spaceheater i restored it back to even stronger than it had ever been. i didnt have much funds back then only being 12, but i got the job done with guidance from my uncle who had worked in a boatfactory before and end result looked brand new with a new coating on the bottom. next season after running it with my brother 9.9 johnson the first i got my own very used mercury 20 and finally the boat flew.. (boat was 16 foot). loong story bout everything, but with the quota i had on it it made its money back in use many many many times over. and it have been restored more than once since that. And its still in use. 21 years later. my brother used it the previous weekend to go look for seagull eggs and it looks beat up and old and if u put it in someones yard and put in on craigslist, not a dang sould would come get it for free. but it did its job many times over and now have sentimental value to me and our family. and might get a complete rebuild some time in the future or maybe be used to make a mouldcast of it to build a new one if the fibreglass is just too rotten, so im pretty sure its legacy will live on. Besides it is a great family boat and have a load capacity of about 3000 pounds.
and one more thing, they just dont make boats like that anymore ;)

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

As I cut through the nearly six foot tall grass, my high wheel mower hit something and came to an abrupt stop. As a pimple faced teenager of 15, I took on the neighbor's ranch grass, for what I'm sure, was a mere pitance. I hit the tongue of a boat trailer, with a boat on it, no less. I walked away from the ranch that day very tired but very excited, with some cash in hand and, with dad's help, a boat and trailer. It needed some work when the neighbor gave it to me free, and it still did need some work after I gave it up, some twenty years later with about a thousand fish hunts under my belt. Great times, great boat. Man, that thing was heavy.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I have restored 3.5 "free" boats, an old fiberglass canoe that had been crushed by snow up in the White Mountains (Moose did the fibreglass, I carved thwarts and seats, stem 'n stern pieces and new gunnel wood) Ugly as sin but she paddles just fine.
Next this lady I worked with had a Snark wetsailer, that I made seaworthy but I ain't done with it yet.
Most recently a guy brought me a Sportyak III that some idiot had attempted to bolt a motor mount 5 times too big onto. He destroyed the integrity of the hull by cutting a big hole in it and cracked it to boot by cranking down too hard on the silly arse carriage bolts he was using. Ahh but I know you can weld a thermoplastic boat with essentially a hot butterknife!
I also had to foam the hollow interior but she flats and rows nice now, you betcha! I see a lot of guys fishin from Kayaks but the Sportyak has lots more room inside and is stable enough to stand up in (try that with a kayak). I had to get some proper oars and oarlocks but that wasn't hard. I think it is now my favorite puddle jumpin boat now, very easy for a woman who likes to fish alone to handle.
Another boat may come my way someday, modern life means lookin' out for opportunities and jumpin' on 'em.

from CPT BRAD wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I always had a plan to make a poor mans pontoon out of 55 gal barrels! Good thing I never got around to it I'd had to loose a good rod and reel!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I purchased a little jon boat while in high school and transformed it into a nice little bass boat rigged with seats, platform, anchor, rod holders...

I had to sell the boat to help pay for college and never replaced it until 25 years later.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Thank you so much for turning me onto "YSACL.com". I laughed so hard I nearly tore my stiches open! (I am recovering from a medical procedure). I especially liked the apartment rental ad "walls drip with blood" with the "weird Gorgoroth thing in the basement" and the "Norwegian grindrock zombies" that occasionally tresspass on the porch (but are easily frightened away with flashlights). Ingebritsen, you are our representative Norwegian, perhaps you could comment on the "wailing of undead through the hills" and those fascinating grindrock zombies?

from Cgull wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I've resurrected a couple fiberglass hulls over the years. I have a 60's model 13 speed boat in the barn that only needs seats, new window and some beefing up in the transom area. When finished it'll make a great light wieght cruser, hmm wonder if I can mount a fishing seat and trolling motor on the bow. Had a friend that had an old 19 ft Bostom Whaler giving to him, cost him 6 grand to get the boat back to new and another 15K for the motor. Nice boat but, really?

Oh bella bella bella. ok ill have to enlighten u i see :P
first watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdsKH3Qt8
then read and put through google translate this:http://spray.nettavisen.no/kultur/tegneserie/rutetid/index.jsp?week=46&year=2003
Then ask yourself, do u really wanna know???:P

And yeah i could fit into any blackmetal band both of appearance and taste in music, and to look at me u would think my hobby was burning down 1000 year old wooden churches, not hunting and fishing.
So bella i AM one of those grindrock zombies to u and im not afraid to say so ;)
Just cos u dont get it doesnt mean anything :D
But im just not anal about it and have self-insight enough to see the irony of it all, but im still a nice guy with healthy interests as is most "grindrock zombies" i know. They have kids, morgages and jobs 99% of them and better people cannot be found anywhere in my opinion ;):D
Just look: this is the resident club where i find MY people here, and there have in the years since -98 when the club was started never been a single fight in that club. N O T O N E!!!! shall i repeat that?? nada, zilch, zip. And there isnt a football bar in the city that doesnt have atleast 3 fistfights a night, even on weekdays. http://dominion.no/gallery/
So think again bella and see if u might not get it in time ;)
peace

-2 Good Comment? | | Report

and i have my own flashlight :D:D:D

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

BTW im eating whale right f-ing now and I`M LOVING IT :P;)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

-here is my favourite comic strip too;) http://www.metro.co.uk/games/nemi/
Made by this girl
Enjoy bella, its all for u :D

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from chongo70 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I've restored my current fishing vessel 3 times, yes, I mean restored. It was my old man's first boat, he sold it to my unkle and I bought it from him. It's just an old 14 foot aluminum v-hull, I'm told from Sears and Roebuck back in the day, nobody knows the year. I've taken it down to the hull 3 times and I think I finally got it right - I think. It doesn't leak anymore so thats a good start.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Ingebritsen, I would hate to have you think that I held any prejudice against Norwegian Grindrock Zombies or nice traditionally harvested nonendangered whale steaks. I have eaten whale at least once myself (it was in a can, likely not the best way to serve it up). Many of my best friends are into the heavymetal/industrial/ music scene, I'm just a bit too old for the mosh pit myself, (I'd rather tend the Bar and pour the beer) Why do you think in my picture I am attired entirely in black?
As you may have noted, we agree on more than we disagree, I just thought the apartment ad was hilarious.
And as far as weird Gorgoroth things in the basement, you should see mine!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

bar and beer sounds nice to me though id rather be on the other side of it ;)
Im just a little more picky bout the background music, and a little the clientelle. but i say let other people do whatever they want to, and since i live in the navel of metal in norway noone looks twice at me for dressing in black here. (and occationally in camo :P )kinda the reason i like to live here not back north where i grew up :P
as for the moshpit. its norway. its nonthreathening and very few gets hurt in concerts in norway :D
im lookinjg forward to rammstein here in 3 weeks though ;)
peace bellissima :P

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Ah Ingebritsen, my husband calls me that, and you are sweet too. Enjoy Rammstein.

from WoodyInWA wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Glass windows in boat...not so safe for a child's sandbox. We sure see a lot of free boats. In fact, one fella pulled a boat by house, got flat and left it out front by road--chock full of junk! Slowly the junk pile dwindled each night. Then the motor disappeared, then one morning we awoke to find the entire boat missing--trailer and all. So...I guess somebody thought the FREE boat was worth dragging home.

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

funny stuff

from jamesti wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

i've never seen an abandoned or free boat. would be fun to work on if it was worth it. i'm still spending money on my '48 willies.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from gman3186 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

and one more thing, they just dont make boats like that anymore ;)

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from CPT BRAD wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from chongo70 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

And as far as weird Gorgoroth things in the basement, you should see mine!

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from WoodyInWA wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

funny stuff

from jamesti wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

and i have my own flashlight :D:D:D

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

BTW im eating whale right f-ing now and I`M LOVING IT :P;)

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

-here is my favourite comic strip too;) http://www.metro.co.uk/games/nemi/
Made by this girl
Enjoy bella, its all for u :D

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

bar and beer sounds nice to me though id rather be on the other side of it ;)
im lookinjg forward to rammstein here in 3 weeks though ;)
peace bellissima :P

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

Oh bella bella bella. ok ill have to enlighten u i see :P
first watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdsKH3Qt8
Then ask yourself, do u really wanna know???:P

Just cos u dont get it doesnt mean anything :D
So think again bella and see if u might not get it in time ;)
peace