New Hook Shots: Atlantic Salmon in Legendary Waters

The Lateral Line

May 28, 2010

New Hook Shots: Atlantic Salmon in Legendary Waters

By Joe Cermele

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of spending three days on the Miramichi River in New Brunswick, Canada. Since I began fly fishing, I vowed to one day pull an Atlantic salmon from this hallowed river where anglers like Lee Wulff honed their craft. Atlantics are hailed as the "king of all gamefish," and they are one of the first species to be seriously pursued by fly anglers in the early days of the sport. But I found out quickly that bucket list fish don't come easy. Of course, I've never been one to complain about working hard on the water. There is so much history and tradition on the Miramichi that just being there is as rewarding as hooking the fish. I'm sure you fish places like that, too. I hope you enjoy the show, and I hope everyone keeps their lines tight over the long weekend. - JC

from FBM wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Mr. Deeter and Cermele,
I think that the Atlantic Salmon on your bucket list is not done yet ;) Black salmon and Grilse are not "The Kings". You have to catch a "Grand Saumon" (a salmon who have spent at least two years on the sea, feeding and growing to 10+ pounds approx.) when they come to spawn. At this time, they don't feed anymore, but when you catch one they are real torpedo! When you catch a big one, say 20+ pounds you can say that is a magnificent fish and call it "The king". The best time to catch a big one is late June in Québec. I recommand to you guys the Gaspé region, three little rivers at the same place, cristal clear water and lots of salmons!

Best regards!

François

from MLH wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Fish or no fish, you guys just have way too much fun. You'll have to fish the St. Mary's River someday (by the Soo locks).

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Awesome episode.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Excellent! Ireland and Scotland Atlantic Salmon are on my bucket list...

from Mac in Mo wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Joe, Yet again another great episode. Were those wood boats handmade? Kevin

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Mac, yes they were. It's a local skill for sure, and those boats are perfectly suited for that river. You can actually buy one without a motor for like 400 bucks. One of the guides at the lodge builds them all. Very stable boats.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

From what I saw I give fly fishing for steelhead in the Fall swinging flies on a dry line vs. the sink-tips they were using the nod as a quality fishery. That video makes me realize how great I had it on the West Coast swinging small flies comparatively speaking, #8's and #10's on 6wt dry lines, on 9' 6wt rods for steelhead in the 6-12 lb range...and it was an automatic multi fish day, day after day, after day in the Fall.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Tell me...are you proud to be one of the chosen frozen?
Cakes and sausage for breadfast? Cool.

Hey, great episode, I mean the video quality, editing and damn fine music...well done.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Great video JC.

from Chrissea wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Joe – Really great episode!! That’s one off the bucket list – How many more to go?

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

awesome episode, when do you head up to Alaska, for the real big ones? that's something I always enjoy watching and I like it when the fly fishing editor gets beat at his own game.

from MLH wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from FBM wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Mr. Deeter and Cermele,

Best regards!

François

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Awesome episode.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Excellent! Ireland and Scotland Atlantic Salmon are on my bucket list...

from Mac in Mo wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Joe, Yet again another great episode. Were those wood boats handmade? Kevin

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Tell me...are you proud to be one of the chosen frozen?
Cakes and sausage for breadfast? Cool.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago