New Hook Shots: Bull Redfish in Oil Spill Central

The Lateral Line

May 01, 2010

New Hook Shots: Bull Redfish in Oil Spill Central

By Joe Cermele

When I landed late last week from a trip to the Mississippi Delta in Louisiana, I was on cloud nine. The redfishing was off the charts and I was beyond pleased with the "Hook Shots" episode I had in the can. It was on my second day of filming that the oil rig exploded in the Gulf, but at the time, no one knew just how bad the situation would become. Watching this episode now and knowing that every single piece of water in the video is already covered or close to covered with crude oil is heartbreaking. I hope this "Hook Shots" does not become a record of what fishing used to be like in the Delta.

Tim Romano and Bob Marshall already posted about the crisis occuring in the Gulf. Having just been there, the thought of this area being damaged beyond repair is hard to swallow. Everywhere I travel, I can honestly say that meeting new people is in no small way more gratifying than catching fish. During my trip, I met guides, lodge owners, chefs, and bait shop owners that may all have their livelihood taken away by this oil spill. They are hard-working people that could talk for hours about how much they love the Delta and how much those waters (which were already damaged by Hurricane Katrina) mean to them.

Given the situation, I am glad I got to fish the Delta before all hell broke loose, but the thought of not being able to go back and do it all again is too much to grip. So, enjoy the show, but say a prayer that this catastrophe will not forever ruin such a wonderful place, and that you will be able to visit and experience fishing beyond compare in due time. - Joe Cermele

from Kort Barlow wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Wonderful film celebrating the magic, warmth & hospitality that defines the outdoor life style of the beautiful South.
Its so very sad that the tragic events that have recently transpired in the Gulf will cause tremendous damage and alter this extremly important watershed for years to come. Watermen, people of the Missisippi Delta and Southern coast our prayers are with both you & your invalualbe, pristine ecosystem.

from mountaindew732 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

My heart kind of wrenched this morning as I saw on the news this morning that no real progress has come to stopping the oil flow. Even sadder was it wasn't the main story, it was just a side note. This oil spill will cause just as much damage to the ecosystem and financial status in the south east and they aren't even speaking about it. This truely will be a blow that will be hard to recover from.
Tomorrow the President is supposed to "survey" the oil spill as he visits the gulf coast. I would feel better if that meant for sure he is going to act and do something.
Anyway, enough venting, I loved the video and loved the little redfish song he was singing lol

from Cgull wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Nice shoot Joe!! Great way to get a work out and is the reason I now fish both left and right handed. MMM, fish on the half shell, been eating grilled half shell reds, flounder, crappie and other scaled fish for yrs. We can only pray this great fishery is somehow saved (please Mr Obama, use all the power you have to reverse the damage that will be done).

from fisherman wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

What a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers with the entire gulf coast. Here's to hoping the ecosystem will make a quick recovery.

from Kort Barlow wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago