Pirates Claim Rocket Launchers were for Shark Fishing

Field Notes

May 26, 2010

Pirates Claim Rocket Launchers were for Shark Fishing

By Chad Love

Here's one from the "I graduated with honors from the Captain Quint School of Extreme Shark Fishing" files...

From the story in the Daily (UK) Telegraph:

'Pirates' claim they were just fishing for sharks... with rocket launchers

Five Somali men have protested that they were shark fishermen not pirates despite being intercepted off Somalia's coast after attacking a Dutch vessel with rocket launchers and assault rifles. Europe's first modern trial for the 17th century crime of "sea robbery" has opened in Rotterdam amid protestations of innocence from the accused. The men, facing jail terms of nine to 12 years, are accused of attacking and attempting to hijack the Samanyolu, a Dutch Antilles-flagged ship, while it was sailing in the Gulf of Aden in January 2009.

The ship's Turkish crew beat off the attack by firing signal flares at the Somali boat, destroying it. Danish marines then rescued and arrested the Somalis before handing them over to Dutch authorities. Farah Ahmed Yusuf, 25, accused the cargo ship of attacking the Somalis after engine failure had forced them to abandon their shark fishing expedition and seek help. "The intention was to fish," he said. "As we came closer, we put our hands in the air. While we had our hands in the air, they shot at us. They attacked us." Another accused man, Sayid Ali Garaar, 39, said: "We were not pirates, we were fishermen. There were no weapons."

Reaction?

from 60256 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

In America, they would get away with it. It's called being politically correct, if I recal correctly.

Nate

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I gotta agree with 60256. They'd probly get away with that defense in the U.S. And hundreds of somalis would be protesting outside the courthouse claiming racism and then the pirates would probably get some sort of compensation and asylum in the U.S. Hopefully the U.K. hangs 'em high.

from country road wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Nate, I'm afraid you're right. It seems that criminals can get away with the most outrageous claims that you can imagine. The last time I was on jury duty I came close to comitting battery on one of the other jurors, and I wasn't the only one. She actually gave credence to the unsupported lies of the defendant in the face of overwhelming evidence against him. She was probably saving her money to have "Idiotic, Left-wing, Liberal, Bleeding-Heart Do-Gooder" tattoed on her forehead. She almost hung the jury, but not quite. The defendant is now wearing his dreadlocks in prison on a three-strikes-you're-out conviction.

from scott powers wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

wow what liers they should all be shoot at the stake! we cant afford to have people around like this any more. we need to stop them from hurting other people.

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Shark fishin' with an RPG? Riiight. Suuure. I can only imagine how that might really work, if one were dumb enough to try it. This Vet has some idea about what an RPG-7 is actually capable of, even if I am a girl (prefer the 84mm Karl Gustav myself...)
The former bad excuse of being the "Somali Coast Guard" was lame but better than the shark fishin bull.
I have heard that there ain't much fish left off the Somali coast, considering the huge factory trawlers scraping the bottom clean, and If they were starving fisherfolk, One might almost understand them wanting to take those trawlers on, but container ships, bulk haulers and cruise ships ain't trawlers and can't even be confused with trawlers, as they haven't any outriggers, no trawl doors and no nets!
Piracy is still against the international law of the sea, and ships at sea should be allowed an arms locker to defend themselves against this growing trend.
On a related note, they were driven off by a few well placed FLARE GUN rounds? One might guess they weren't too committed to their life of crime...I have a 27mm flare gun, purchased at a gun show with 6 different kinds of flares, didn't know they trumped an RPG though. I mostly use mine on the 4th of July as Roman Candles are illegal, but a flare gun is legit (and far louder than any known firecracker, whohoo Kaboom! Flash)
And one o' them $5 parachute rounds do light up the night like noon! (and I thought I had 'em for "zombie apocalypse").

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I guess the depth charges were for Grouper and Snapper...

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

You guys are so suspicious. An RPG is the perfect one-step shark fishing & processing tool. Chum the AO, achieve target acquisition, fire--all that's left is to pick up the pre-processed, salted, shark soup meat with a dip net. It makes perfect sense. LOL

Now stop jumping to conclusions and leave the poor innocent Somali pirates--oops--I mean fishermen alone--they're just trying to "put food on their families." LMAO

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

hmm might have to try that... NOT thats stupide if they were relly shark fishing they whould use AKs you can fire lots more shells thatway and wont destroy all the meat.

from jhunt2 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

No Mike the RPG was just in case Jaws showed up. How can you not believe they were fishing? *sarcasm*

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Prison may be an upgrade from life in Somalia...

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

they sunk the Somalis boat with flair guns those are glorified fireworks. they would have to use RPGs to break the sharks up in enough pieces to bring to shore. They clearly where hoping to upgrade there boat.

from pete5645 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Im not saying that after I read this I didn't think, "hey, that would be AWESOME", but these guys are pirates. Walk the plank...

from Paul Wilke wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Apologize for destroying their trip and boat, and offer them some compensation in the form of of relaxing electro therapy.
"Just sit in this chair Ahab, I'll throw this switch and you'll feel much better."

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

SD_Whitetail_Hntr

Rotterdam is in the Netherlands, not the UK so we'd be unlikely to 'hang 'em high'.
Still they'll get a world class education for free in dutch jail. How are the literacy figures for SD these days?

SBW

from huntenthusiest wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

"Shoot at the stake?"

from Dhoovak wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Hey, the mistake was rescuing them. These are pirates -introduce them to Davy Jones Locker! Aaaarghh!!

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

You really want to set the legal precedent that people can't use whatever weapon that they want for whatever purpose they want when so many Americans claim they have the right to use military rifles for hunting and home defense?

I predict this sort of arrogance will come back to bite us in the ass.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I say the pirates have an interesting theory. Let's tie a pirate to a plank with a primed RPG round, tow him on a line, and chum the water for sharks. See if he can nail the shark before the shark nails him.

from DeadDog1234 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I see, I've been doing it all wrong all these years by using a rod and reel. I guess I had better get with the times. Wait, were they commercial or private fishermen? We may want to contact GreenPeace and have them protest thier fishing methods.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I'd like to take those Somalis with me shark fishing...they would be the bait.

from Ruckweiler wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

AKs and RPGs as fishing equipment. I'd hate to see the size of the sharks they thought they were going to kill with those. It's a shame that the Dutch Marines couldn't solve the problem the way SEAL Teams do.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Good Lawyers=good liars. If the jury has been watching Jaws, then I think they have a shot. Personally, I like watching shows where the captain reaches over with a Rossi and slugs the sharks, but for you aficionados, a side by side 20 would make for a nice story. I'm thinking buckhammers, what do you think?

from Paul Wilke wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from scott powers wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from jhunt2 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

Prison may be an upgrade from life in Somalia...

from pete5645 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Dhoovak wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I guess the depth charges were for Grouper and Snapper...

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I'd like to take those Somalis with me shark fishing...they would be the bait.

from 60256 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Nate

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

SD_Whitetail_Hntr

SBW

from huntenthusiest wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

"Shoot at the stake?"

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I predict this sort of arrogance will come back to bite us in the ass.

from DeadDog1234 wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago