Tie Talk: The Poly Caddis

FlyTalk

May 19, 2010

Tie Talk: The Poly Caddis

By Tim Romano

Our resident fly guy, Jason Borger is here again. This time he weighs in with a slightly different twist on one of the most popular patterns of all time - the elk hair caddis.

In Jason's words...

The Poly Caddis (see upper right fly in the photo) is one of my father's old patterns from the 1970s (1972 if you want to be precise). The fly is a take-off on the classic Elk Hair Caddis (one of the all- time "greats" in trout fishing), but uses a synthetic, polypropylene wing to easily get different effects/colors (also makes it easy to tie in small sizes), and it also uses a trimmed X-Hackle for the legs (also a benefit in tiny sizes). Simple to tie, looks great, very effective. Nothing "special," just a solid pattern that does what it is supposed to do.

It can also be modified a bit further, using un-dyed sparkle yarn for the wing, to make a "diving caddis" (see the lower left fly in the photo). My father has also taken to bending the thorax region of the hook upward a few degrees to get the wing to lie back even flatter along the back of the fly. Play around as you see fit, it is an easy pattern to modify (indeed, that's how it came about— as a modification of another pattern).

Check out more of Jason's work on his website. Instructions for this bug below - TR

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Looks like a skunk with a mullet.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Hey TR, thanks for going through JB with this variation of one of our favorite patterns...I'll tie up half a doz. in 16 and 18 and give 'er a try. Especially like the idea of trimming the bottom hackle to a "V"...

from jamesti wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

back to my desk. thanks.

from Jason Borger wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

"A skunk with a mullet." Gotta admit that I've not heard that one before, and it's one that I'll have to remember!

Of course, change the color scheme from what's shown and get a fox with a mullet, a badger with a mullet, a mink with a mullet and so forth. Black, tan, brown and gray (and mixes of those) are good general wing colors, with either similarly colored or "match the hatch" colors for the body and hackle. I often carry the all-black Poly Caddis in my "general" dry-fly box as a searching pattern.

from R_Stone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

First I have to say, my daughter is a huge fan of Jason's as he does a great job mixing art and fly fishing. Great site - we visit often!

Will definitely try this pattern - we actually offer some great hair at fishingsupplyco.com that would be perfect for this fly! Check it out...

from aragonnapoles wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I visit your blog JB,and nedd directions about the strip
leech. (a pass to pass maybe). Good job!!!

from Jason Borger wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

@R_Stone—Thanks for the kind comments about my blog. Good to hear that the art component is appreciated!

@aragonnapoles—Tell you what, the next fly here at FlyTalk will be a Strip Leech variation. The core instructions will get you the basic fly shown on FF&W, and I'll toss in a few extra ideas for FT readers. That fly, depending on size and color-scheme, has caught a serious pile of fish species over the last 30-some years.

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Looks like a variation on the classic Swedish fly pattern, the Rackelhanen.

from uplander12 wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

Looks like a skunk with a mullet.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

back to my desk. thanks.

from Jason Borger wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from R_Stone wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from aragonnapoles wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

I visit your blog JB,and nedd directions about the strip
leech. (a pass to pass maybe). Good job!!!

from Jason Borger wrote 3 years 47 weeks ago

from Nycflyangler wrote 3 years 45 weeks ago

Looks like a variation on the classic Swedish fly pattern, the Rackelhanen.