Merwin: Flies or Artificials Only? You Decide

The Lateral Line

June 21, 2010

Merwin: Flies or Artificials Only? You Decide

By John Merwin

This thought occurred to me the other day while fishing a no-kill area of a major trout river: Should it be “artificial lures only” or should it be “fly fishing only?”

That’s not a simple question. Artificials-only allows spinning tackle and lures to be fished side by side with all the fly anglers who most commonly populate such areas. That’s democratic and, I think, generally a good thing.

The problem is with treble hooks on spinning lures. One key to trout survival in catch-and-release is speed. The faster you get the trout back in the water, the better. It is almost always substantially faster to unhook a single hook than a treble hook. And a single hook does less physical damage to a trout in the first place.

Some rules in some areas require “single-hooked artificals only” for those reasons. That’s no big problem for spin fishermen, who can replace the treble on a Mepps spinner, say, or any kind of trout spoon with a small, size 8 Siwash-style single hook. The trout don’t care if they are hooked on a single-hooked lure or a single-hooked fly. The physical effect is about the same, and releasing fish will be equally easy in either case. So I think a “single-hooked” requirement is a good idea.

Now comes the rub: “Fly only?” At first it might seem to be more of a societal (read snobbish) rule than one of biologic necessity in successfully releasing fish. There are times when I with an ultralight spinning rig will outfish the fly guys because I can cover more water more quickly and efficiently. And there are times--especially during a hatch with rising trout--when the fly guys will score much higher. Fly fishing might be seen (wrongly, I think) as being more difficult and producing fewer fish. And so a fly-fishing-only rule could be argued as a conservation measure.

Let’s hear your take on this: Single-Hooked Artificials Only? Fly-Fishing Only? Or what?

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Artificial lures only gets the call most of the time, because it is public waters, and fly only appeals to only the fly guy. I'm an avid fly fisherman, but don't like the divisiveness caused by the fly fisherman's lobby to get methods eliminated from public waters for the purpose of eliminating other folks from fishing besides fly fisherman. I don't, for instance see the problem with electric trolling motors, and many special regulation waters have no motors that don't include electric trolling motors. Many of the fly elite do not favor the " small people" if you get my drift, and favor regulations that eliminate all but the fly fisherman. Those kinda folks get into the intellectual discussion of "what is really a fly"..many don't like anything on the hook, but fur and feathers, and despise rubber legs, beads of any kind, foam bodied flies...hard for me to be around those kinda folks. I quit subscribing to one flyfishing magazine because the theme of an article was....a fishing experience ruined because the person saw another fisherman!!! One of those "making the connection with nature", and destroyed by another human being!...on public waters!! I called them up, and they attempted to justify the article.

from cTXn wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I agree with your single hook notion. The main point afterall, is the interest in being on the water and only taking what you need. I've fly fished for about 10 years now, but growing up I fished a spinning rod next to my dad while he fly fished. This allowed me to learn from and fish with my old man from a very young age without landing a hook in the back of either of our heads. Additionally, many of the streams I grew up fishing are more populated by spin fisherman than fly fisherman, but certain areas are strictly fly-fishing or single barbless hook spinners only. These areas also have higher restrictions on what you can keep as an added conservation measure. In the end as long as those fishing around me are curtious and respectful of the stream and habitat I have no problem how they fish.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

We have "Trophy Waters" here and are posted this way:

"Single, barbless hook only special trout regulations."

There is no artificial lure or fly only regulation postings. I can see posting "artificial only" to keep the worm and sand shrimp styro containers, which seem to follow bait fishers, from over-populating the shore line. Come on, we've all seen it and this may be the spirit behind "Artificial Lures Only" postings.

I want to see the verbage "single, barbless hook only, catch and release, special trout regulations." Add the "Artificial Only" posting...keep the litterbugs away.

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

In maryland i talked to a game warden in the cassle man area of western maryland. He explained it to me as fly fishing only means no bait. No sented proiducts on u in your person . Told me i could use spining gear all day long as long my worms wernt salted sented impreginated . nothing like that on me. Just something to think about.

I like the idea of a single hook my self. Ever had two out of three trebbles in your head? Still conected to a long A bomber!!! Fun night caught three more rockfish befor i went to hospital lol

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

WickedMidas, I would guess you misunderstood the game warden. You can not post FLY FISHING ONLY, and mean just not worms, single barbless hook. Fly fishing means using a fly line etc. so that it eliminates the use of straight mono.

The intention should be to make the regulations better support a sustainable resource, and not eliminate other methods of fishing. If it is just fly fishing only, it should be limited to a small percentage of waters..license fees go to promoting public waters.

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

No i made it clear i wanted to use a spining rod in the river i mentioned. He defined it as not haveing bait. Any rod reel was alowed. Reason i took the time to ask him is my son is in a wheelchair. And i wanted him to have a chance at catching one of the many brown trout in that area. I was standing there with my bass pro shop spinging rod and shimano reel in my hand while talking to him and fished in front of him. My son was useing a telescopic cane pole for crappie fishing he had a fly on his but i had a joes spinner on mine.

Wcked,
And my point was.. it would not be deemed FLY FISHING ONLY then.
Flyfishing only has specific requirements that make it necessary to use fly gear only, and in most cases, regulate where and if wt. can be used, etc. Maybe in your state it was different, but I do not think so.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I'd prefer the single hook vice treble hook too.
I've fished a lot of places that had "fly only" regs. And, the fly fishermen take liberties with bright beadheads and a spinner blade, calling it a fly. at the same time, the hardware guy is using a jig but that's not a fly! Frankly, the line between a "lure" and a "fly" is blurred.
Also, the use of scents is starting to be more and more of an issue. I fish a couple "artificials only" waters and I frequently see fly fishermen dabbing scents on their flies.
Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity to say something here.

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Maybe theres some game wardens dnr park rangers on here who might be able to help identify the line between the two?

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Mark-O Frankly you guys have blurred me, not the blur between a fly and a hardware lure..a fly is actually a lure. Any "Fly fishing Only" waters I have ever fished, and I have fished a lot of them, are clearly defined as to what you can use, and it is fly gear only...rod/reel/line..very specific. And those spinner, crazy flies you describe are no advantage what-so-ever. The knowledgeable fly angler, and they are the guys that frequent those waters, catch the fish based on the fish/bug knowledge of those particular waters.
And ctxn says "after all it is in the interest of being on the water and taking only what you need?" No, not at all. It is realizing that to protect natural reproduction, and have a sustainable resource allowing a lot of anglers to fish, you usually have to "catch and release", and not keep anything! Lodges enforce that law in Alaska for rainbows..kill nothing, because if every guest took a native rainbow home, just one, they feel it would impact the fishery, and reduce the quality of the fishery.

from losername2of2 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I despise the fly purists. Every time I go trout or Salmon/steelhead fishing, I bring multiple rods with me. A light spinning rod for drift fishing, a heavier spinning rod for plugs, spinners, spoons, lures, and a flyrod for picky fish. I would simply be limmiting my catch if I went less prepared. I enjoy sharing the stream with what ever kind of fisherman comes along, unless he's snagging.

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I prefer the single hook artificial only or completely open. Artificial only leaves open trebels and assuming these regs are fish protection and higher release survival it seem like a half measure. I don't care for fly fishing only because of the exclusion. I did get a ticket but got it withdrawn several years back over fly only section of river. My one and only fly rod I owned at the time was at ST Croix for repair. I was fishing a nymph/split shot combo on a spinning rod on a fly only section of creek. All I had on my person was my nymph and streamer box. Tell me those aren't flies. (Note to those who might try this I only got off because it was posted fly only and being a smart butt I pointed out that no part of the regulation stated the fly must be cast with a fly line AT THAT TIME. The law is more descriptive now.)

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

theres fly fishing areas in my area and your only allowed to use artificial. im kind of curious about this my guess worms may harbor invasive disease? Many of the rivers that have these regulations also have large bass and other fish so other lures do work. i think barbless hooks wouldn't be a bad idea instead of just no artificials.

from MLH wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Around here on waters marked flies only it is legal to use spinning gear with a bobber tied to a mono leader with a fly. Good way to get kids out there.

I have to admit it does seem selfish to demand flies only instead of artificials. Lots of arguments that Flies Only Catch and Release has restored and improved our trout waters. Efforts going on right now in Michigan to increase flies only waters to the amount promised several years ago by the DNRE.

I am surprised anglers around here haven't proposed what countitanddone describes.

from kyka1865 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I am an unapologetic fly fisherman,even though I began on a spinning rod. I rarely use one now, but I do not support the flies only rules except in a few cases that are beyond the scope of this article. I do really like the single hook idea and think this would be a beneficial step in many fisheries, not just trout and salmon. I have a practical aapproach to this, I don't like hooks in my fingers, especially barbed hooks so I de-barb most of my hooks voluntarily.

from shane wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I like barbless hook requirements. I could go for single hook only, but fly fishing only zones are insulting, unfair, and nonsensical. I catch more fish on the fly. I'm not even a good flyfisherman, yet it generally is more productive for me. No reason to exclude the people that have enough sense to have not gotten into fly fishing yet.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Count, has it right..He fishes where I fished most of my Artificial only waters. Artificials only, single barbless hook allows others besides fly fisherman to participate, but the fly guy understands, very well, that it appeals almost exclusively to his fraternity of fishing guys...but that is fine.
The experts, the biologists in the business determine the waters that can sustain natural reproduction, OR, those waters that need planting only say once every three years to maintain a good fishery. The food organisms are there, and the regs support a quality fishery that works with "catch'n release" regs. I fished a lot of them the count would know, and I saw very, very few spin fisherman on those waters...just doesn't appeal to them.

from TimberHunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Occasionally it may take a few seconds more to unhook a treble, but I am an experienced fisherman wuo can whip a trebel hook out of the mouth of a trout, or any other fish for that matter, in about half a second... without damaging the fish. I know what point you are trying to make, but some of us enjoy catching them on spinning tackle. By the way, I am a fly fisherman also!

from LJRguide wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Regarding the post earlier from WckedMidas, here are Marylands artificial flies only rules, taken from Maryland DNR's fishing regulations:

Pay particular attention to lines e and g

a. Open Season – there is no closed season.
b. Creel Limit (all species of trout) in aggregate – 2 Daily / 2 Possession.
c. Minimum Size – Brook Trout is 12 inches; Brown Trout is 18 inches; and for all other species of trout there is no minimum size.
d. A person may not have in possession any trout smaller than the minimum size limit in effect for this area.
e. A person may fish only with artificial flies and streamers.
f. The use or possession of any natural bait, live bait, or any device enhanced with a scent capable of catching fish, other than artificial flies, is prohibited in this area.
g. A person may fish only with conventional fly fishing tackle (fly rods, fly reels, and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet of leader or monofilament line attached). Any method of angling when the fly is cast directly from the reel is prohibited. The use of spinning, spincast, and casting reels is prohibited and reels.

Sounds as if you were given bad information, or you were fishing in artificial lures only regulations.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

LJR, my position exactly...number G says it all. But I screwed up in thinking there were a number of fly only waters where I fished. Most of them were Artificial lures only waters, single barbless, no bait. That did the job of protecting the resource, and allowed any type of angler to participate....but it did appeal almost entirely to the fly fisherman. And once you include 'catch and release only" then it insures few other types other than fly anglers, but that is OK..there aren't alot of those waters compared to the many planted lakes, especially, and some streams that are planted annually as put and take waters.

from LJRguide wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Here in Pennsylvania we have C&R regs that include fly fishing only, artificial lures only, and all tackle. PA's rulebook is very specific as to what a fly is, and what a lure is...there's not much gray area.

Our C&R water is mainly wild and native trout water, and the C&R designation is meant to protect those fish. Something that I feel is missing on a lot of these waters is a single barbless hook rule. Barbed treble hooks do in fact wreak havoc on a trouts mouth and jaw. It seems counterproductive to the protection C&R provides when barbed trebles are used.

The spin fishermen here tend to stick to the stocked water where you can keep fish, then move on to other types of fishing once the stocking trucks are parked for the summer. Our C&R water is fished most often by fly fishers. Just as sayfu said, it just doesn't appeal as much to spin fishers.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I go to Tellico a few times a year and they have special areas for single hook artificial lures and it is shared with fly fishermen. I have never had a problem there, but I give the fly boys plenty of room. You catch more fish in the anything goes areas but they are smaller fish. Really nice link to Tellico Trout Hatchery... http://twra4streams.homestead.com/tellicohatchery.html

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

And to be perfectly honest I bought a bunch of single hook rooster tails one time and they were just as effective. I caught over 30 fish that day. Yesterday the creek was a little muddy and I caught one Pumpkinseed and a 14" smallmouth. 4 pound test, Shimano 500 series which is really small, and a Field & Stream Sportsman IM6 series ultra-lite rod I just bought this year and am loving.

Who makes these and are they viewable on-line Merwin? Have you tried one? They are much more flexible than most other graphite rods and I can cast on a dime with the one I have.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Does dynamite count as artificial?

from countitandone wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

We have "Trophy Waters" here and are posted this way:

"Single, barbless hook only special trout regulations."

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

I'd prefer the single hook vice treble hook too.
Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity to say something here.

from losername2of2 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from LJRguide wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Pay particular attention to lines e and g

a. Open Season – there is no closed season.
b. Creel Limit (all species of trout) in aggregate – 2 Daily / 2 Possession.
e. A person may fish only with artificial flies and streamers.

from LJRguide wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Wcked,
And my point was.. it would not be deemed FLY FISHING ONLY then.

from WckedMidas wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from kyka1865 wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from TimberHunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 41 weeks ago

Does dynamite count as artificial?