Romano: Avoid Exploding Float Boats

FlyTalk

June 22, 2010

Romano: Avoid Exploding Float Boats

By Tim Romano

Kirk's recently released his Little Red Book Of Fly Fishing. In it there's 250 tips to make you a better trout fisherman. I've learned a lot from Kirk and the book, but I've decided there's plenty of ancillary "tips" out there not covered. Here's a very important one in regards to trailering your inflatable fishing craft in the mountains. I'll probably never accrue enough brainy tips to write a book, but here's one I've seen missed many times as I've cruised by a popped boat on the side of I-70. - TR

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I have to say, I was hoping to see an exploding boat to get my morning jumpstarted.

from flyer22 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I was sort of disappointed that I did not get to see a boat explode!

from flyer22 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I was sort of disappointed that I did not get to see a boat explode!

from MPN wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I'm confused..... Where's the explosion?????

from Joe Demalderis wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Well, like the title said, "Avoid Exploding Float Boats". You certainly avoided it. Would have been more interesting if F&S supplied you with a sacrificial raft...

from countitandone wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Problem: Trailering Inflatable at Altitude
Solution: 8 foot pram fits right in the bed of the truck

I know full well there are those who run inflatables. I
am one, having owned a Snohomish 9 foot pontoon now for
years, as well as a variety of float tubes and yaks.

You can also get the explosion these first few posters
were hoping to see in the video, by leaving your toon out
in the noon day sun, say, 90 degrees. Same ol' same ol'.

TR...very good tip for those out there who forgot to put
on their collective thinking caps! Thanks bud.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

very disappointed! why did you even bother posting a video? very weak post this time!

from JKSMITH wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Good advice - I've hauled an inflatable out of ice cold water, after a 10 minutes in the sun - KaaBoom. The outer nylon layer gets weakened after too many trips over sharp rocks. The sun heats up the tube and bang.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

On popular fly fishing waters in the Summer time there is often a rubber hatch going on..many fly anglers would luv to hear that pop-popping sound! Sun bathers that often will run into an anglers boat not carrying where they are floating...drinking beer and out of control..beer bottles and debris end up in the river...I gave an angler a ride across river one time after some of them grabbed his pontoon boat along the river, and took it to the other bank. I had a Game Warden friend who would float along like he was one of them, and then write out litter tickets that were not cheap.

from dukkillr wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Um, yeah, that was a total letdown. Kept watching the boring vid, waiting for the POP! and it never happened. Nice going.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

duk, It is a fly fishing training video...an exercise in concentration. Remember how when you turned your head away to gawk at something the fish took you fly? This is training you to not do that. :)

from dukkillr wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Via that logic, Sayfu, I suggest that we have a boring vid EVERY Tuesday! We'll call it "FlyTalk's Exercises in Concentration"...

from flyer22 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I was sort of disappointed that I did not get to see a boat explode!

from s-kfry wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

from MPN wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I'm confused..... Where's the explosion?????

from jamesti wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

from flyer22 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

I was sort of disappointed that I did not get to see a boat explode!

from Joe Demalderis wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Problem: Trailering Inflatable at Altitude
Solution: 8 foot pram fits right in the bed of the truck

I know full well there are those who run inflatables. I
am one, having owned a Snohomish 9 foot pontoon now for
years, as well as a variety of float tubes and yaks.

You can also get the explosion these first few posters
were hoping to see in the video, by leaving your toon out
in the noon day sun, say, 90 degrees. Same ol' same ol'.

TR...very good tip for those out there who forgot to put
on their collective thinking caps! Thanks bud.

from JKSMITH wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago