Cermele: Bare Hands and Urine, a.k.a. How Bear Grylls Shark Fishes

The Lateral Line

August 13, 2010

Cermele: Bare Hands and Urine, a.k.a. How Bear Grylls Shark Fishes

By Joe Cermele

Bear Grylls already made our news blog once this week for a camera-related injury. We're not Bear-crazy here or anything, but I just found a video clip from the new season of "Man Vs. Wild" I had to share.

It seems old Bear is trapped in a tropical location and hungry for shark steaks. So he decides to use urine--his favorite and most useful bodily fluid--to attract a seven-footer to the shallows where he plans to...get this...grab it by the tail and fling it onto the beach. I find humor in this on many levels, but on a personal one, I have a buddy who always announces that he's "spicing up the trolling spread" when relieving himself offshore. Maybe there's something to that after all. Click here or on the photo to check out the video. Have a good weekend, and if you're beach-bound, don't pee in the water. - JC

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I watched this last night. I have no doubt Bear was never going to grab the shark and his lunge towards the shark was to scare it away. His show is comical at best.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Agreed. All that commotion screams "please go away and don't bite me."

from MLH wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

A starving man throwing away a delectable sea cucumber. Yeah, right.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

His show and Survivorman are way too hard to watch.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from KingFisher907 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

wow i hate that guy..

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from GERG wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Seems like bear has a death wish. Havent seen much usable information on his show. I guess its so-so entertaining though. I like Les Stroud a lot better. he actually has useful information on his show.

from country road wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I have little use for Bear G. The article on survival shows in the latest issue of F&S was very much to the point.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I grabbed about a 4&1/2footer by the tail in the shore-break when i was much younger and dumber. He did try to bite me as i flung him up on the beach. After a small crowd gathered to check him out, i put him back in the ocean, embarrassed maybe, but unharmed. I was on a surfboard, btw, when i grabbed him.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

He was scared of that shark, I believe I could have done a better job of sneaking up on it.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I think bear shows very dire forms of survival tactics which do happen to a very very small percentage of people. He does it with an accent and some gusto which makes him fun to watch. survivorman tends to complain to much fot me. Your surviving and showing us tips not telling us every feeling and emotion your going threw.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

My opinion of the shows aside (and I like Les), any situation involving me and a 7' shark in handfighting range in shin deep water would undoubtedly involve urine.

from IsaiahB wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

A couple things for one when I was 12-15 I would urinate in the current of the river and spit once supersticious maybe, always caught a fish yes, I never not once did I not catch a fish, And number 2 on my things is Bear is not as great to watch as Les, He may voice how much he hates not eating, but come on if you were lost or something like that I am 100% sure you would be saying the same things but worse, plus it is a 30 min show he has to fill air time with something other then walking and diff camera angles.

from Bella wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Bear G is a nutbar. He does terribly risky things while demonstrating "survival" and he is likely to get parasites from eating raw snails and other offal.
"Dual survival" is another "survival show" where they do silly stuff in the name of "survival training". I watch and guffaw.

from pike slayer wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

It's a load of junk

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

A starving man throwing away a delectable sea cucumber. Yeah, right.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from IsaiahB wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Agreed. All that commotion screams "please go away and don't bite me."

from pike slayer wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

It's a load of junk

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

His show and Survivorman are way too hard to watch.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report