Cermele: One Chance at Off-Limit Water

The Lateral Line

September 22, 2010

Cermele: One Chance at Off-Limit Water

By Joe Cermele

That's my uncle in the photo below holding a fat largemouth he caught two weeks ago in a private pond at a vineyard/country club. No, the next photo in the series is not us getting arrested. Without going into detail as to how, he has managed to get permission to snipe bass from several area golf courses. Really...it's a hassle-free experience. But for the three times a year we hit these private spots together, I drive by 50 that I would kill for permission to fish.

We all have those buddies (I think; maybe a Jersey thing) that love sneaking into places and fishing where they're not supposed to. You know, make five casts, then hide for 20 minutes until the security guards make their rounds. Or catch what you can before a homeowner calls the cops. Me? I'm not into that, because legality aside, I want to relax when I fish, not play out some scene from "The Fugitive." I'm also not limber enough to jump fences.

Many such places, at least where I'm from, center around power plants or are located on government property. There are reservoirs close by that legend says are loaded with trophies. But get caught there and you're greeted with an assault rifle. On a lesser scale, there is a lake I know ringed with houses. I never see anyone fishing it, and though I've studied maps, there is no public access. Maybe one day I'll start knocking on doors, though I doubt I'll get a free pass from anyone.

If you could have one day on an off-limit body of water, where would you choose? - JC

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

the apartment complex down the road. There are 40 lb cats every cast and 12 lb largemouth.....what a spot

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Theres a lake by me that is supper clear you can just see it from the road and the property around it is owned by multiple people. I ve been told there are trout in it and you can see them while in a boat really makes me curious just have to find someone to let me or go fishing with me there.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Cermele, if your ever in Ohio I can take you to a lake/pond that is private and maybe the best large mouth, crappie, and bluegill fishing in the USA! No shiite!(sorry moozlums)I only fish there a handful of times a year so I don't ruin fishing for myself. Check out the two pics I posted on my profile of the 14 1/2" crappie my wife caught and the 10 1/2" bluegill, they both came from the lake and those are allday everyday fish! The bass fishing there is like shooting fish in a bucket!

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

JC ~ There's this lake, pristine in every detail, owned by three families since the 1830's. Situated at 8,911ft elevation, you'll see glimses of it from SR 431 on the way downhill to Lake Tahoe from Reno, NV. These fish have never seen a hand-tied fly.

How do I know this? I know one of the owner/families. Do you think I'd ever get the chance to fish it? Nope. Surface acres of this jewel is about 20 acres. Crystal Blue surrounded by tall mountain pines, maples and oak trees. I've seen bear and deer. And fish gulping mayflies off surface at each hatch and damsels in the afternoon to evening.

I'm too old to marry into any of the three families who, by the way, have available daughters. Interested? Who wouldn't be? As Jimi used to say, "dream on..."

from rdorman wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

i can think of a few, but the one that really stands out is an amish pond...used to be able to fish it, a lot a big bass, then somebody ruined it for all of us...not sure what they did, but no more fishing...

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The only golf course pond i ever snuck onto had a bluegill/largemouth crossbreed...caught two or three of them in as many casts before i was escorted off the premises by some guy that worked at the clubhouse.

from baconboy206 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

as somebody who owns private water i can say that politely asking will usually get you access, you sneak in and trespass you are never coming back at least on my land,dont litter, close the gates and release most of what you catch and most land owners including me will let you fish their water.

from erik450 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

There is this pond in this landfill where i work at. I'm the only one who fishes it (other than my friends i will occasionally sneek into it) but I have caught several crappies that are over 15 inches 2 pounds (both are in the freezer to be mounted) and several largemouth bass over 5 pounds. People aren't supposed to fish it but since I'm security at the plant were i work i kind of slip though the cracks and don't get noticed.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

A few years ago, I was going bird hunting in a wildlife refuge, (unnamed western state) and at the last moment thought to put a takedown spinning rod in my pack. Well, I knew that this refuge was off-limits to people 11 1/2 months of the year. And the previous year, I'd seen a large trout. It worked. I did very, very well that day -- two browns over 10#. Since then, I've fished sawmill ponds during labor strikes, one other refuge, and a hatchery stilling basin that was opened, "first time ever". All very good stuff.

from HCampbell601 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I always enjoy fishing the golf course ponds behind my house. When ever a golf official comes up to, I say I am a member of the club house. Works everytime! :D not to mention that they are all loaded with nice bass!

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Back in high school I was on the golf team, and I would always carry a little cheap collapsable rod and reel in my golf bag and always fish holes 7-9. These were always loaded with bass and bream, and playing in the springtime they were usually on the beds. I never had any issues from the club as I was a member. I would love to fish this one pond by the JDB industreis in Savananah. Looks perfect as it has grass beds, an island in the middle, and no one ever fishing at it!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

i used to fish a little pond in mississippi that was controled by the people who lived around it. one of the homeowners told me i could access it through his yard. i caught double digit bass for two summers and never saw another person on that pond. i was in heaven until i moved.
count, introduce me to one of those daughters!

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

James, Colorado kicks arse! We just don't have the DD buckets.

from QDMGuy wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

I'd love to fish at Augusta National, one of the most beautiful man-made places in the country! Either there, or around one of the southern coastal nuclear facilities. You'd either catch some monster fish or something mutant!

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

Golf course impoundments are hidden jewels but I always ask the head pro for permission and tell him that I am a catch-and-release angler. If the main objection is one of course liablity, I offer to pay the usual green fees and that settles that issue.

Countitandone--I just returned from the Reno/Tahoe area and saw a sign in a pasture south of Virginia City that read, "If you can read this, you're in range".

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from baconboy206 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

count, introduce me to one of those daughters!

from QDMGuy wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from erik450 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from HCampbell601 wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago

James, Colorado kicks arse! We just don't have the DD buckets.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 29 weeks ago