Cermele: Remember That Goldfish You Flushed?

The Lateral Line

September 15, 2010

Cermele: Remember That Goldfish You Flushed?

By Joe Cermele

Well, he didn't die and he's really, really upset with you. In fact, he was just biding his time, packing on pounds and waiting for you to wade into the local lake near the sewage plant. His goal was to make you wade out with a few less toes or maybe minus a foot. But lucky for you, he's been caught, so breathe easy.

Actually, this is the real story...

What we have here is the largest orange koi carp--very close kin to the fish in the little bowls at the fairgrounds--ever caught. The beast weighs 30 pounds, and fell to the world's largest fish food flake rigged on a 16/0 circle hook. Kidding about the bait, but it did give angler Raphael Biagini one heck of a tussle in a lake over in France. Here's the full story from the UK Daily Mail.

According to the story, other anglers had spent six years trying to hook this fish. It was somewhat of a legend. Fortunately, they'll have a chance as it was released. Now if you saw this thing swimming in your local lake, would you want to catch it for kicks? Or do you let it swim by? - JC

from derik wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

If that thing was in any waters by me I'd probably catch it and either send it to an aquarium or kill it. I don't have a soft spot for invasive fish species.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

i'd love to hook into that thing. i would let it go though.

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Never caught one that big but i did catch a couple bout 12" long at a near by pond/lake. Seen em spawning a couple years. But now I think the lake is to trashy for bout any fish besides bullhead.

from Duckman1984 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

That is a pretty huge gold fish! I dont think that I have a bowl big enough for this one, so I would send it to an aquarium. If that thing came swimming by me, Jesus won't be the only man who walked on water!

from jlyon.24 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I would like to shoot it with my carp bow. Nice bright color can see it in the water easy and its huge body makes for a large target.

from VAHunter540 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I would want to catch it for sure, take lots of pictures and get measurements, release it back and then get a replica mount. HAHA imagine that over your fireplace, what a fish story to tell!

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Shouldn't call yourself a fisherman if you wouldn't make an offering to that. I don't want to see any elegant solution involving a fly rod either. A cue stick like pole with a big weight and a gnarly ball of night crawlers would be the perfect touch to add just the right amount of class to the picture.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Cermele: you're just being koi with us. Sunburnt sucker.
I'd fish for it just for fun. 16/0 hook and a weiner tthat's been left in the sun for a week.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I wonder if he released it by flushing it down the toilet?

from country road wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Buckhunter----That would make any toilet I've ever seen gag and throw up.

I think it'd be great to catch that one or one like him. Nobody said whether they're any good to eat. It'd make a heck of a fish sandwich.

from country road wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Brian W Thair----Grroooaan! "Being koi with us." Wish I'd thought of it first.

from erik450 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Thats the biggest goldfish/koi i have ever seen. Imagine having a pond in your backyard with that beast swimming around in it.

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

this was on yahoo last week.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I try to catch it and get it out of the what ever body of water it was polluting.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

It should be a national treasure but then again it is France.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I'd order a custom made huge goldfish bowl, put it in there and sell ticket. Then maybe I could some of the Petzal's pets, rifles that is!!

from rdorman wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

i'd def want to catch it...not sure if i keep it or not...no way i would want to eat it...

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Geeze Louise, kill it, can it and feed it to the local cats. I'm sure that lake is just as polluted as the tap water in Paris.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The title caught me,"Remember That Goldfish You
Flushed?"

When I was a very young lad I had such a goldfish that I admired everyday until he developed ichthyophthirius multifilis. I couldn't believe he was going down for the count.

I wanted to bury him but my mom had other ideas. She took the bowl and goldfish to the bathroom and flushed my friend down the toliet. I asked her what she was doing!

Her reply, " He's going to heaven."
Many of my youthful years was spent thinking the doorway to heaven was in my bathroom.

from Daniel Allison wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

It sure looks fake to me. Holding up a live thirty pound fish with one hand is a neat trick.

from eagleboy19 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I think that was my goldfish that I flushed down the toilet a few days ago.

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

When I was growing up we had a small lake in the center of town that was stocked with trout for the anual children's fishing contest. My friends and I used to fish it year round. In addition to the stocked fish it also had all the local natives, bluegill, yellow perch, crappie, bass, bullheads, and carp. There were also MANY realeased goldfish, most of which became food for the larger fish. However, some of these goldfish did manage to survive and get to a really good size. I personally have seen them in the 10-15 lb range. Never one this big though. Would I make a cast for him, oh yeah.

from fishwhisperer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I catch and keep it in my Goldfish pond for a pet.

from seadog wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

If you think the goldfish is big, you should see the size of the ping pong ball he used to catch it at the church carnival.

from bigfishguy wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

i would try to catch it, and probably release it. hopefully there are not many more in the wild invading our lakes and rivers.

from Walleye wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I would catch it and get a replica mount. I can just see the look on the taxidermists face. I'd tell him it was my beloved goldfish that i got years ago,and it didn't fit down the toilet

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

Can you imagine the size of the goldfish flakes that buggar would eat! It would be like throwing frisbees to it!

from Bass2Buck wrote 3 years 27 weeks ago

wHAT A BEAST

from steelhead08 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Mutated, invasive, habitat-eraser! It would have lasted @ 30sec.'s around me post landing...

from derik wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

I wonder if he released it by flushing it down the toilet?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

i'd love to hook into that thing. i would let it go though.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

The title caught me,"Remember That Goldfish You
Flushed?"

Her reply, " He's going to heaven."

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from Duckman1984 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from jlyon.24 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Cermele: you're just being koi with us. Sunburnt sucker.

from country road wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Buckhunter----That would make any toilet I've ever seen gag and throw up.

from country road wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Brian W Thair----Grroooaan! "Being koi with us." Wish I'd thought of it first.

from erik450 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from pbshooter1217 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

this was on yahoo last week.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

It should be a national treasure but then again it is France.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from Daniel Allison wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from eagleboy19 wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I think that was my goldfish that I flushed down the toilet a few days ago.

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

from fishwhisperer wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago

I catch and keep it in my Goldfish pond for a pet.

from seadog wrote 3 years 30 weeks ago