If the House is Ruined, You Might as well Fish

The Lateral Line

November 10, 2010

If the House is Ruined, You Might as well Fish

By Joe Cermele

Check out the video below from a recent CNN broadcast in the Seattle area. Apparently, heavy rains caused a creek to severely overflow, and the dog in the video is having a blast chasing salmon down the street. Now the dog is cute and all, but this video raises a bigger question. Let's say you were the unfortunate victim of a terrible flood. You've done everything you can do to minimize damage to the house. I don't know about you, but rather than sit around, or while waiting for help, I'd be casting a streamer on the lawn if salmon were plowing across it.

I actually just read a good book about a Hurricane Katrina survivor that rode out the storm in New Orleans. He said when the waters rose, there were bull redfish swimming up the street. Am I the only one that faced with this situation might still consider grabbing a rod? - Cermele

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I'd be making lemonade bro.....but I'm sure I'd be getting the look from my better half.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

During the flood of 08' in Iowa, I was going to go bowfishing if my house didn't get flooded. There were a lot of big carp swimming around on some of the streets. I didn't get to go bowfishing.

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I don't know that an insurance adjuster would be too happy if you invite him in for a fish fry after your house just flooded.
"Where'd you catch that?"
"From the basement...want some?"

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

life gives you lemons make lemonade then find someone who life gave vodka and have a party... In this case life gives you fish and water in basement or yard fish said yard/basement with a vodka and lemenade on hand if life is feeling generious...

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I lived in WA ST. and that probably happened on the Olypic Penninsula...happens about every year. I'd bet on a small river that goes into Puget Sound near Bremerton, WA..the Dosewallups maybe. Not much interested in fishing for those, but couldn't wait for the rains to subside, and the rivers to drop back into shape.

from rjw wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

No question about it, I would jump at the chance.

from baconboy206 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

thats probably the skokomish river, happens several times a year after massive logging operations on the surounding mountains sides destroyed the systems ability to handle runoff. Btw its illegal for that dog to pick up the salmon in washington state, its considered harassing the fish and carry's a hefty fine

from jamesti wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

like bacon said, that is illegal almost anywhere. but yeah, i would get the rod out. you have to defend yourself when the salmon invade! where was this taken?

from jeffisutherland wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

I would definately be fishing if it was one of the smaller creeks that overflowed. However, where I live in Winnipeg, Canada, we have two main rivers the Red River and Assiniboine River that are not safe to eat fish from. The city sewage system overflows on average seventeen times per year into the river.

from masterofmeander wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Illegal, true, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances.

I live in WA, and have noticed that when chums hit the street they routinely fail to signal turns, yield, or swim anywhere the near the speed limit. As for making complete stops, man, you'd think they were all from California. So, while I don't like to generalize, I have to say that many road salmon are a hazard to pedestrians.

For that reason "a friend of mine" catches as many as he can. He does return them to the river, however, "cause even coated in all that oil, they just don't fry up too good." But then, he's always been a fussy one.

from JustSaying wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

baconboy206: It is illegal because the dog is fishing without a license!

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

"Where'd you catch that?"
"From the basement...want some?"

from baconboy206 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from jeffisutherland wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from JustSaying wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

baconboy206: It is illegal because the dog is fishing without a license!

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

from rjw wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

No question about it, I would jump at the chance.

from masterofmeander wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

Illegal, true, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances.