Muskies 1, Me...Cold, Wet, and Frustrated

The Lateral Line

November 30, 2010

Muskies 1, Me...Cold, Wet, and Frustrated

By Joe Cermele

Two weeks ago I told you I was headed out to shoot a muskie episode of "Hook Shots." I went with Mark Wizeman, a long-time friend and fishing partner, to the Niagara River in Upstate New York. Well, there is no need to give you a ten-minute "Hook Shots" episode when the one-minute video below sums up the trip.

There are some folks I need to thank, starting with Captain Ted Kessler, who I know would not have endured such miserable conditions for two days for any other customers. I'd like to thank Cabela's for making their Guiderwear X300 rain gear, which I'm now convinced is the best around. And finally, I'd like to thank Aquapac for making such fine waterproof camera cases, without which I would not have even gotten this minute of footage to show you.

So feel free to have a laugh, console me, say "I told you so" or "hey, that's muskie fishing." If anyone wants to send a sympathy card, I can supply the address. One day I'll have my revenge. How many of you have "been there" with muskies?

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Should have tries trolling road kill Squirrel....whole.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Muskie fisherman are like trophy buck hunters, coming home empty handed is the norm.

As much as I hate to admit it, I winterized my boat today. I was hoping to get in some late season muskie action but alas, I have too much work around the house to do. I still have the kayak at the ready.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

As strange as this might sound, that actually looked like a blast. Except for the part where one broke off. Now you have an excuse to go back again!

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

In fairness, all fishing is fun to me. We did have a blast. And in truth, we never lost hope, even after that slob tore loose.

from elkslayer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

That was the best best fishing video that I have ever seen.
Completely captures how you must have felt. A couple yrs ago I went on a trip where it rained all day every day and the canoe holding my gear sank on the way in. It was three days of sleeping in a wet bag on a wet pad in wet clothes, the only difference is that we were fortunate to catch enough fish to keep the excitement up.

from Dances with Deer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Ouch, tough conditions ... I would suggest giving Green Bay, Wisc., a try sometime ... it's unreal!

from Lawrence McDermott wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

I once hooked a large muskie on the last day the water was open before freezing up.
My friend Ray and I had fished for 3 straight days without a hit. it was 22 degrees and a Northwest wind @ 15MPH. I hooked this fish using a 22" sucker and had him on for 10 minutes before she rolled on the line and broke free. I had to garage my boat to thaw out the snow and ice which had formed on the entire rig. We"ve taken 50" plus fish in my Ranger before and this fish, the only one we hooked for the trip was well above the biggest we had boated. We reset our rigs and fished another 4 hours with no luck. And that my friends is Muskie fishing..... a lot like life....sometimes you win, and most times you lose.... but you never give up !

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Should have tries trolling road kill Squirrel....whole.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

That was the best best fishing video that I have ever seen.

from Dances with Deer wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago