SI Swimsuit Model Bruna Schmitz Goes "Fly Fishing"

FlyTalk

February 17, 2011

SI Swimsuit Model Bruna Schmitz Goes "Fly Fishing"

By Kirk Deeter

Okay, this one is going to put you in one of two camps:

1. You volunteer right now to give SI swimsuit model Bruna Schmitz some personal fly fishing/casting lessons, free of charge, because you know the world needs more anglers like her.

2. You feel like puking, because you've seen too many ads, photos, and magazine layouts where the creative director obviously knows less about fly fishing than they know about quantum physics.

Bonus question: After watching this video, how long do you think it would take the beautiful young Ms. Schmitz to catch a trout on a dry fly, assuming she had Lefty Kreh coaching at her side?

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

God love ya, Kirk Deeter. God love ya.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'm for sure not a 1, but not quite a 2. She could fish the hole next to mine all day and I wouldn't mind. But I wouldn't want her to be an ambassador to the sport. Bonus: She would never catch a fish, Lefty would keel over from a racing heart and low blood pressure, rendering her in a non-fishing state.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

If they're going to show a swimsuit model (supposedly an athlete, too) fly fishing, I wish they'd at least use a competent fly fisher woman. Hey, SI should pay April Vokey to model a suit and show them the right way to fly fish! Or, get Dr Julie Ball on board!

from ckRich wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Uhhh yeah... uhh... Amen.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'd make a joke about helping a swimsuit model holding a rod, but I feel that it is in bad taste.

from Moldychum wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

She'll catch a trout a a lot quicker than you'll surf a beach break. She also happens to be one of the world's top ranked pro surfers.

from Moldychum wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

She'll catch a trout a lot quicker than you'll surf a beach break. She also happens to be one of the world's top ranked pro surfers.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

i'm in camp one. at least if the fishing is slow, it will still be good. like buckhunter said, God love ya, deeter.

from MLH wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Hip waders just look better on women.

If she was fishing for sharks she would catch one on the first cast ... oh, sorry, that would be land sharks. She sure doesn't need Lefty Kreh to learn to do that.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Teaching her how to do it right would be a challenge but I enjoy a good challenge. Why would you want to give Lefty a heart attack for anyhow?

from Jacee wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

My favorite part? She was wearing heels while "trying" to fish in her bikini. Gosh, I got the vest, waders, rod and reel, but forgot my camo stilettos. Better dust those off before spring fishin'...

from amanda switzer wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Its like a oiled up, hairless naked guy only in a fireman's jacket, posing for a woman's calendar. It sells!
At the end of the day, I do not want a half naked model to show up at my blazing house to rescue my family, there is a time and a place for everything. The point is, she is not trying to be a fly fisherwoman, she is just getting her job done.

from 007 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I am definately fishing the wrong waters............

from hal herring wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks to Moldychum for the link to youtube.

That surfing video is incredible. I'd never heard of Bruna Schmitz, but she's one incredible athlete.

My guess is that if she wants to learn to fly fish, that is what she'll do. I'm glad she's real beautiful and all that, too.

from Big Mike wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

So this woman is ragingly hot, a pro surfer, obviously enjoys the mountains and rivers, and has a generally fantastic attitude. If you have a problem with her fly fishing inexperience, you are either 1) a stiff old elitist or 2) a homosexual or 3)both!

from tunadave wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I first watched the fly fishing video. THEN I watched the surfing video. Tell you what; I can probably fly fish better than her, but I'll never even be close to her skill level on a surfboard. My hat's off to her. One gifted athlete!

from Ruckweiler wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

While decidedly pretty, I wonder if she could pour water out of a boot with the directions on the heel?

from j-johnson17 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

The answer to the bonus question: WHO CARES HOW LONG IT TAKES???? I mean really...

from Armchair Mike wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I am for it, I say. I am for it.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

God love ya, Kirk Deeter. God love ya.

from Moldychum wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Moldychum wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from amanda switzer wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Hip waders just look better on women.

from Jacee wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I am definately fishing the wrong waters............

from hal herring wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks to Moldychum for the link to youtube.

from Big Mike wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Uhhh yeah... uhh... Amen.

from tunadave wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from j-johnson17 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I am for it, I say. I am for it.