Surprise! You're Swimming in a Blood Cloud with a Huge Shark

The Lateral Line

February 17, 2011

Surprise! You're Swimming in a Blood Cloud with a Huge Shark

By Joe Cermele

Pretend you're a pro photographer filming a marlin's release from underwater. You've done this many times and everything is going smoothly. Then, out of nowhere, a monster mako shark shoots up from below you and tears up the marlin. Blood starts clouding the area. Do you a) freeze up, b) swim away, or c) keep shooting? Well, this happened to Australian photographer Al McGlashan, and he went with choice C. It was gutsy, but he scored some amazing and rare shots. Check out the video below and then click here to see a gallery of the still photos Al was taking and get an even better idea of what was going through his head when old snaggle-tooth showed up. By the way, this is a U.S. exclusive, so you saw it here first. If it had been me in this situation, there would have been more than fish blood in the water.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Sweet footage!

from cTXn wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Guess that ruined the example of how to properly release a marlin they were trying to shoot.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Looks like he was lucky that he backed off when he did. Awesome footage tho.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Guess he's pretty lucky the shark had bigger fish to fry...

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

That would have scared the bjesus out of me! The guy scrambled aboard pretty quick once he got to the boat.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

You would have found me on the ocean floor curled in the fetal position.

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Yea- I would have been out of that water before the shark knew I was in it. Cool footage, though.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I guess you don't have to sell shark on catch and release, but Rapala certainly could make a buck off selling XXLG shark lures made from recycled Marlin Mounts.

from shane wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Buck, sinking implies that you're in pretty good shape.

I would have added to the chum for sure.

When you mix sh!t and fart both verbally and physically you get shart. So what happens/what new word do you get when you add shark to the mix?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

guess it's best to just release the fish so it has a chance.

from murdock32 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'll stay in the boat...........

from Ed83 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Nice work guys! You certainly made sure the marlin sure didn't have a chance! Jeez....don't know why it took so long to release the damn marlin...

from a1brainiac123 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

If I was the videographer.....there would have been brown stuff floating in the water along with the blood..I would have got back on that boat so fast I would have been a blur...awesome video though of an apex predator at work !

from ajg wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Speaks volumes to the intelligence of the shark. With the cameraman in the water, the boat and the activity, that shark was able to pinpoint the "meal". Apex predator for sure.

from tnangler wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Great video footage. Nature at her best.. Glad the cameraman got out OK.. When filming in nature, anything can happen..

from ACSLADR wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

probably would have been a very large p*ss cloud had i been in the water as well!!! great footage!

from rik680 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

From what I have read I may have a different perspective . If this is supposed to be a "text book release" , got news for you field and stream you got it all wrong . And I must say have graduated to moron as far as I am concerned . Its a little funny that the crew knew the Mako was stalking the shoot. But still brought the fish to the boat and held it long enough for the Mako to make a move on it . Whats the point Field and Stream , trying to get some cheap publicity at the cost of a endangered striped Marlin .
Congratulations Field and Stream for actually sensationalizing a very tragic story , Morons !

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kinzuakid13 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'd have got in the boast, then died of a massive heart attack. Sharks strike fear in me. Want to catch one, but still scare me shitless.

from BubbaK wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

@Rik680 - read the article and listen to the video. This wasn't F&S' project, it was the film-makers'. They were the ones that described it as textbook. F&S was merely showing some amazing footage these guys happened to capture. The film crew also said that they had the mako on sonar, but thought it was another marlin. I think the evidence that they didn't know it was a mako lies in the fact the cameraman was in the water to begin with. Why not just enjoy the amazing photos and film instead of calling names?

Besides, as the saying goes, takes one to know one.

from justfacts wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Although these photos and video are exciting (and sell ad space), the bottom line is this is the waste of a good marlin. When catch and release takes too long due to filming/photos, then it is more like chumming -- a struggling fish always attracts sharks. And to title the page "bites off tail of Marlin" tends to cover up the fact that the marlin was destroyed, it's dead, and did not live to get bigger and be caught again by other anglers. Seems to me to be about as natural and film-worthy as a deer being hit by a car.

from ChandlerV1997 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

That's cool, but CRAZY

from kh060 wrote 1 year 44 weeks ago

Does anyone know if the marlin had not been on the line, would the shark have had the chance to even catch the marlin and eat it?

from cTXn wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from tnangler wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from a1brainiac123 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from BubbaK wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Besides, as the saying goes, takes one to know one.

from Koldkut wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Sweet footage!

from ckRich wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Looks like he was lucky that he backed off when he did. Awesome footage tho.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Guess he's pretty lucky the shark had bigger fish to fry...

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

You would have found me on the ocean floor curled in the fetal position.

from Blue Ox wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

Buck, sinking implies that you're in pretty good shape.

I would have added to the chum for sure.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

guess it's best to just release the fish so it has a chance.

from murdock32 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago

I'll stay in the boat...........

from Ed83 wrote 3 years 8 weeks ago