I'm Sorry, Is My Nose in the Air?

FlyTalk

March 24, 2009

I'm Sorry, Is My Nose in the Air?

By Kirk Deeter

Because I love flyfishing, more than any other fishing?  Or I wear a Simms hat?

After all, I also like to fish with baitcasters, and spinning gear.  I like trolling too.  But I find the technical challenges of casting and presenting flies most fun.  And I'll cast a fly at just about anything: smallies, largemouths, pike, carp... but I've never called that brownlining.  Just fishing.  I live in Colorado because I like trout fishing best.

I have a lot of gear.  Some expensive stuff, some not.  I see fish better with $150 sunglasses than I do with $30 sunglasses.  One pair of $150 boots lasts longer for me than three pairs of $60 boots... I've learned that math the hard way.  I tie my own crappy flies, and I don't own a bamboo rod.

I appreciate the artistry of David Allan Coe as much or more than that of David Allen Sibley.

I think companies that perpetuate the "exclusivity" of flyfishing are strangling the sport and kidding themselves.  Nothing disgusts me more than a gimp with money who hangs "no trespassing" signs around a river they cannot fish.

I release 99 percent of the fish I catch.  That's mostly because I like to eat chiken and beef more than fish.  I do think meat fishing for stockers is boring.

My secret agenda with this blog in Field & Stream land is to convert the bass nation, one angler at a time, to flyfishing.  I think there's room on the water for everyone.  I've had enough of the "us and them" argument.  I will say this though: I don't think anyone is a complete angler until they do cross over... conventional to fly, and yes indeed, fly to conventional.  What say you?

And tell me... is my nose in the air?  If it is, it's only because I smell a rotten attitude.

Deeter

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I think it's always good to see how the other half lives. If you usually drag king mackerel jigs on wire leaders, try tying some files and catching some trout. If you sneer at anything other than dry fly fishing, get you a sixer of Natty Light and go jug fishing for blue cats. Life is too short for limitations.

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Amen to all that. I think you should do my post on Thursday.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Nah, your nose ain't in the air at all Deeter. I'm not your flyfishing purist either.My go to rod is a old Browning graffite 9 footer that I found on sale one day, which I mainly use for gills and speckled bass. Nothing funner than gills on the beds with a tiny yellow popper. I also break out a couple of old, old, old telescoping steel flyrods my grandad use to use for trout in the 1950's. They're heavy buggers and take some getting used to but what a blast to catch something on a rod thats almost 60 years old. Its amazing how good their action and feel are. If you haven't checked it out yet "Live at Billy Bobs" is a really good D.A.C. album. I tie my own flies too, my dad who has one arm used to tie the nicest flies you've ever seen. He used to tie this fly with a white hackle and tail with a bright red body that was just killer on specks. So I guess if some think your nose is in the air then I'm right there with ya. Happy fishing.

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I don't know you personally, but just because you fly fish? nah. Now, if you were preaching about how it's the "only real way to fish", then maybe. I've never gotten that vibe from the writers of this blog.. but we all know those guys are out there.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Armchair raises a good point. I'd be happy to try juggin' for cats, but Natty Ice? Please. The only beer I drink on the water is Kellerweis Hefeweizen with a fresh orange twist. I wouldn't be caught dead with a Natty :)

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1, Armchair has a great point.
2, I don't think Deeter is a "High nose" he gets free gear, and he uses the stuff he buys a lot, so it has to last, for me its like, buy what I can afford and hope it lasts, and it has for now. Thats how I want it.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I believe that fly fishing is to fishing what archery is to hunting. It takes a lot more skill for each. I do nto know what it is, maybe because it is harder, but I have much more respect for the bow hunters and fly fishermen than others.... and I dont even fly fish. (I did start to get into bowhunting though)

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I definitely have a well rounded approach to fishing especially since I this my second year of living where the water is salty. I will say you get strange looks when you have a baitcaster rigged with zara-spook, spinning reel with gulp on jig head, and flyrod all on your casting deck. Until it gets warmer or I learn this place better I use conventional tackle to search for fish and once located I switch to flyrod. Only took a couple days of heaving the 8wt blindly into the dark water to figure that one out.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Well ... ya ain't always preaching to the choir. I'm a recent convert,and I'm going to have to save my tithe, to be able to afford the $150 for the shades.
I do enjoy David Allan Coe, by the way who is the other David Allen? Oh never mind, he's probably in the choir ...

Heavens no, your nose ain't in the air, you're just high strung, like those passionate types.
But, I did hear once that men are like fish, "once they open their mouth, that's when they get into trouble!"

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Joe, the idea is to not get caught with the Natty. That can get you a ticket depending on where you fish. I'm glad y'all liked my comment. Join me on the dark side. We have Natty Light . . . and stinkbait.

from elkslayer wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get bowhunters to write a similar post

from idahooutdoors wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

We have a lot of issues with "upitty" flyfisherman in this area. It's not that the locals don't like flyfisherman, most of the locals own a couple fly rods as well, they just get tired of the attitude presented by some of the fly guys. When your fishing a hole say for steelhead with a bobber and jig or bottom bouncing and some guy wades out in your hole and blocks your drift you can see where the problem arises from here. If you respect other fishermen and don't act holy'er than thou art, then a fisherman of any gear will have no problems. There are rude fishermen in any camp, why the fly guys are singled out more I don't know, but pulling up blasting a little of Mr. Coe's poetry might gain you a little extra cred with the locals in these parts.

from rjw wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Clinched eye brows behind $150 sunglasses, lives in Colorado and is NOT a purist? Deeter, you are just misunderstood! So tell us what is really on your mind? Bass anglers, snooty land owners, narrow minded companies, stocked trout, talk to me Deet as I also love to catch any kind of fish, regardless! I’m with you on the cross-over, but hey I’m open minded. No apologies here.

from shane wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

It's the same way with bowhunting for me. It's what I prefer. I enjoy the greater challenge more. But don't think for a second that I won't blast hogs in the swamp, splatter woodchucks, or go on a deer drive. It's all good to me.

I'm in agreement on the expensive gear too. I can't always afford it, but in most cases, you can't afford not to buy it. It saves you money in the long run. That's practical and smart, not snobby.

About Bass Nation - It's boring, and at the same time, I love to fish for bass. I fish for bass all the time. I don't specifically target bass, I don't use "bass techniques", I just fish, and happen to catch bass. I'm usually hoping for more variety, though. I have a thing for giant pickerel. I just don't get the obsession with bass. I like to fish, in general. Bass are just one of the species I catch. The majority, in most cases. I just can't get all worked up over the same fish I catch most of the time. I enjoy every minute of catching bass, but I'd pass up big largemouths for a larger variety any day.

You know what could make us all happy? Bass fishing on a fly rod. The most fun I've ever had catching bass was on some very old little popper flies my grandfather made. Then we could go out to Yellowstone Lake and catch cutthroats like bass.

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I used to fish a small lake in Tennessee that was full of undersized bass and bluegill. I called it, "The Home of the Quarter Pounder." The long rod with some poppers was perfect there.

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Excellent,and well thought out Deeter. I believe the phrase," Dont knock it until you try it" is an appropriate phrase here.

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Right on... you you guys are making me feel all misty-eyed and such.

I think we need to lobby the editors really hard for a bass on poppers story... you can be the photo models.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I think now a days the bass guys are dropping just as much coin as the fly guys. I've got more in my bass boat than I do all my fly rods combined. (It's close).

Fly fishing is not as easily understood as the cast and crank bassers. People tend to a wrong opinion of things they do not understand.

Lastly, some of us fish $750 T&T rods and still drink Natty Lights.

I think the cross over is easier from fly to baitcast since it's an easier method and bass , at least in this area, are much more abundent.

from Koldkut wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

No, your not a high-noser, you're just the media face that represents all things fly for Field and Stream, so when some snooty a--Wipe puts a bad taste in someone else mouth for being an elitist, they see you and just figure your the same. How bout setting up a fly-only bass tourney in CO there Deet?

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Not sure if your nose is in the air but what's that on your chin?

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Nothing disgusts me more than a gimp with money who hangs "no trespassing" signs around a river they cannot fish?

Can I relate to that!

I even had BOZO’s come up to me on Forest Property especially on my property down in Page Oklahoma to have the stupidity to say I’m on private property.

Let me introduce myself “BUD”!!

And when I do come across a land owner I just say sorry Sir, I’ve been federally incarcerated for the past 20 years and a lot has changed hasn’t it? Talk about making someone back up when I’m standing there all apologetic and armed to the teeth! OK-OK so I was in the Military for 20, so what’s the difference :)

To answer your question, Is your Nose in the Air?

Not at all Mr. Deeter!

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I think everyone that enjoys fishing should try fly fishing. I fish with every possible piece of tackle and every method that is out there, but I always come back to fly fishing. I tie my own flies as well, and there isn't much that compares to catching fish on something that you have "made" - especially the first one. I also invite anyone to try fly fishing, and I hope they will enjoy it as much as I do. On that note, there are a few jackasses out there that tote around $2000 worth of gear on the stream and think they own it - if you are one of those guys, I wish you would take up a different aspect of fishing so you quit giving fly fishermen a bad name!

from hickboy518 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

its about catching fish thats all man

from kyka1865 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

I agree completely, I am a decent flyfisherman who in the absence of pike, trout, or any other more exciting fish has really taken to carp fishing, though I usually focus on small mouth bass. Unfortunatley I do not count myself as a well educated spin fisherman, it just never did the same thing for me that fly fishing does.
Also Deeter, I wanted to say that I read several of your articles in "Angling Trade" mag. They were great and really hit home.

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the kudos on Angling Trade. Anyone who wants to get an inside look at the industry can read issues of Angling Trade at www.anglingtrade.com

from chuckles wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

It doesn't sound like you have a snooty attitude to me. You are correct about the attitude of some "purists". It can be pretty tedious listening to endless discussions about entymology when you just want to fish or drink beer in peace. Get over yourself and tie on a Stimulator or go fish a midge hatch in the dead of winter where you won't bother anyone!
My personal philosophy is any fish, any way, anywhere, any time. I spent ten years in the Roaring Fork Valley and fly fishing was the predominant method I used. Trout are OK, especially if they have some size to 'em, but I still think that of all the fish I have tried for on a fly rod, carp are the most fun. The ponds around Fort Collins hold some bruisers. It really is fun to see that backing! One great way to enjoy the best of both worlds is to hike into a high mountain lake with a fly rod and a worm whipper. Fish the lake for the big boys all day and then hit the pools in the outlet stream on the way to camp with the red wigglers. Those little brookies cook up so nicely wrapped in tinfoil in the coals.
Bass and northerns are a hoot too. Now that I live in the Midwest I don't break out the fly gear nearly as much. The wind blows so much down here on the flats and I got tired of wearing big streamers as earrings. I mostly use my 5 weight to catch panfish during the heat of the day when the bass and nordies are harder to find. Good luck on your efforts to convert the Bass Nation; your best argument might be that all fish are fun, but they are more fun on a fly rod.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get rifle hunters to switch to bowhunting.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get rifle hunters to switch to bowhunting.

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Amen to all that. I think you should do my post on Thursday.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

1, Armchair has a great point.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get bowhunters to write a similar post

from idahooutdoors wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from rjw wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from shane wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Mattsouthwood7 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Right on... you you guys are making me feel all misty-eyed and such.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Lastly, some of us fish $750 T&T rods and still drink Natty Lights.

from Koldkut wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Not sure if your nose is in the air but what's that on your chin?

from j-johnson17 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from hickboy518 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

its about catching fish thats all man

from kyka1865 wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from chuckles wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from kolbster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get rifle hunters to switch to bowhunting.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

now if we could only get rifle hunters to switch to bowhunting.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Can I relate to that!

Let me introduce myself “BUD”!!

To answer your question, Is your Nose in the Air?

Not at all Mr. Deeter!