Do You Care If Fish Feel Pain?

FlyTalk

September 22, 2009

Do You Care If Fish Feel Pain?

By Kirk Deeter

This just in, courtesy of my friend John Kirk.  A recent study apparently suggests that fish might indeed sense pain.

I know, I know... It's not really a breaking news item.  After all, PETA and others have been on the "don't hurt the sea kittens" soap box for years.

My question is simple:  If indeed science proves that fish can sense pain (and, by the way, what a useful and important thing to focus research efforts on... not like we'd rather see a cure for Alzheimer's, etc...), do you even care?  Are you in the least bit inclined to hang up the rod?  Or are you content knowing that the next time someone suggests you "sore-lip" a few trout, you might be doing exactly that?

Deeter

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I've got friends who would rather see a caught fish killed instead of released. They figure you've already inflicted pain, why not kill it instead of just inflicting pain for pains sake and release. It won't stop me by any means.

from abmcp13 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

It wouldn't make me stop fishing. I know that the animals I hunt feel pain, but that hasn't made me stop hunting, you just need to be ethical about it. I don't purposely wing birds, I always go for a clean kill. Same thing with fishing, hook the fish, reel in, put it back in the water as fast as possible.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No. Fish are either bait or food.EOS.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I think I've gotten too used to not thinking about it for it to change my mindset. Additionally, I'd challenge that the definition of "pain" is relative. Fish must feel something; that something is wrong, that they need to escape, etc. but is that defined as pain? Does a lobster, crab, lizard, etc. that sheds it's claw or tail to a predator to save it's life feel the same sensation we would if we lost an arm? Not likely.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

The world is a tough place, it's just the way it is, we didn't create it, we just share it...and we can not change the tree of life no matter how enlightened some people feel they have become...I would never harm an animal just to inflict pain, but I love to fish, and love to hunt, and accept the results of my actions....a fish feels no more pain from my hook than when it is eaten by another bigger fish, and a deer dies no more painfully from my bullet than the teeth of a predator...people are not immune from the tree of life, but are part of it....and some of us prefer the role of predator over that of prey...

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Of course fish feel pain, I am going to assume that any creature with a nervous system feels pain. I do not think most hook sets inflict any more pain than getting an earring... so all of these nut jobs that get multiple piercings and walk around with more hardware hanging off of them than the Christmas tree in Times Square should be able to attest that it really isn't that big a deal. And I would like to second what WVOtter said, it is likely a relative sense in comparison with warm blooded animals. To conclude: FISH ON!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Fish eat their own young, alive! I don't think a little prick in the lip is going to scar them.

As for giving up my fly rod..."from my cold dead hands!"

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

HMMMM....Obama was fly fishing not too long ago.....
Maybe the anti's should picket the White House.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Of course I care, a little. But that won't stop me from fishing. Most fish eat other fish--fins, bones & all. My hook can't hurt much more than that.

from jay wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Very well put idahooutdoors.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Being swallowed and digested alive by a fish has to be the most morbid way to go. I am sure any fish, or any other creature, feasting on a human isn't too concerned about the pain it causes the human or its family and friends. Humans are the only creatures that think and care about the pain inflicted on other creatures. Is that one of the things that sets us "above" other life? Won't get philosophical about it. I'll just keep on fishing. Won't stop trapping mice or rats, or swatting flies and mosquitoes, either. No, I don't eat everything I kill.

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I walked out my door yesterday morning to a squealing rabbit. Went for a look and found a Texas Indigo snake devouring a rabbit, except it wasn't trying to swallow the thing whole. It looked like it was going for the spot between the hind legs and sort of cleaning the rabbit out from the inside, rather than take the whole thing in. Damnedest thing I've yet seen, and all in all,looked rather painful. Nature's tough, death has its sting, and so does any fight, even when we release the other guy, be it fish or man.

from juliaG wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

They are slaughtering what is left of the wolf population in Montana, Idaho and Alaska and these ultra left wing nuts are worried if a fish can feel pain. I don't know who are more misguided: the far right wing or the ultra left wing. Its a toss up.

-14 Good Comment? | | Report
from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Am I dreaming or is someone claiming the wolf population is being slaughtered and I have a feeling we will be seeing a bunch more posts from juliaG. I hope I'm misunderstanding something.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

"Do You Care If Fish Feel Pain?"

Heck No.

Does a fish care if the fish it eats feels pain? If not, why should I?

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

"They are slaughtering what is left of the wolf population in Montana, Idaho and Alaska..."

Thank goodness for that!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

isnt that what the butters for?LOL.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

juliaG,

Welcome to the site. I know you are not "one of us" from your previous post but you appear to be level headed and offer a different view point. I know you might get some flack from other posters but I for one would like to hear your views on different matters.

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Who, exactly is slaughtering "what's left" of the wolf population? The only reason there is a hunting season is because the population needs to be checked. They are not wiping anything out.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

To juliaG,
It sounds like you & I would agree that the ultra far right wing nuts and ultra far left wing nuts are both dangerous. But the wolf hunts out west are allowed because sound scientific research has confirmed that the wolf populations in those areas are self-sustaining and sufficient to support a hunt. In those areas, there is no longer a threat of extinction. On the contrary, the protection and reintroduction efforts have been so successful that ranchers are now seeing greater & greater losses to wolves each year.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Have we lost our minds as a society when this subject is a point of controversy? There are people who also believe that flowers and vegetables feel pain. Insanity reigns.

from juliaG wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I hope you guys are correct about the wolf population being self sustaining. I would hate to see the loss of another species. Biodiversity is the key to life on the planet and it starts with the top preditors. It won't have an impact on us but 2 or 3 generations down the road, possibly. As for torturing fish with catch and release or catch and eat, go right ahead (with the blessing of the "level headed"). I'll say no more.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hey Ruckweiler,
Haven't you ever heard the horrible screaming when you drop vegetables in boiling water? It's the most spine chilling sound on earth. Eating vegetables is inhumane. I just can't stand to see them suffer. In the name of all that is good and holy, eat meat. Save the vegetables.

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Research shows that I may in fact feel pain, but people haven't stopped annoying me.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

seadog - you might want to look into PETP ... that's pronounced pet-pee ... People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants. Just because humans can't hear them doesn't mean plants aren't screaming when we cut them off at their roots and eat them alive. They are probably just communicating at a yet to be discovered vibration level. Fruits and seeds are wombs and living offspring. Just think about that when taking a bite out an apple or peeling back a banana.

Geez ... if people join both PETA and PETP we won't have to deal with them much longer. If they consider insects as animals then all that is left is honey, and that is stealing from the bees. Of course, they might prefer soylent green.

from vince wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

The way an eagle catches a fish is far more painful than the way a fly fisherman does. And most of us let the fish free afterwards anyways. Plus, fish eat crawdads and spiny baitfish, which doubtlessly causes pain in their mouth as well. Their mouths have evolved to be resilient against spiny baitfish.

Plus, if you've ever accidentally foul hooked a fish, you know that fish that were foul hooked are in pain - a lot of it, compared to hooking them in the mouth. They thrash more when in the water, and even when in the net. From this, I'm guessing the number of nerves in a fish's mouth is far less than in their side.

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I definitely wouldn't stop fishing over it. lol

from hardineric wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I can't imagine a hook hurts more than the things a fish normally eats (bluegill, crawfish)...I wonder if you could ask a fish if it would rather be released into the lake or into Lake Crisco what it would say?

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hey MLH, that sounds like a plan. All we need is the PETA mailing list and some PETP membership applications. I'll get the neighborhood kids to stuff envelopes. Anyone want to chip in for postage?

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

i think any animal feels pain.will it stop me from hunting and fishing not at all.we all feel alittle pain in our lives onetime or another its just part of living.

from ISEguy wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Good points, Deeter! Thanks. Certainly, the subject touched an, uh, nerve. My perspective is one of consistency: say as you do. To have a legitimate argument, every PETA person must be a vegan, doesn't ever partake of milk or cheese, and probably wouldn't eat anything from a field in which the farmer had used pesticides. Right? Or don't bugs feel? How about cow udders--no nerves, right? I'm okay with fishing because I don't think of myself as a hypocrite. I love meat. In fact...hold on. Let me take a bite of my breakfast burrito. Yum! That chicken has just the right heat. It's not free-range chicken, I'm sure. And my bird prabably lived in a shoebox-size cage, surrounded by other birds, in a giant room packed with cages. Good thing chickens are so stupid--after all, they don't even need a brain to run around after they've lost theirs. Yum! Good burrito!!

from cTXn wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Both the old and new testaments didn't show any problems with it. Why should I?

from curt88 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

the way i look at is this; people, whether we like it or not, are a part of nature, neither above nor below it, therefor our physical actions constitute a natural process and nature has no concept of ethics, ethics is a mental condition created in the minds of men to determine what is for the betterment of mankind. This doesnt necessarily imply that we can act with out any notion of ethics because we have to realize that the ethics of our decisions is simply a way to determine whether the physical reality of a decision will have a positive impact on our surroundings, i.e. if we were to overfish a species to extinction then we lose the ability to further fish for that species which most who enjoy fishing for that species would conclude is a negative outcome thus unethical, either way nature doesnt care and will go on as it always has, only man truly cares for the loss. with this in mind hanging up the rod and reel because it causes fish pain is the unethical option as it deprives us of a source of enjoyment and thus loss for man, nature will continue on either way

from Zach Stephenson wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I love to fish, its my favorite thing in the world to do, but I'm not going to stop fishing because it causes fish pain. When you think about it a hook in a fishes mouth wont hurt as bad as getting eaten by another fish.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I agree with Idahooutdoors:In the shared world, man is
the top predator in food chain,hunting and fishing gentle
is maybe the only thing All We can do, using personnal ethics in conservation and unharmed releases when fishing or clean death as a hunting ethic code.

from peter wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

i dont care at all, its not like im kickin a human being in the shins, fish arent smart, they may be hard tocatch but they still arnt smart

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

At my age (68) pain can be a good thing, it lets me know I am STILL ALIVE! Same for fish .

from panfishman wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

i worry more about letting them go afterwards, if i'm not getting them for the table. if a fish swims away easily then i don't worry, but i'll stick with a big fish i want to let go for hours so long as it goes back on it's own.

from ryanjameshurd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

This is not ultra left wing nuts, its just a study. No one is trying to stop you from fishing, but it is an interesting question. If you take a few days to dwell on it, nurture what Izaak Walton calls the contemplative half of angling, you will be a better fisherman and conservationist for it.

from ryanjameshurd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I do think it should cause you to have more respect for fish and game, just knowing that it does cause pain. I think that is part of participation with nature.

from Nycflyangler wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I do care. It bothers me a bit, but not enough to make me want to stop fishing. I do practice catch and release. I rationalize that the fish, if they could make an informed choice, would prefer to be caught and be scared or feel a bit of pain and then be released by an angler to being caught and killed by an animal predator and eaten.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from abmcp13 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hey Ruckweiler,

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from vince wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

As for giving up my fly rod..."from my cold dead hands!"

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

"Do You Care If Fish Feel Pain?"

Heck No.

Does a fish care if the fish it eats feels pain? If not, why should I?

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

HMMMM....Obama was fly fishing not too long ago.....
Maybe the anti's should picket the White House.

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from jay wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Very well put idahooutdoors.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

To juliaG,

from juliaG wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from curt88 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I agree with Idahooutdoors:In the shared world, man is
the top predator in food chain,hunting and fishing gentle

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

No. Fish are either bait or food.EOS.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

isnt that what the butters for?LOL.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I definitely wouldn't stop fishing over it. lol

from hardineric wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from ISEguy wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Both the old and new testaments didn't show any problems with it. Why should I?

from Zach Stephenson wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago