The Best Fly Fishing License Plates

FlyTalk

December 28, 2009

The Best Fly Fishing License Plates

By Kirk Deeter

One thing about fly fishers... we're a proud lot, and eager to let the world know what we do and why we do it. One look at my truck, which I call "The Silver Doctor," and it's pretty clear that I fly fish... from flies stuck in the sun visors to spent spools of tippet littering the bed.  But I have never had a custom license plate for my truck. I've never been clever enough to find the perfect six-letter/number combination.

I like this one about as much as any... straightforward and concise. We don't just fish... "we cast."

Some vanity plates pay homage to fish... BRN TRT, or BUL RED, for example.

And then there are the fly staples: I've seen MUDDLR, and BWO PMD before... I think in Michigan and Montana, respectively.

What's the cleverest license plate you've seen on a hunter's or fisher's vehicle? Do you have one yourself? And any suggestions you have for me are most welcome.

Deeter

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

There is a guy driving around Ohio with DRY FLY plates. I'm not into vanity plates but admit several times over the years I check to see if it's available.

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Only 7 characters? Seems FLYTALK would be the way to go. Perhaps WETRDRY (though that might be interpreted a couple of ways), FLYGIDE, FLYWRIT, DEDRIFT, DRIFTER, WADERS, RIFFRUN. A friend has TIEFLIES. NYMPH wouldn't be a good idea.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have heard that the Colorado DMV rejects anything they deem inapropriate.....so I don't think they would put "NYMPH" on a plate......nor would I want my wife driving around with that either.....there are folks who just wouldn't get it and would read it with an "O" at the end.

from chris95 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have a friend with plates that say CSTAFLY.

from 3 Wgt wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I'm fond of 9FT4WGT (first rod I ever built and still my favorite). It's easy to remember for those motel registers, subtle enough that only fly fishers "get it" and you can substitute whatever numbers you like best or aren't taken.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

the last time i tried to get a custom plate in colorado, it was so rediculously expensive, i decided there was no way i would be able to without a loan from the bank.

from curmudgeon wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

FLYTALK. FLYTALKR.FLYTALKU.FLYTAL.FLYTALKN.FLYTALKO.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

I know the Utah plates with a Cuttroat,a Deer or Blue Heron. And think maybe the trout with a couple of classic fly patterns...

from MOflyfisher wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

How about "9WTROD", personally I prefer to fish with a 4wt but if your telling the world you might as well go big. I like "DOUTY?" just thought of that one and "ITYTOO" isn't bad.Both are obscrue enough that you would have to be a fly fisher to make them out I've seen "FISHER" someplace."DOUTY2", "ITY4U" if you tie commercial could work. "IFLYTY" I do actually fish.

from gremlin wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Hang in there "JAMESTI". We in Colorado will get rid of our liberal tax & tax & tax & spend Governor and get our plates back to where they were. Once he is gone, you can start looking at a good fly fishing plate name. I now pay $50 extra to just have Vietnam Veteran on my plates. The license plates are one of the priorities of at least one of the conservatives declared as a candidate for governor this coming year. I expect some others will do the same.

from JIMALOHA wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

Our plates limit me to 6 characters - most of my ideas are taken. FLYFSH, FLIFSH,FL1FSH, LV2FSH, TROUT, BRNTRT, I CAST - all taken. Any ideas?

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from chris95 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I have a friend with plates that say CSTAFLY.

from 3 Wgt wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago