Stuff That Works: Yeti Coolers

FlyTalk

March 31, 2011

Stuff That Works: Yeti Coolers

By Tim Romano

I've had many coolers over the years and none lasted longer than a couple of seasons. This will be my fourth season with my Tundra 45-quart Yeti and I absolutely love the thing. John Merwin raved about them in 2009 for Best of the Best and so did F&S Executive Editor Mike Toth last year.

These coolers are strong as hell, have a bomb-proof hinge, latch, and handle systems. The drain plug is gasketed and the coolers are certified bear-proof by the Interagency Grizzly Gear Committee. You can watch a Grizz try and tear one apart on Yeti's website.

I've used mine as a seat on the boat, casting platform, cutting board, sawhorse, and shipping container and never had an issue with it. Oh, and they hold ice a heck of a lot longer than any K-Mart cooler I've ever used.

There are just two drawbacks to the Yeti: They're fairly heavy and pretty darn expensive, but as Mike Toth wrote, "you’ll buy a lot less ice over the years." Most likely a lot less coolers, too.

from ejunk wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I really want one of these. I wish there was some way to trade in all of the crappy coolers I have in my garage towards one of these bad boys.

yrs-
Evan!

from ALJoe wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I really like them too. I can see how in the long run you would save money but I just can't get over the initial sticker shock.

from Brian Jackson wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I can buy an igloo cooler every other year for 15 years for the price of that. Heck for the price of that I can buy a mini-fridge that plugs into the 12volt plugin on my truck or boat.

from Proverbs wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Jack - Yeti has to pay for all those celebrity endorsements they need to sell their products.

Igloo's reputation and value does the selling for itself.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

They might be expensive, but the hinges wont break like on my expensive "5 day cooler". it wodt get cracked when it gets dropped out of the truck, and it insulated very, very well, plus its basically airtight so no weird odors in the mini van on a trip.

from backcast wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I need one! Can't keep the bears out of my stash of cold Yuenglings!

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I repair my gear and improve it so I will get one in a decade, or so.

from nchunt101 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

my buddy got one and his lab puppy destroyed the handles and got a chunk of the top...in 45 minutes. give me my igloo

from seadog wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

This could be the perfect cooler for me if my three sons ever marry & move on (I'm thinkin' they'll move out by the time they all reach 25 or 30, but if this country keeps going the way it is now, I'll probably be adding 3 daughters-in-law to the household before the "Corporate States of America" will let my middle class kids buy homes of their own). For now, I'll sacrifice the coolers to the wildness of youth and try to teach responsibility with more important things--cars, guns, girlfriends--so far it's working out pretty well--3 good kids grounded in reality. What more could I ask for? So, just out of curiosity, how much would one of those gold-plated coolers cost? LMAO

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Backcast,

If you are storing Yuenglings you better make sure it is buckhunter proof.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i just wish i could afford one of those.

from backcast wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

buckhunter, I got plenty...come on over and grab a few!

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Yeti is the way to go. And if you are looking for a thermus that keeps drinks cold or hot for over 8 hours the Stanley wide mouth is my pick. I picked it up at Orvis about 5 years ago. Still the best I've had. The wide mouth lets me put chili in and spoon it out. Draw back... no cup lid.

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Too pricey for me. Then you would have people trying to steal the thing.

from Sage Sam wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Tim, isn't there a Colorado-based company making cooler in the same production manner of Yeti's?

from Sage Sam wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Should have looked first. Galaxy Coolers out of Durango.

from Wallace-N-Gromit wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I work hard to buy MADE IN USA products. Would rather do without than buy imported. Hard to get around that sometimes, and sometimes I have to bite the bullet and buy foreign made anyway.

Yeti is made in the Philippines. They claim some of the work is done in Iowa too. If that work is just packaging and labeling, it ain't enough. I'll stick with a MADE IN USA Rubbermaid cooler, or just build my own which I have also done.

As much as a Yeti costs, there's no reason to make them in the Philippines. Bring it all back home and I'll buy one.

Short of that it's useless to me.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Yeti coolers are built like a tank. The company is out of Austin TX. I am not sure where they are made.

from Brian Jackson wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Igloo's reputation and value does the selling for itself.

from deanlikes2fish wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I repair my gear and improve it so I will get one in a decade, or so.

from nchunt101 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

yrs-
Evan!

from ALJoe wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from backcast wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I need one! Can't keep the bears out of my stash of cold Yuenglings!

from seadog wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Backcast,

If you are storing Yuenglings you better make sure it is buckhunter proof.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i just wish i could afford one of those.

from backcast wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

buckhunter, I got plenty...come on over and grab a few!

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Too pricey for me. Then you would have people trying to steal the thing.

from Sage Sam wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Should have looked first. Galaxy Coolers out of Durango.

from Wallace-N-Gromit wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Short of that it's useless to me.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago