Fear on the Water: What's the Scariest Fishing Situation You've Been In?

FlyTalk

May 11, 2011

Fear on the Water: What's the Scariest Fishing Situation You've Been In?

By Tim Romano

I've been lucky enough to travel to some pretty amazing places with my job. Along with amazing fishing, some of these spots occasionally comes a healthy amount of hazards - like large sharks, bears, rattlesnakes and leaky boats to floods, lightning and the occasional gun toting landowner. Usually it's worth it.

Last fall I had the pleasure of photographing F&S web editor Nate Matthews and his dad down the entire length of the Rio Grande River. We fished the entire way. There were scorpions, spiders, a fair share of gnarly rapids and other things that could have derailed our trip, but only one came close. Human beings. Toward the end of our trip David Hartley was supposedly gunned down on one of the best bass lakes in the country when he and his wife also supposedly stumbled into a drug deal on the Mexican side of the lake.

This was literally days before we were supposed to fish it. After a couple more days of handwringing and travel we decided to throw caution to the wind and fish the lake anyway. While I think I hid it well I have to say this was one of the most nervous I've ever been fishing. After hearing the news earlier this week that 13 people were gunned down on Falcon it got me thinking again about fishing it and how lucky we were.

So I'm curious, what's caused you to be the most scared while you were fishing? Was it bears or the weather or something as strange as another human?

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Black bears which I have found are not all that scary when you see encounter them enough. Just yell at them wave your hands and they run off with their tail between there legs. I do have to say it still gets my heart pumping when I see them in the woods.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Was fishing from a canoe in a steep walled reservior on a sky blue day when a severe thunderstorm popped up announcing itself with a near lake strike jsut as it became visible nearly overhead. That wasn't really so bad. We were only about 40 yards out from the near rock face and I quickly got the boat over to be within 10' of the fairly tall ledge so we weren't so exposed. It was one of the worst boomers I've ever been outside for. After a couple of minutes of that my buddy freaks out with eyes rolling like a spooked horse and starts paddling as hard as he can for the ramp which is across a half mile of open water. THAT scared me. There was more than a little tension in the boat for the remainder of the afternoon.

from karmano wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Fishing on Rock Creek in Montana on a snowy day in March, I had just fallen in (it happens way to often on that river) and was heading back to the car to change. After warming up, I headed back to see what was taking my husband so long only to run into two rather large moose about 15 feet away from me. They were fairly settled in the pool eating lunch, but I didn't want to push it, so I backed away slowly towards the road. About an hour later, once I found my husband, I found out he also ran into the same pair, but they weren't so friendly to him. He rushed to the far side of the river to give them a wide berth, narrowly avoiding a confrontation.

from Phil1227 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

When I was around 12 I was catfishing with my dad, and a few of his friends at Harlan County Resivour in Nebraska. We were out at night and it was flat calm on the lake. All of a sudden the wind picked up and a large Midwestern thunderstorm rollod in. We reeled in our lines and halled a** through the rough water about five miles to the dock, we made it but were pretty wet when we got back.

from Teodoro wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Probably be the time we got the canoe anchor jammed in a tangle of logs at the bottom of the Delaware and Dad was standing up in the boat leaning this way and that trying to coax it free.

from mexhunter wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I know EXACTLY how that is. My dad and I went fishing in a lake not half, but completely in Mexico. it used to be awesome

from shane wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Fishing for pike on a lake in the Adirondacks. Storm came in fast. We were in a canoe, far from the launch point. It wasn't terribly scary, but we sure paddled about as fast as we ever did outside of a race.

Oh, speaking of fast, Frank Campbell, who has been mentioned in a Merwin blog, tried to rip my face off with his boat going obscenely fast up the Niagara river to Devil's Hole. High speed mixed with turbulent water that actually rotated the boat while on plane is no fun

from Cgull wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Becoming socked in fog in the Middle of Corpus Christ bay with no radar and knowing we had to cross the ship channel to make it back.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I should mention one thing that happened to me recently I fell with waters on in a spot on the Menominee River (separates Wisconsin and Upper Michigan) where many have drowned. Well, I floated for a second then my wadders took on water and I went under this is in april mind you so the waters about 40 degrees. I unlatched my waders and began to swim pole in one hand waders in the other. By this time I was down current about 20 yards in some pretty good current. I kept the waders and my pole but was drenched and cold, had a change of cloths in my car so i warmed up and went back fishing without my waders. (april walleye run is awesome in that river)

from vtbluegrass wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I have had several one that would get your heart going like when the transom started separting on my jon boat in the Pamlico Sound, flipping a canoe in substantial the New River, VA, and losing power 25miles offshore on a buddies boat. The most dangerous situation had to be stumbling onto a meth cook on the VA/WV border about 6 years ago. I didn't see any people but I am sure I was seen because the law enforcment guys that showed up after I got out of there and called it in didn't find much but fair amount of trash indicative of a meth cook.

from dcrocks6 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

i was fishing a small creek wearing shorts and sandals when i pushed my way through some low trees to get to a perfect looking spot. just as i am about to cast i hear a rattle and i look down and see a good sized rattlesnake about 6 inches from my feet but besides that it was a great afternoon of fishing

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Would have to be fishing in AK. We were on the water and the seas started getting bad. Barely made it to cover without capsizing. If we would have went over then it might not have matter whether we had life jackets on or not. Pretty intense for a 10 year old.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Being a woman who is on the water alone often would seem no big deal. But one time I was coming out of the river and this guy shows up, stepping out from behind a boulder, menacingly approaches. Simply put for some reason I had taken my bowie style knife with me that day and had looped it to my wading belt. He stood blocking my path, "I'm Rob." he said as he took a few steps towards me, as if I really cared about an introduction.Now I'm no small woman: broad of shoulder and tall. I took my own steps back, shacking in my boots, my heart beating so fast I started to pant, but with a good mind I also pulled my knife, pointed it at him and said," and this is little Mo." Where the hell did that come from, LITTLE MO? Anyway, he took a look at this big f-ing blade and decided to back out of the situation. I waited whatever time and made it back to the car, down the hill and to the police station.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Sorry about the repeat sends.

from Carpman wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I fish for Barracuda from kayaks in Key West in the Winter when the big boys are on the flats in 2 to 3 feet of water. When you hook a 40 plus inch Cuda on a fly rod or a tube lure from a kayak it will get your heart thumping. Especially when they jump near the kayak and trying to release these big fish from a kayak is nerve racking for sure. Word of caution don't ever fish for Cudas when your wife is in the kayak with you. I had a few cudas bounce off the kayak where my wife was sitting, bad idea, don't fish on Mother's Day either without your wife, learned that scary lesson too!

from ejunk wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

One time a buddy of mine and I were having a grand old time using big gawdy popper flies to tear largemouth out of the lily pads around the edge of a nice big pond when, all of the sudden, we both came to the terrible realization that we were out of beer.

yrs-
Evan!

from huntnow wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I was fishing a large pond near Tyndall AFB while stationed there. Being from Kentucky, I was always on the look out for gators, not necessarily scared of them, just cautious. Anyway, the fishing was good and about dusk, I was fishing from an old dock. All of a sudden the electric fish feeder came on while I was thinking about those gators. I thought I was eaten up. Funny now but it scared the you know what out of me at the time.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

While wade fishing a creek in Mississippi I realized that there were approximately 30 water mocassin snakes in close proximity to me. Fish were biting so I just kept on fishing while my wife was going nuts up on the sandbar. I really don't know why I reacted the way I didbut it makes a good story.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

fishing in alaska when my son's friend went in the water and his waders began filling up. i had to go in after him. between the cold and the current, it was not fun.

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

While fishing Lake Hicpochee in South Florida with my Mom & Dad in one boat and some friends of the family in another boat about 50 feet away, had a waterspout pass directly between the two boats. Everyone got soaked, and both boats were completely full of water Hyacinths once the storm had passed.

from Oldclimber wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

I was steelhead fishing way out on a gravel bar of one of the Erie mile tributaries of Pennsylvania one beautiful late fall day when a storm came up on me from behind, fast. Next thing I know it was too dark to see the cold and deep channel, the waves were breaking up to my mid chest and the gravel was washing from under my feet due to the inrush of the wind driven water level. Almost crapped my pants a few times as I stepped on the gravel at the edge of the channel dropoff and had to power my way back onto the shifting bar. Only got wet, very cold, somewhat scared, and left for home. I never keep my back to the weather in Erie since.

from QDMGuy wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Fishing the Okefenokee Swamp where alligators hear a hooked fish like a dinner bell and are definitely not scared of humans. Even a 14 ft. steel v-hull doesn't seem safe when a 10 ft. gator comes charging at you! My bamboo push pole became even more useful when it came to keeping the toothy ones at bay!

from QDMGuy wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from QDMGuy wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from Mark Orlicky wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Two of them, same year. First, fishing a high altitude lake, got caught in a lightning storm. Watched a bolt of lightning hit the shoreline about 40 yards away. As I tried to hunker down, I watched another bolt of lightning hit a boulder that was "very close". It blew the boulder up.
Second incident was mild. Went on a sandbar to take a dump and just as I pull my pants down, I hear this rattling directly behind me. Scared the holy cr*p out of me!

from firedawg wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

ejunk. That is by far the scariest fishing story yet. I had 2 teenagers that couldn't swim in a canoe with me in a farm pond and we managed to capsize. I managed to get them both to hold on to the bottom of the boat after slinging them up there by there belts. Then swam them and the boat the 50yds to shore. NOT FUN!

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I was fishing in Western Montana on a trib of the clark fork. there were sections of very shaded woods right along the bank and the intense brightness made it very difficult for me to see into . I was just enjoying the day fishing with my back to one particularly shaded spot when i heard some twigs breaking directly behind me. I turned around to see what it was but my eyes were taking along time to adjust to the difference in light. after staring for a few seconds my eyes started to focus and I saw something move about 30 yrds behind me. once my eyes fully adjusted i noticed that the flicker which i had seen was an ear that was connected to the head of a freaking enormous bull moose. The bull now had both ears pinned back as flat as they could get. I almost doodooed my pants, when we made eye contact and mr. moose woofed at me. Another scary story happened when i was about 14 years old fishing an a public lake. I was fishing in one of my usual spots and this creepy dude showed up and started fishing next to me. He started bs'ing with me how the fishing was and asking if had caught anything. I politely responded and said that i hadn't ( it was a white lie). Creepy dude said that he had caught some real lunkers, but they were in the back seat of his car, which was parked, as he said, just a little further down the road. He asked me if i wanted to check them out. I was super uncomfortable witht he situation and said no because my mom was just about to come pick me up. This dude insisted, saying they were the biggest catfish he'd seen come out of the lake. Luckily my mom pulled up within seconds. When he pulled up i turned to see if it was indeed her. I turned back around to grab my stuff just in time to see this creepy dude quickly walking away.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from rdorman wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

stubled up on a goose nest and she came and attacked me...in the grand sceam of things not that scary...but initially it was scary...anytime i fish the stream when chunks of ice are floating down

from seadog wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

I was spearfishing in about 60 ft. of water with scuba & I shot a nice hogfish. When I looked up, there was a school of barracuda between me and the boat. I was just a young buck at the time, so I hadn't been in a situation like that before. I would have given the fish up, but the 'cudas let me swim right through the middle of the school with my dinner.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

Standing up in a driftboat casting lead eyed streamers for big brown trout, and the guy throwing lead said he could cast.

from masterbaetis wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

it's happened to me a couple of times that I remember - looking up at the sky through a few feet of water. Once while wading and once while floating. I remember those times rather vividly.

from masterbaetis wrote 2 years 48 weeks ago

from dcrocks6 wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Sorry about the repeat sends.

from Carpman wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago