New Fly Fishing TV Show: Fly vs. Guy

FlyTalk

May 17, 2011

New Fly Fishing TV Show: Fly vs. Guy

By Tim Romano

by Tim Romano

Gotta give it up to my buddy Marshall over at Midcurrent.com for finding this one and had to share. The info over on Vimeo states, "This is the teaser for the pilot episode of Fly Vs Guy that will be soon airing on Sportman's Channel. Fly Vs Guy combines fishing with humor to create a fishing show unlike any other before.

"The show stars comedian and well-respected fly fishing guide Scott Thompson as he takes on a celebrity guest in a fishing challenge each week. Comedian Dave Shirley holds it all together as he referees all the challenges."

Honestly I can't tell if this is gonna be funny or get old really fast. The pilot was worth 2:42 seconds of my time, but I dunno about a whole show. What do you think?

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'm an old fuddy duddy I guess. The overall view of fly fishing seems to be, fishing doesn't sell. Fishing is not much of a spectator sport. It is much more an individual appreciation rather than a sport folks are interested in viewing. I like good flyfishing info, the how and where, and good casting, presentation, etc. Celebrities don't get it with me unless they are good like a Curt Gowdy was, or a Ted Williams was. Then I am very interested in viewing them.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Koldkut wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Hook shots is where it's at.....dude needs to get his own show. I won't watch this unless it's the only one on, or I'm interested in seeing the guest. KD reserved his spot in the lineup?

from Bioboy wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Not sure about the comedy run up part, but when they were actually fishing and doing the on the water challenge part the show looked pretty entertaining.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'd watch it, at least of couple times...if I got the Sportsman's Channel.

from jeffo52284 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

the challenges and fishing looked pretty cool but the rest of it seemed a little overdone for my taste

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

What happened to just a simple fly fishing show? Espn dropped their outdoors programs and now I font really get to watch any fishing, even less f fly fishing.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

From my standpoint, as I mentioned in my post, is most of the fly fishing shows are very poorly done. Bugs aren't identified as if the host didn't have a clue as to what was coming off. The casting is edited just showing a guy that has a fish on as if they couldn't cast. Get a good celebrity that is into fly fishing that can fly fish, and I think the shows would get better ratings/viewing audiences.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from backcast wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Don't know if I'd pay too much attention to this, even if I got the Sportsman's Channel. Have seen some fly fishing shows with various and sundry "celebrities" who are generally clueless as to fly fishing technique. You can tell they had a couple of hours of instruction, then they're are put on the bonefish flats, or in the front of a skiff casting to permit, or on a trout stream somewheres, where they struggle to cast and catch fish, and if they suceed, it's a big triumph. Would rather see a show with fly fishing celebs, who know what they're doing-someone like Lefty Kreh, or Tim Rajeff, who's a pretty funny dude in his own right. Don't know if the comedy aspect would add or detract from the appeal of the show.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

You named two good ones backcast. Excellent fly anglers and excellent personalities. Someone that was into fly fishing would definitely enjoy watching. Golfers Mark Omara, and David Duvall are both good fly anglers/personalities. I can't stand some Hollywood dude that can't fly fish, and then they talk about his career, and have him sing a Country Western song if he's so inclined..and not that I don't enjoy Country Western..especially with a little of my rock'n roll in it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

There are already so few fly fishing shows on television that I'm virtually guaranteed to watch it by default. Someone needs to give Felt Soul media their own show.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

You named a couple of good ones..great fly casters, and anglers, and excellent personalities. That is what is needed, IMO, not some gimmick competition viewing someone that can't fly fish, and then spending time talking about their Hollywood career, and having them sing a country western song...not that I don't like Country especially if it has a little of my Rock'n Roll in it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from comedyfisher wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

All good comments for sure. I would be skeptical too. The problem that I have found is that any show that tries to be funny is that it has been created by someone without a background in comedy. Comedy may be the hardest thing to do on earth. I know, I have done it for over 20 years. In creating Fly Vs Guy, we are taking great pains to not only make you laugh, but engage the fishing competitions in a way that makes you feel like you are a part of the action. As for the fishing, since I am a working guide we wont be hiring any guides to make us look like we know what we are doing. Believe it or not, we actually do. We are currently lining up guests that really can fish and will be releasing our list later this year. Thanks so much for the feedback! Scott

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

comedyfisher. As a guide, I am sure you have seen many a humorous happening at a boat ramp. An hilarious one hour feature could be presented showing nothing but scenes at a boat ramp. We had a guy lose the entire 9 yards at our South Fork launch last year...new pickup, boat, trailer gone...said the park brake broke loose. The truck floated downstream for awhile, long enough for the guy to swim out in treacherous water, climb in the truck, and get his wallet out, and swim to shore.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from comedyfisher wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Sayfu: If you only had a camera......Hilarious

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I see that this is coming into fruition finally...

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I've had it with all the shows showing celebs. Kirk get your act together and do a 1/2 hour with regular folk, little know guides and less traveled waters. I'm with Sayfu, let's see more how, when, where, what on the shows.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Bioboy wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'd watch it, at least of couple times...if I got the Sportsman's Channel.

from jeffo52284 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from backcast wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from comedyfisher wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from comedyfisher wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Sayfu: If you only had a camera......Hilarious

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

I see that this is coming into fruition finally...

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago