Video Tip: Mousing for Trout

FlyTalk

July 11, 2011

Video Tip: Mousing for Trout

By Tim Romano

After our carping adventure on Beaver Island, Michigan a few weeks ago, Deeter and I decided we needed a little more action when we got back to the mainland.

Guide, Matt Dunn of Indigo Guide Service was nice enough to take us out for the night and give us a rare treat - mousing for trout from a drift-boat. He gave us direction on how to do it, what to expect and even a few mouse tying tricks. Granted we were fishing the fabled Pere Marqutte river, but I think fishing for trout with mice works pretty much the same everywhere you do it.

Enjoy.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Tim
There's always been a good reason to have a few deer-hair mice in your fly box. . . maybe #2 hooks. Also gives you some of the best top-water fishing for Northern Pike!
Now you understand why Mickey never goes swimming.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

They don't make fly boxes large enough for everything you need to carry these days...I have some sliders that may do the trick if I could find a river worthy of night fishing like this.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

LOL. My first post was kicked out for an obscene word? The obscene word (not really that bad) was the name of a huge brown trout that fell to a mouse at night in my local waters. A classic method for big browns.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

There was a good mouse pattern in FlyFisherman Mag awhile back..The Morish Mouse I think it was..not hard to tie, and I tied a bunch up. They were trimmed flat on the bottom so the mouse rides low in the water like mice ride when they go swimmin. Another one where my emphasis on good casting, and line control comes into play. That mouse needs to be cast right in tight to the bank. I don't like trailer hooks, so will put up with a few more missed strikes. A thing to remember is....when you angler your casts down some and into the bank if you hit bank beeds or bushes you are much more likely to bounce off and into the water than if you cast straight across, or slightly upstream. And they suggested to cast down, and in to the bank.

from Bellringer wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

The video was disappointing, I expected to at least see a fish striking, however, if you use real mice, it works very good.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Bellringer..hard to see a video at nite. In Alaska they do have a lot of success during the day...advantageous to have a cloudy day though, and they sure have them in Alaska.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Sayfu, How in the world did you get 4 (-1's) with that post? I believe you have followers.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

buckhunter..dunno, Where do you see ratings? I don't ever see any, nor do I care much.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I'm going to try and do some mousing this summer. I've never done it, but have a few spots where I think it would be killer.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Sayfu just knows better than all the experts, and he's not afraid to tell you how it *really* is, despite the lack of credibility or any kind of evidence to back it up.

But.....for all we know, he could be some notable person in the industry hiding behind his keyboard.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

koldkut...I welcome debate. There have been lots of false info presented on these threads..Deeter has even admitted so at times. You are unable to debate because your knowledge base regarding flyfishing is quite low. Just responding to journalist positions in a tail wagging fashion, "great idea, think I'll try it" doesn't set well with me. I welcome someone contridicting me, it becomes a learning exchange. Unfortunately you can't participate in much of that.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I've debated a bunch on here.....what I don't debate, is the junk that you stir up that doesn't matter one lick when it comes to putting fish in the net....I don't care if my wrist snap is all wrong.....the line is in the water, where the fish are. I spend less time worrying about the perfect mechanics and just fish. As for my low knowledge base regarding fly fishing, maybe so, but my knowledge of overall fish behavior is higher than yours, I guarantee it. In the end, the cast means little if you can't get the fish to eat.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I voted off one of Sayfu negative marks. I thought his comment worthy and good. I looked up the fly he suggested, just tied one, and it looks like it works well. You never know who is at the other end of a comment. As Koldkut said, it might be a big mucky or some dumb A$$ just commenting. But this sight has so much great 411. Sayfu comes off brash, IMHO, but at least give words to thought. KoldKut has offered much excellent information. You're both good.... why are you so pissed off? It's always interesting. Now I'm sure I'll get sh-t for this too. Regardless, the interchange is always entertaining and mostly educational.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Sayfu started the name calling long ago.....and who would just let that roll off their shoulder on the interwebz? It's all in good fun eh? Different points of view.....

fflutter....-1 to you sir(or ma'am) just becaude the button is there :)

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Thank you Kold for the inspiration. Just because the button is there might be reason some use it. Yes. However, for me it is a tool to express that information is solid or inappropriate for me. If I had my way I'd enjoy meeting every single person on this site. Not as advisories, but for the opportunity to learn from some such knowledge.
Being a guide and a business woman does not give me neither right or respect, even for a moment, to consider the information I give omnipotent. For the short time I've been on this site I've taken comments and turned them into valuable gains. Regardless, the click of a mouse, to add a negative to any comment really has little power. Therefore, let me say that I respect your impulse to make my seemingly innocuous remark relevant of your attention and bow to your extraordinary use of said mouse.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

ROFLMAO!!!! Said mouse just said +1.

I too would like to meet most of the folks on here, even good 'ol Sayfu, regardless of what a person may think, a day on the river would not be overshadowed by the perfect cast or how wrong or right one or the other is.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

mice are some of the hardest flies for me to tie. i believe i'll keep trying, though.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

You can always tell who I get to, and I had a good idea who posted the negative marks that I never have seen. IMO of course, this thread has very limited talent posters. There are a few with some expertise, but a lot of young people with limited knowledge. When I was that age, fortunately I listened a lot to the right people. Some of the posters on here are to brash, and self centered to have much listening skills. Shane comes on here, and I think is a female, and criticizes fly anglers, and she isn't a fly fisher person..fishes mostly with spin gear if I am correct! Why come on a designated flyfishing site? Here is another accurate observation I have had over a lot of years, and experiences. Journalists can be some of the least proficient fly anglers. They write about things they know little about. They get paid for the article, copy others experiences, and are far from experts. An example.,, I watched, for several years, every Winter Sat. at our local flyshop some of the best tiers tie in the country. Most of them were commercial tiers, that had commercial interests. I got to the point I would go out in the other room where a knowledgeable angler was located that worked for the shop, and ask the guy, "does this guy fish much?"..if he didn't, I generally left. He had no experience with these new flies he was tying whether they worked or not. Fly angling is a detail sport. If koldkut could care less about details, and says he can't dry fly fish, for instance..fine. I'm interested in providing info that benefits the angler that wants to learn. In defense of Deeter. He doesn't write a lot of what he enters..it is copied off another site. I see the same entre' on other sights before it is entered on here. He's just doin his job.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Say, to say that fly angling is a detail sport is like saying the sky is blue. The details apply to ALL fishing. If you don't apply the same level of attention, you aren't catching as many fish are you can.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Much more so to fly fishing, much more. If you are interested in bettering yourself at flyfishing, I'd suggest you spend less time on this thread, and read good flyfishing publications like FlyFisherman. I seldom read an article about good, flyfishing venues that doesn't involve technical aspects that takes time on the water, and knowledge of what to do. Just finished reading a great article by one of my Gurus, Neil Streeks in FlyFisherman Mag regarding Summer spinner falls, and how to score. Streeks has been on the Missouri River, and the Smith River in Montana many, many days guiding, and has a great perspective on what is needed to succeed. In this article, besides the patterns that have been successful for him, he emphasizes like I do, precise casting, AND says he does not use fluorocarbon leaders like I do knowing they are less visible in the water, BECAUSE they cast more of a shadow, and footprint on the surface of the water...and a point is, I never stop learning, and will alter my approach based on Streek's vast wealth of experiences on the water which is a big reason why fly fishing is such a great sport. Hope you decide to learn more about fly fishing someday.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

Sayfu, you can't say that there is more to fly fishing than other disciplines.....otherwise everyone would be a top paid bass pro(see the latest Hookshots for proof, no disrespect Joe). They are the best at what they do because of the extra details, your just blind to it, which makes you sound like one of those elitist.

from kyka1865 wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

There is a good video on Midcurrent.com regarding mousing in New Zealand.It is under the travel section and is called "once in a blue moon", it is neat because it explains what circumstances lead to the aggressive mouse tendencies of browns. There are also some cool shots of browns that have opened up and are chock full of mice. There are some good shots of takes too.

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

If you think mice work well, try baby beavers for giant trout 20lb plus lunkers.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I once tied an "articulated fly" that I had trouble even finding hooks big enough to tie this concoction on. It was a dead skunk on the first hook, and a possum eating out of the south end of the skunk on the 2nd hook...incredible, vicious strike!..I never swam in that water again!

from wisc14 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

sayfu is always right and everyone else is always wrong

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

ROFLMAO!!!! Said mouse just said +1.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Tim
Now you understand why Mickey never goes swimming.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

fflutter....-1 to you sir(or ma'am) just becaude the button is there :)

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago