Fly Fishing With Stand Up Paddle Boards

FlyTalk

August 09, 2011

Fly Fishing With Stand Up Paddle Boards

By Tim Romano

Last evening I had the pleasure of taking my first spin on a SUP - or Stand Up Paddle Board. In layman's terms, it's pretty much a long surfboard with a grippy top and a super long paddle. There are rigid ones and inflatable types; some are made for surfing waves and many are for flat water paddling. Recently, companies like Bote are making them exclusively for fishing with accessories like ridged aluminum fishing posts, integrated coolers and rod holders. Check out the video below to see a fishing SUP in action.

After a short time paddling the board and getting my sea legs, so to speak, I immediately wished I had a fly rod with me - as bass, carp and bluegill were breaking the surface everywhere. While I won't say it's for everyone, getting the hang of paddling and feeling comfortable was remarkably easy and came to me much quicker than I expected.

I went to bed last night thinking of the possibilities of where this thing could go: deep in the mangroves, super skinny flats or back bays that the bass boats can't get to. Unlike a kayak or belly boat, they give you the advantage of height. And if you have good balance, you don't have to get wet. You can even take them down rivers. No, I didn't actually cast a fly rod yesterday evening, but I mimicked the motion and can say there would be no issue whatsoever.  I think the video below of my friend Michelle Bowman speaks to the fact that it's entirely doable.

What about you?  Anyone out there using a SUP for fly fishing?

from gxx9sdb wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Ha, I can just picture someone hooked onto a big fish getting dragged all around on that thing. I can see it being fun on a calm lake or somewhere super shallow, but having such a high center of gravity may get you wet in the ocean or when a boat drives by too close

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

There was a kayak in that video?

from ckRich wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

If these videos are any indication of the friends you fish with while using a SUP, then I'm buying one today.

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Chad - huh?

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I'm just sayin' I watched both videos and for some reason I never really noticed the kayaks...

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Oh got it... I lost you as there are no Kayaks in the vids. They're Paddle boards. Had me confused there.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I don't think either of these gals looked particularly comfortable. The flyfisher did seem to know what she was doing but wasn't getting a full cast that I could tell. Maybe some of you fly fisher people can let us know what you think.

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sorry, Tim, you're right. Kayaks, SUPs, I'm horrible with semantics, especially when I'm distracted...

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I could see you leaning back against a 10 pound wiper at Aurora Res. Tim. And when he blitzes your drag and snaps your leader, you'd go backwards into the drink......would be fun though...

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I think you could simply kneel down and be fine...

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Kneel down.....and lose cool points?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I saw a lot of paddle boarders while I was kayaking La Jolla a couple years ago. Had a young couple offer to let me try it out but I declined. Wish now I had tried it out.

I see a hybrid paddle board/kayak coming soon. Sort of like the pontoon yaks but a shallower body.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sure would hope this fantasy world stuff would reduce the anglers on my trout rivers, but I doubt it.

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sayfu, Just wait - SUP boarders will be all over your rivers in no time.

Buckhunter - There already is one. Check it. http://diablopaddlesports.com/

Koldkut - Yeah, you're right. Total lack of style points...

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Koldcut has trouble casting with two solid feet on the ground let alone one of those topsie turvies. Can you imagine koldkut trying to double haul while chewing gum on one of those things?! The worst I've ever had it is the jetskies far up in a headwater of a pristine river.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sayfu, I bet I could throw a double haul off that board farther than you can on solid ground. The only thing I don't like about that board is that you have to paddle with your hands, which takes away from your fishing in order to move....the folks at Hobie have that covered in their kayaks....which I would love to own one.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I owned 3 hobie cat pontoon boats. I was kiddin about your double haul abilities. I'm off to the SF of the Snake tomorrow. Hope to see a couple of those babes on their paddle boards.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from steve182 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

nice

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

#2 seemed to know a little more on casting, but i cant get over #1's ........ uh...sunglasses.

I'm just sayin go to about the 2:49 mark.

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Looks like fun.... I wonder if she could teach how to do it.

from JeffW8722 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

See, if your gonna market something, this is how you do it!

from damo450 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

These are great videos. Not sure what they are about, but, kudos OL.

from ajwilson1978 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

The woman is video #1 is actually Magda Cooper - co-founder of BOTE. Hopefully she knows a thing or two about fishing, although maybe she just handles the marketing side of the business!

from COtroutBum wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Iv seen a few people paddling these things around the slow part of the Animas here in Durango. of course if you know anything about Durango chicks you know your more likely to find a hippie chick with arm pit hair then a girl like the video

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Interesting. I think after one hour of standing, balancing and casting, one would find themselves exhausted. The one thing that kept popping into my head was Skin Cancer. Terminal-No Cure. Sorry, but that's what I kept thinking. Kirk that might be an interesting topic.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

does she come with the board? just askin...

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

No skin cancer!...that is when Sayfu comes along to rub sun screen on those chicks.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from abcdpete wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Seems a lot cheaper than sinking 35k into a flats boat. I can imagine landing fish might be different story. If she really wanted to impress me she would've cracked a cool one and set it on the deck. I've been looking to try out kayaks down here in SW Florida so we'll see. Thanks for lookin out for me Tim.

from Online Editors wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I fished off a paddleboard with spinning gear for stripers in the backbay/sodbank complexes of the Long Island South Shore all spring. The platform has some killer advantages. 1.) It's faster than a kayak when you're going into current. Kind of skips over the top of the water. I outpaddled a buddy who was in an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 on a half-mile sprint back to the dock into a headwind and tide. You have to kneel though if the wind is up.
2.) It's super easy to get on and off the sodbanks. Paddle up to a bank, lean back a bit and the nose slides right up, dead silent. You can stay standing on the board (which becomes a lot more stable when the nose is supported) and cast to all the banks within range, then backpaddle, drift a 10 yards, and repeat. Or you can simply step off and walk the banks. No better stealthy way to fish.
3.) Much better sight picture and casting range and accuracy than sitting down.
4.) Super portable and easy to shlep around. Mine weighs 30 pounds. My kayak weighs 70.
5.) Get tired? Want to take a nap? Beach it on wet sand or swamp and you can lay down for a snooze.

Disadvantages:
Wind blows you all over the place
Hard to fish from it in open water; it's difficult to shift your feet and keep your balance, so your angle of attack is limited to how far you can twist your torso. Even in a light wind or current your nose gets pushed off target quickly, so you're constantly having to put down your rod, pick up your paddle, and readjust.
Wake makes you stop fishing to concentrate on balance. Big waves suck. Fishing in swell is a challenge. It's harder to balance without a paddle in your hands in these conditions.

Board I used was a Starboard Fisherman. Has rod holders, tie-downs, some other nice features.

Nate Matthews, Digital Director

from 007 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I'm definately fishing the wrong locales.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

My buddy and I were doing this this with pieces of styrofoam that floated down the Ecourse Creek from the FORD plant in Detroit. We would spear pike & carp, shoot our wristrockets at Norway Rats and look for places to build forts & other exploring of the youthful offenders

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

What's next....solar powered?

from soonerhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

That Tim sure knows how to sell an idea! I'm ready to go fishing!

from dbroadus wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

If you get tired of standing up on the BOTE board, you can always add a YETI cooler to the paddleboard package to sit on and up against the fishing stand. Check out www.boteboard.com for more info on the worlds first SUP paddleboard actually designed for fishing too!

from jbird wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

The BOTE clip was the BEST.....FISHING.....VIDEO.....EVER!!!

from crosshairy wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

It seems ludicrous to fish off of a platform like that without a PFD. I think the odds of falling off are astronomical if you are on water with powered boats throwing wakes around. Does this type of thing meet some sort of exemption for PFDs? I don't remember the regulations around that stuff.

I also don't see where I would be able to keep any fish, so it looks like a 100% C&R craft.

I wouldn't mind seeing one with a simple catamaran-type side balancing arm that could double as a small storage area and reduce the likelihood of tumping me and my stuff out from a boat wake.

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Ask yourself, would Chief Brody and Captain Quint have used one?

Didn't think so.

from dlitten wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

Great eye candy. No sure how practical fishing from one of those is. Pretty sure I could wade out farther than she paddled too. I'd love to see someone hooked up with a fish on one of those.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from gxx9sdb wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Online Editors wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

3.) Much better sight picture and casting range and accuracy than sitting down.

Disadvantages:
Wind blows you all over the place

Nate Matthews, Digital Director

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Kneel down.....and lose cool points?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Sayfu, Just wait - SUP boarders will be all over your rivers in no time.

Buckhunter - There already is one. Check it. http://diablopaddlesports.com/

Koldkut - Yeah, you're right. Total lack of style points...

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I'm just sayin go to about the 2:49 mark.

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

There was a kayak in that video?

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Chad - huh?

from chadlove wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I think you could simply kneel down and be fine...

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

nice

from Tony Berg wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Looks like fun.... I wonder if she could teach how to do it.

from JeffW8722 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

See, if your gonna market something, this is how you do it!

from damo450 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

These are great videos. Not sure what they are about, but, kudos OL.

from ajwilson1978 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from COtroutBum wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

does she come with the board? just askin...

from abcdpete wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I'm definately fishing the wrong locales.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

What's next....solar powered?

from soonerhunter wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

That Tim sure knows how to sell an idea! I'm ready to go fishing!

from dbroadus wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

The BOTE clip was the BEST.....FISHING.....VIDEO.....EVER!!!

from crosshairy wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

Ask yourself, would Chief Brody and Captain Quint have used one?

Didn't think so.