International Fly Tackle Show: New Product Pipeline is Wide Open

FlyTalk

August 18, 2011

International Fly Tackle Show: New Product Pipeline is Wide Open

By Kirk Deeter

Tim and I are at the International Fly Tackle dealer show in New Orleans. And I feel kind of like a little kid in the biggest toy store in the world. I wake up in the morning, leap out of bed, and go play. What's really cool is that we're coordinating the "New Product Showcase" area of the show for Angling Trade magazine. So we've collected all the hottest new products planned for 2012 in one space. it's like creating the most cutting-edge fly shop in the world.

Now, you never know what you're going to get in a given year. Some years are heavy on rod innovation, some are all about waders and boots. 2012 is going to be a boom year in new products, pretty much across the board. There are right around 250 individual new products on display in the New Product Showcase. I haven't seen that many in years.

I haven't gotten to play with them all yet, but there are a number of things that caught my eye. The Sage "One" rod is all about accuracy, and I think the company hit the mark. Hardy has a very sweet one-piece rod line: 8'-10" for shipping regulations. I did noodle around with a 4-weight, and the feel is impressive. I think Redington is rock solid in a number of categories, rods and rain gear included. The Simms rain suit is the real deal, but I'm really liking their revamped lower pricepoint waders. Hatch Outdoors, Nautilus, and a new company called "Cheeky" have smokin' new reels. NRS has a really interesting inflatable stand-up paddleboard. And the list goes on and on...

We'll be getting into the details once we start casting, cranking, and putting these things through the paces. But the news of the day is that the new product pipeline is definitely wide-open.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

To my negative way of thinking, and you have to explain yourself well to change it, a lot of new products are barking at the moon when it comes to fly fishing. The basic tenant of flyfishing is "simplicity" is the beauty. It is based on the notion that you do it, and I don't want some wiz-bang-boom product to do it for me, like an automatic fly reel for example. The "ONE" by Sage is laughable to me. Accuracy depends on a rod that throws a straight line not a rod that deflects off to the side, and YOUR CASTING ABILITY. If Sage made a rod in the past, that cost over $600 and didn't cast a straight line?..please! And I posted before, I asked the editor of Flyfisherman Mag. what the action was for the "ONE", and he couldn't even tell me! Said it was "responsive" What?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

Looking forward to getting caught up on what's new, what's good and what's not.

Have been slamming the carp here in Ohio. Waiting for Sage to come out with a new rod just for carp or maybe Carp Unlimited?

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

buckhunter...Maybe a Sage, dough ball, carp rod that can cast a dough ball without it coming off the hook. That sounds as practical as "the ONE" marketing.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

KD, you should let us test ALL 250! I'd volunteer for the Simms waders since mine are shot and can't really buy new ones right now.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

anything new in the fly tying world. can't wait for some reviews. you guys have the worst job in the world!

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

KD, I envy your position. As a guy that travels a ton for work and goes to trade shows....not much of my travel or trade show experience rivals yours.

I look forward to hearing about what new products are coming down the pike, and which ones survive.

One thought I'm having is will there be a breakdown of products brought to market by established companies, and what products are from a 'start-up' or 'emerging' company? I'm always pulling for the little guy to make it big, and sometimes the best innovation comes from there.

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I just got curious and looked at Angling Trade's website.

I can't believe we have to wait 100 years to see the new products :-) (The story states "products to be available in 2112"....someone must be a Rush fan)

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

The big bow is about to be pulled and the box opened! Finally reviews I can trust and look forward to. Thanks guys for doing the footwork. By the way, I know a bunch of people on this forum who would love to take your sloppy seconds for a test ride. Are you in Sayfu? No? Ok you guys can send me his. Great job on the new website/zine.

from blackhatarcher wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

this might be spam but... Sayfu do post on every article?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

Looking forward to getting caught up on what's new, what's good and what's not.

from fflutterffly wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I just got curious and looked at Angling Trade's website.

from blackhatarcher wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

this might be spam but... Sayfu do post on every article?