Tie Talk: $100 Worth of Flies for $17

FlyTalk

November 22, 2011

Tie Talk: $100 Worth of Flies for $17

By Tim Romano

This week Mr. Jay Zimmerman brings all you winter trout tiers a real deal. $100 worth flies for just 17 bucks from the man himself.

What's it take to set yourself up for success this winter? Less than a $20 bill and a couple of hours some Sunday afternoon when your team is getting blown out by division rivals.

This season has enough unpleasantness. Favorite lakes are frozen over, it's dark when work lets out, and everyone in the country gets to witness how bad my Cleveland Browns are.

You don't have to add a fly tying debt spiral too. Choose the one fly pattern you know you will be pulling out of your box the most--take an hour or two, and save yourself a good deal of cash. Pick a pattern that you use the most, the easiest and fastest to tie, and takes the least amount of materials. This should be easy, because the best winter flies are tiny and simple. The RS2, Poison Tung or Zebra Midge are prefect examples. Here is the ingredient list for for 50 Zebra Midge's. That's right, 50, and it costs you only $17.

Material List:

- Umpqua Feather Merchants U201 #20
- Two 25 packs of Spirit River Brite Beads 2mm (5/64") Black Nickel (or Silver)
- Small Silver UTC Ultra Wire
- 6/0 Black UNI-Thread

There. $100 worth of flies. Now get tying.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Here is another way to get flies for cheap. Met a guy this weekend while launching my boat at the ramp. He saw my fly rods laying on the deck and asked what I was after. I explained muskie. He pulled out a huge box of muskie flies and just started to hand them over. One of each pattern. I felt very uncomfortable because they were well tied flies on good hooks. Turns out he is starting his own fly business and wanted to see how his flies worked. We ended up fishing together on a very cold, wet and windy day to no avail (one follow) but I made a new friend and caught a cold so the day was not a complete waste. We already have plans to fish together in the spring.

Also, this dude could double haul like no other.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

What are some other good patterns to try? I'd like to do some winter fishing, but have absolutely no midge patterns and probably none small enough to entice a winter trout.

from Flytieflyfish wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Buckhunter, I do the same thing when I run into a fly fisherman on the water. I don't mind handing over a few patterns that work for me at that spot. It gives me a reason to tie up more flies.

Badsmerf, in the past I've used size 22 black midge dries, Black hackle tail, black thread body, thin black hackle, no wing. The same in dun. The fly doesn't float well. It catches trout though. good luck.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

LOL! Great post Tim! A little elbow grease and $17 bucks and presto!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Buckhunter...That was a very generous gesture the guy provided you. I can visualize a muskie fly.....about $5 a piece in a catalog. There are a lot of materials, and time and expense that goes into each fly. If I were a middle man, and they were made in some foreign land, that is one thing, but USA made, and maybe by me?!...quite a gift.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Sayfu, I restocked my muskie flies this summer. They cost between $8-$25. If I ever snag the $25 one I'm going in after it.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I would do likewise.

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

A hundred bucks to anyone who posts a video of Buckhunter diving into the drink trying to grab a muskie that he just broke off, yelling 'gimme me back my fly, you bastard!'

from NWflyfisher wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

badsmerf,

Try using sizes 18-22 midges in red, brown, and olive with and without beads. Also use an F Fly in red or orange as a indicator. In the Northwest and Pacific areas, trout and whitefish will hit the indicator before the midge.

from NWflyfisher wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Another type of cheap flies is the F Fly that originated in Europe. Size 16 TMC 206BL, asst CDC feather packs, 8/0 Uni-Thread also asst colors. Thats it. The F Fly will take about any fish during anytime of the year. Works great here in the North West Pacific.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

Also, this dude could double haul like no other.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Flytieflyfish wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from Greg Madrigal wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

LOL! Great post Tim! A little elbow grease and $17 bucks and presto!
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago