Video: L.L. Bean Recreates Vintage Fishing Cover

FlyTalk

February 17, 2012

Video: L.L. Bean Recreates Vintage Fishing Cover

By Tim Romano

A couple of weeks ago the L.L. Bean catalog showed up at my doorstep like it has been doing for years.

I'm not gonna lie. Typically I grab it out of the mailbox and head straight to the recycling bin. This one was different though, and I'm guessing many of you may have seen it. The cover had a striking image that I could not stop looking at, but couldn't figure out why. Something was strange about it. Strange in a good way though -- I simply thought it was a really weird looking painting. Days later I looked at it again an realized it was indeed a photograph. Being the inquisitive type--and one who you all know likes both fishing and photography--I really wanted to know how they accomplished it.

Of course I didn't have to look to far. Being the great marketers that they are, L.L. Bean decided to do a "making of" video for their 100 year anniversary cover. I thought this was pretty interesting and hope you all do too.

from asmxxiv wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Tim,
I'm not making accusations, but as with the entire fly fishing blogosphere, this showed up on another very popular blog (moldy chum) yesterday ( a blog which also made a story eerily similar to another blog (fish jerks) in a different post on the same day). There's no obligation to give credit, but it seems right. It's an issue across the board, not just with fly talk.

On another note, I think Field & Stream would be a great outlet for a 'Best Outdoor Blogs' from each respective member of your blog writers. I do enjoy fly talk and look forward to your photography, so I hope I don't come across the wrong way. I think blogging is a little different in that you hit a multitude of sites and dont necessarily hit one over the other, so it should be less a competitive atmosphere than a community.

Rant over,
Andy

from timromano wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Andy,

Huh... I always give links and credit where it's due. I honestly hadn't looked at MoldyChum yesterday, but did find the LL Bean Cover pretty cool. Sorry to disappoint...

I do appreciate the kudos on fly talk and will pass on your recommendations to my editors.

Tim

from asmxxiv wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Tim,

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. As I said earlier, I didn't want to make accusations. It just seems (understandably so) that many fly fishing blogs are going to the same sources. You did say the catalog sparked your interest. I apologize, and truly think it would be good for F&S to do a best blogs feature in the future. I'm a third generation subscriber to the magazine, but get a lot of my outdoor entertainment through blogs.

Take care.
Andy

from Sayfu wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

To the Bean point...LL Bean has done a great job now of marketing, and selling outdoor products for a looooong, loooong, time...stayed the course when others shifted their focus, and many folded.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago

Tim, this was a great little video, I appreciate you sharing. It was interesting to see the amount of work they went through to get the shots. Those were some really nice brookies the kid had too! Thanks again.

from clgoogl wrote 2 years 7 weeks ago

I thoroughly enjoyed that cover. Thanks for highlighting this and sharing the video.

from asmxxiv wrote 2 years 8 weeks ago