Would You Utilize an Online Dating Site for Single Anglers?

FlyTalk

March 15, 2012

Would You Utilize an Online Dating Site for Single Anglers?

By Tim Romano

My friend here in the Denver area is a single mom who's really getting into fly fishing and had the idea to launch a site that's dedicated to getting folks who are interested in fishing and single a place where they can potentially go and meet, and do fishy things. Hehe…

It's called Cast2.me and at this point is really just a placeholder. There's also more info at the Cast2me Facebook page. The site has a place to sign up and stay informed on what they have to offer, and a bit of info about a singles only retreat at a lodge in Utah later in the summer.

I'm hesitant to call it a dating site, because at this point, it's not. When I asked my friend about it she basically replied with well, "we're not really sure what it's going to turn into." According to her Cast2me will be organizing group activities such as river clean-ups (clean and cast) and 'get away' fishing retreats all over the united states with hopes of expanding worldwide.

Honestly, I'm curious if something like this would work. It seems logical to me that this turns into a dating site of sorts for folks that have many things in common. My question to you is if you're single or hypothetically speaking so, would you utilize a site like this to find a potential date/significant other? Have at it.

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I'm too much into fishing that I can't mix fishing and dating. Maybe other can though, like Sayfu.

from Captjim wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I guess I could picture some guy in the sporting goods section of Wallm@rt asking some hot chick in Kakis if he could buy her a 'wooleyburger". Who knows, stranger things have happened but there are a lot of unanswered questions here. The guys would definitely have to list on their profile how tall their fly rods are and the women would have to list what size waders they wear. We all know how that's going to workout. Would the woman only search the profiles that included a photo of the guys boat? Would the men automatically exclude women who couldn't back a boat trailer? This could get pretty ugly. Should the first date be Dutch and they split the cost of bait? After he "poppers" the question, would the new couple register at Bass Pro or Cabellas? There could also be some really bad things about it like having to fight over the G Loomus flyrods in the divorce settlement and God forbid what would happen if she got caught messing around with some other guys fly. To make matters worse, all the women will be talking again about "size matters" and "technique". I don't think they have a pill yet that helps a man catch a bigger fish. The whole thing sounds pretty "cutthroat" to me. But at least now women will actually be able to "catch their rainbow".

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I seem to recall a spring break to Steamboat Springs where we all thought it would be a good place to find a temporary lover. Needless to say, about 1 lady to each 100 guys. I see that lodge being imbalanced in a similar manner.

Nice lodge though, stayed in Altamont, UT last night as a matter of fact at the LC Ranch. Great fishing opportunities. Maybe the guys can catch some female fish if nothing else.

from wannabe1 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I don't care who you are, captjim's post is hilarious.

from wannabe1 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Sounds almost like those group tours that senior citizens do. You know when you stop at the travel center and there's a greyhound bus the size of a football field and the seniors just keep coming out or when the same thing happens at a Golden Corral?? Could be pretty cool though.

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

When I was single, it would have been nice to find a young lady who liked to fish like me. Now, I'm married to a lovely woman who has no interest in fishing, who lets me fish with friends or on my own. Whew... It's been tough.

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Being married to a beautiful woman who loves to fish, I can tell you that it isn't as great as you'd think. Being married to this woman is amazing, fishing with her is brutal. Double the price for anything you dream about. Ultimate fly rod set up:($1,000)*2, Airline ticket to Alaska ($700) *2 New fancy waders ($400) *2, watching your wife pull salmon after salmon from a pristine Alaska river: Downright depressing. Fortunately our marriage is going strong but in the event of a divorce, I will be fishing with kids arm floaties, a willow stick pole, and the final little string left of my dignity. I suppose some ladies dream of being floated away by Prince Charming, just god forbid you ask her to get on the oars.

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

In case my wife reads this: I love you hun and it's all for laughs, but can I please have my 5 weight back

from Jen Kugler wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Yes I would. ;)

from JoBer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Wonder if the ratio will be better than 10:1.

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I don't know how successful a site for "dating" like this would be. However, I could see it being a good site for finding company to fish with. Often people will simply fish alone because they don't know anyone who will fish with them. This would be a good way for people to fish together.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Captjim's your post was outstanding. At my age I don't think she would be interested in rubber worms and with my marrital status I think I will have to pass on this dating site. I only have 1 spinning rod and 1 flyrod and can't aford to lose either one of them.

from fotofisher wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I once got a 8.5ft 4pc 4wt, reel and new fly line line for my girlfriend....best trade I ever made.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

First date with my late wife was fishing for ocean run cohos on my 24' cruiser in the Striats of Jaun de Fuca, August 6, 1987. She was fatally injured in a car accident a year and a half ago, ten months after we tragically and unexpectadly lost our 14 year-old son in his sleep. Both of them loved that cruiser and fishing. Cathy did her best fly fishing but she was quite small, just 4'11" and 80 lbs. Wes was high-functioning autistic but he sure enjoyed fishing. See some photos of us in my profile album.

Anyway, this town is really slim pickings as far as female company goes. A very large blue collar smoking type crowd with ethnic roots (Finnish, Itallian, and Ukranian). I have tried the computer dating thing out of desparation and it's pretty much unproductive for guys like me. First, I'm almost sixty. Not a sack of wrinkles yet and my chest hasn't fallen into my drawers entirely. Nevertheless, I'm sure many gals figure I'm too much of a liability given the age and tragic baggage. Seems like all the possibles that do show up just want to tour Europe, spend five days a week at the gym, or play on a Carribean beach. A very few are interested in "camping" but only if it involves a thirty foot pop-out trailer and full hookups.

If this gal gets a site going that develops into some way for folks with a genuine interest in outdoors to get together, more power to her. I could certainly be of some assitance if she'd like to organize something for an Alaska trophy trout/salmon fly fishing excursion. I worked up there for one season a few years back (again, see photo album). Please do have her contact a lawyer for a liability consult before she gets too far along. There are some scary types that haunt the computer dating scene (and I have encountered a couple on here as well!). She will need to ensure that her venture is not going to be responsible for any mishaps. I sure wish her well with this endeavor!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Sorry, that date was wrong: we met on August 6 but didn't get together until nearly a month later.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

The Blonde loves to fish, Deep Sea ocean fishing with tickets at $250 a person off season. Not to many days I can afford to do that. Her and her "posse" get together an fish and party at least 1 day a year. They rent the boat all day (or all morning) and they all wear bright white linen dresses (easier to bleach the blood off I am told).

from jamesti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

it's a decent concept but i can see too many things going wrong with it if it turns into a dating thing.

from jay wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

sausagefest.

from Nate Schrader wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Hey, at least it will organize stuff for single fishermen (and women, I think and hope, Superman Jay)to do. Using the meet-ups as a platform for doing good works seems like a good idea to me.

from EVince wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The obvious question: Would it be catch and release?

from Kristina Bailey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I would love to find someone to date that enjoyed fishing and travel as much as I do. Maybe having a couple common interests would make it easier than chasing rainbows!

from Captjim wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from badsmerf wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Rhythm Rider wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from wannabe1 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I don't care who you are, captjim's post is hilarious.

from wannabe1 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from dleurquin wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Jen Kugler wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Yes I would. ;)

from JoBer wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Wonder if the ratio will be better than 10:1.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from fotofisher wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from jay wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

sausagefest.

from Nate Schrader wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from EVince wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The obvious question: Would it be catch and release?

from Kristina Bailey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago