Bottle Openers: New-School or Old-School?

FlyTalk

April 30, 2012

Bottle Openers: New-School or Old-School?

By Kirk Deeter

There's a special pocket in my fishing vest dedicated to one of the most important tools of all--the bottle opener.  While I have been known to crack a cold bottle of suds now and then, my very favorite thing to drink on a hot river day is an ice-cold Coca-Cola in a glass bottle--preferably of the Mexican variety, which is made with real sugar.

Thing is, I've narrowed down my choices to three openers , and I can't choose a winner.

I've long been fond of my Simms fish-shaped aluminum opener, because that also doubles as a keychain. It cost $6, and I haven't been able to destroy it, though I've done my best.

Yeti--the cooler folks--have recently introduced their own "beverage entry tool."   This one looks like a tarpon, and it not only has a bottle cap lever, it also has grippy teeth that will help you twist off bottle caps.  It costs $10.  My only problem with this one is that I can't ever remember where I put it, so maybe it needs a permanent home in a vest pocket.

The problem with that is, I'd have to displace my coveted church key, which reads "Schmidt's of Philadelphia" on one side, and "Beer-Ale Brewers Since 1860" on the other.  That's a classic I'm pretty sure I cannot part with.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

As much as I like bottled brews, more and more places are placing a ban on glass containers, thankfully, Upslope comes in cans! You can't displace the old church key, it's familiar, it's been there, and you can't set it aside. Likely, you will put it where you won't forget it and....you know the rest.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Fishing exposes some of my worse vices. I can be found smoking cigars, dipping and drinking from a flask, all simultaneously. Having to deal with a bottle opener would only complicate things.

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I find a bottle opener/key chain combo to be crucial to my well being.

However, Koldkut is right, every brewery worth its salt is producing beer in cans (at least here in CO) so the absolute NEED of an opener is slowly waning.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Deeter you are in luck! The YETI BET has an eye on the tarpon that can allow it to be converted in to a keychain exactly like the Simms one you have. It is more of a multi tool then the Simms as it can assist with a twist top bottle. And some of you might be wondering why on earth you need assistance with a twist top beverage. Well have you ever tried to open any kind of bottle up with either slimey fish hands or worse yet, nearly frozen numb fingers that can barely grip the rod?

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I’ve clearly been out of the loop since the press release says it happened back in Feb but I just wanted to congratulate you Mr. Deeter on your new position as Trout Unlimited’s new Editor of TROUT magazine. As a member of TU and as a F&S subscriber I’m excited that I will get to see your “touch” in two of my favorite publications in the future. Thanks for all your hard work, as a fellow fisherman, sportsman and conservationist; I’m glad we have guys like you on our team.
You do indeed deserve to use those bottle openers, but if I where choosing I would stick with the church key on the vest for simplicity and ease of use, move the Simms to your keys and toss the yeti. There should never be a twist off that defeat's a man’s hands, if it happens he doesn’t deserve to drink the beer anyways; he obviously hasn’t been working hard enough to earn it.

from Blue Ox wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Stick with the churchkey. No johnnie come lately should ever come between you & an old friend.

from kirkdeeter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Thank you.

from johnm98765 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I've never seen the point in taking bottles fishing. Too heavy, take up too much room, and too hard to keep them from breaking. At home it's a different story, but outside I'm more than happy with a can of Miller High Life. No reason to get fancy out there.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sayfu wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Back in my day when men were men I latched my teeth onto that bottle cap, and pryed it off...no need for a bottle opener.

from goin2themountains wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Sayfu, that was back in the day (when I had my own teeth). I like the bottled microbrews enough to make wieght and space allowances as a special treat for myself. Lately my favorite opener has been a full size brand name butane lighter. Close hand around the neck of the bottle, with opposing hand put bottom edge of lighter against serrations of cap, a little leverage over the first finger knuckle of hand around the bottle, and ta da. Dual purpose opener and fire starter.

from vince wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

You may need to keep that church key if this beer is any good:
draftmag.com/beereditor/the-most-hipster-beer-in-the-world/

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I'd stick to the church key, but I do love my multitool. Buck, it is the same for me, I have a thing for dip and I'll do it on the water rather than anywhere else and I'll sneak a pull from a jar once in awhile while on the water.

from Captjim wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

When I lived in Mexico we would open our bottled Cokes or beer simply by turning one upside down and hooking the caps to pry the other one open. No hardware needed. Of course when we got down to the last one we would use our dive knife to pop it open.

from dave63go wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I vote for the classic churchkey. And I suggest you do this: go to Ebay, and search for the churchkey opener from your long-past, local brewery. I have a "Good 'ol Potosi Beer" churchkey, half a century old, and as I use it, I feel a brief and pleasant link to past simple times. A mere $5 or so on Ebay.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I just use my pocket knife. Just grip the bottle high on the neck, point the blade away from you, and pry the cap off, using your knuckle as the fulcrum. Can also use pliers, or anything flat and hard. Once you figure it out you'll never use an opener again.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Sayfu - I did that util I took a big chip out of a tooth. I don't want a beer that bad.

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nothing beats the Homer Simpson talking bottle opener!

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

sayfu, thats back when you actaully had teeth right? KD, I would go with the Yeti. It looks cooler, has more purposes and doubt anyone else has it.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I have used side cutters, dikes, screwdrivers, the back of my knife, electrical shears. the bumper of my truck but never a toy dolphin.

from gbonthefly wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

To those fellow dippers, the edge of a tin under the bottle cap and pryed against the side of your index finger in a closed fist works like a charm

from country road wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I always liked the back of a knife or the butt end of a hammer handle to pop the top. You can make a bottle cap hit the ceiling if you do it just right.

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Since when does one need a device to open a bottle? Streamside is littered with IOD's, Improvized Opening Devices. Personally, I'm never without my P-38 as it saves wear and tear on my blades.

from Hornd wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Loon makes the nip and sip, which solves 2 quandaries at same time.
It's not cheap, but when is weight savings cheap?
loonoutdoors.com/nip-n-sip.html

from dleurquin wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

If you need a bottle of beer opened, use a good old fashioned generic church key.

from Kimber708 wrote 1 year 48 weeks ago

Keep the churchkey in your vest where it belongs. I personally favor the Swiss Army knife; generally that's the tool that falls to hand. My father preferred the unused seatbelt on his pickup - it was the 70's and attitudes were much different on certain things.

from greytover wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

i bought the yeti one and didn't even think about it not being a key chain, the inner fly tier in me just dug through my material, got some bead chain, and fixed that problem. i think it was worth every penny, this thing seems to weigh a good bit to be so small, i highly doubt it can be destroyed

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I find a bottle opener/key chain combo to be crucial to my well being.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from bassman06 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Captjim wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from dave63go wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Greg Madrigal wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Nothing beats the Homer Simpson talking bottle opener!

from badsmerf wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from gbonthefly wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from country road wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Hornd wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Loon makes the nip and sip, which solves 2 quandaries at same time.
It's not cheap, but when is weight savings cheap?
loonoutdoors.com/nip-n-sip.html